writing GUI with the Tcl/Tk APIs
Author Message
 writing GUI with the Tcl/Tk APIs

Quote:

>I was wondering if anyone has written an application using
>the Tcl/Tk APIs instead of a script?  Do anyone have any feedback on
>doing this?  What are the benefits of using Tcl/Tk API versus
>Motif (for example).

Tcl/Tk scripting is much different than Tcl/Tk C API programming.
The C API is not as robust (not as many useful internals exposed)
as the scripting interface, which can make it more difficult to
do what you want.  Furthermore, it is a waste of time (really) and
goes against the philosophy of Tcl/Tk (you're just making it hard
on yourself).

There are tools that will allow you to write using the scripting
APIs and then wrap them up into C or one executable.  ET and the
tcl2c program that comes with the plus patches are a couple.  See
the Tcl FAQs for more info on these kind of programs.

--
    Jeffrey Hobbs               "I'm really just a Tcl-bot"
    jeff.hobbs at acm.org | Jeffrey.Hobbs at oen.siemens.de

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Abstracted GUI APIs (was: RANT: Ruby GUI API)

2. conversion Tcl/Tk (with GUI) to Tcl (without GUI)

3. Using TK to read/write to serial port, allowing stdout display and TK GUI control

4. tcl/tk editor written in tcl/tk?

5. Incorporating Apache GUI into existing TCL/TK GUI

6. Newbie (moron) Question: C API with Tk script for GUI

7. Embedding Tcl/Tk in MFC windows application with real Tk GUI and multithread support

8. Embedding Tcl/Tk im MFC windows application in a multithreaded manner with real Tk GUI support

9. how to write from TCL to wxWindows GUI

10. How to use tcl to write a GUI to control a C program

11. tcl providing gui for application written in assembler

12. ANNOUNCE: IO Anywhere library project now as a Tcl/Tk Windows API