Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4
Author Message
 Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

OK, the next annoyance is that Tcl 8.3s stubs library (at least on
Linux) is named libtclstubs.a, whereas the Tcl 8.4 stubs library is
named libtclstubs8.4.a.... How to write ONE makefile that will link
correctly with either of these.. sheesh :)

P.S. I took a hint and looked in the Wiki, found
http://www.*-*-*.com/ 's not much help.

P.P.S http://www.*-*-*.com/

--JYL

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:17:10 GMT
 Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

Quote:

> OK, the next annoyance is that Tcl 8.3s stubs library (at least on
> Linux) is named libtclstubs.a, whereas the Tcl 8.4 stubs library is
> named libtclstubs8.4.a.... How to write ONE makefile that will link
> correctly with either of these.. sheesh :)

I have this in tclConfig.sh:

# The name of the Tcl stub library (.a):
TCL_STUB_LIB_FILE='libtclstub8.4${TCL_DBGX}.a'

# The name of the Tcl stub library (.a):
TCL_STUB_LIB_FILE='libtclstub8.3${TCL_DBGX}.a'

but that's Debian, and they've done a few things a little differently.
In any case, the information should be in there.  Pity we don't have a
tool like Apache's apxs to query for this information...

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:27:16 GMT
 Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4
David

Thanks!

For some bizzare reason the tcl stubs on my box (Linux RH 7.3) is named
libtclstubs.a (*NOT* libtclstubs8.3.a) and it's Tcl 8.3.3. I'm wondering
how common this mis-naming is. FWIW the shared object (non-stub) is
named libtcl8.3.so, sheesh..

When I build Tcl 8.4 from sources I get the proper libtclstubs8.4.a. My
problem is not how to fix this locally but globally, for users that may
not even have enough access privileges to fix this and that just want to
build e4graph (http://e4graph.sourceforge.net).

I added this in my configure.in, after I find where the directory is
that contains Tcl link libraries:

if test x"${ac_cv_c_tcl}" != x ; then
     TCL_LIB=${ac_cv_c_tcl_lib}
     TCL_INC=${ac_cv_c_tcl_inc}
     TCL_STB=`ls $(TCL_LIB)/libtclstubs*`
     AC_MSG_RESULT(${TCL_INC}/tcl.h)
else
     TCL_LIB="# No Tcl library found"
     TCL_INC="# No tcl.h found"
     TCL_STB="# No libtclstubs.a found"
     AC_MSG_RESULT(not found)
fi

and of course, at the end:

AC_SUBST(TCL_INC)
AC_SUBST(TCL_LIB)
AC_SUBST(TCL_STB)

I'm testing now, not sure if this is a good solution. One downside is it
works only when there is just a single release of Tcl installed :(

--JYL

Quote:

>>OK, the next annoyance is that Tcl 8.3s stubs library (at least on
>>Linux) is named libtclstubs.a, whereas the Tcl 8.4 stubs library is
>>named libtclstubs8.4.a.... How to write ONE makefile that will link
>>correctly with either of these.. sheesh :)

> I have this in tclConfig.sh:

> # The name of the Tcl stub library (.a):
> TCL_STUB_LIB_FILE='libtclstub8.4${TCL_DBGX}.a'

> # The name of the Tcl stub library (.a):
> TCL_STUB_LIB_FILE='libtclstub8.3${TCL_DBGX}.a'

> but that's Debian, and they've done a few things a little differently.
> In any case, the information should be in there.  Pity we don't have a
> tool like Apache's apxs to query for this information...

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:47:07 GMT
 Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

Quote:

> I'm testing now, not sure if this is a good solution. One downside is it
> works only when there is just a single release of Tcl installed :(

That depends on which tclConfig.sh they pick up.  So long as the different
versions have different versions of that file (e.g. in different locations) then
many installations of Tcl can coexist.

Donal.
--

-- Once more it's a case of Linux having hidden depths compared to Windows'

Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:19:37 GMT
 Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

Quote:

>>I'm testing now, not sure if this is a good solution. One downside is it
>>works only when there is just a single release of Tcl installed :(

> That depends on which tclConfig.sh they pick up.  So long as the different
> versions have different versions of that file (e.g. in different locations) then
> many installations of Tcl can coexist.

That's correct.  I regularly work with dozens of different builds across
numerous platforms.  You should not have to concern yourself with the
various .so or .a names, just a path to a valid tclConfig.sh file.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:04:49 GMT

1. CONST Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

2. Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4

3. problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

4. Tcl 8.4 more DOSsy than 8.3 ?

5. 8.4 vs 8.3

6. trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

7. glob difference between 8.3 and 8.4

8. Tk 8.3 -> 8.4, surprisingly slow text widget

9. cross-version voodoo: handling 8.3 / 8.4 private structure changes

10. Tcl/tk 8.0 vs. 8.4 Question

11. TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

12. Looking for the Tcl Plugin that is based on Tcl 8.3