Embedded vs. separate commands
Author Message
 Embedded vs. separate commands

The votes so far indicate that there is a strong preference for the
"embedded" approach to mathematical functions ("expr 2*cos($x)") over
the "separate commands" approach ("expr 2*[cos $x]").  Given the
lopsidedness of the voting (37 to 8 in favor of embedded) I hereby
declare the balloting over.  I'll implement the embedded approach in
7.0.  Just so you can see that I didn't fudge the votes, I'll include
below the list of people who voted for each approach.

Embedded:
---------

Separate Commands:
------------------

Sat, 17 Jun 1995 00:27:43 GMT
 Embedded vs. separate commands

Quote:

>The votes so far indicate that there is a strong preference for the
>"embedded" approach ... over
>the "separate commands" approach ... 37 to 8.

Gee, John, you told us not to post a thousand votes from SCO...   :-)

Seriously though, pretty much everything in Extended Tcl was added because
we needed some capability that wasn't already there in Tcl.  So here's a
case where a capability of TclX (FP math functions et al) is once again
brought into the baseline (as were files, arrays, and so forth),  so the
capability is now present, so TclX no longer needs its FP functions, except
perhaps for backwards compatibility.

As long as the capability is there, I am not going to get too hung up over
the differences...   And there were some good points made for the embedded
approach, although I still predict insubstantial performance differences
and am still a bit nervous about adding new syntax.

Happy new year, everyone.

--

"In a minute, I'll burp up your droid."

Sat, 17 Jun 1995 23:04:11 GMT

1. separate embedded procedures?

2. Using the command Separate

3. SORT VERB vs separate sort

4. Ada95 question: renaming as body vs separate

5. Loop separate sounds, separate intervals

6. Separate keyword and separate compilation with GNAT?

7. separate keyword and separate compilation with GNAT?

8. Python vs. Java for embedded scripting language (fwd)Python vs. Java for embedded scripting language

9. Printing embedded printer commands in TopSpeed

10. Embedding VCD file creation commands within VHDL code?

11. TSO commands embedded in COBOL.

12. Getting result of a command in embedded python