Using two displays
Author Message
 Using two displays

Hello,

I have two X displays on my desktop, with two keyboards, mice, etc.

I was looking at ways to integrate the two displays.  In particular
cut-and-paste between the two would be a real boon.

No problems, I thought.  Should be a simple job in tcl/tk.

So I wrote a script that had two entry boxes with the same
textvariable, one of which was the child of the root window, and the
other was the child of a toplevel using -screen $otherdisplay.

The problem is this - pasting into the second entry box does not work.
I get:
        Error: selection doesn't exist or form
        "STRING" not defined

It would see that tcl does not know about cut and paste on the second
screen.

The other problem would seem to do with focus - tk assumes that only
one of its windows will be focused at once.  So when I type on the
second window, after typing on the first I get:

invalid command name "??"
    while executing
"?? insert insert d"
    invoked from within
"if {"d" != ""} {
        ?? insert insert d
        tk_entrySeeCaret ??
        .b.entry insert insert d
        tk_entrySeeCaret .b.entry
    }"
    (command bound to event)

I could post my code if anyone is interested.

How can I fix this?  I guess some c is needed, doing more
initialization for the toplevel?

I thought this would be easy - anyone have any ideas?

--

Network Supervisor                  |Ph:  +61 89 466631
Information Technology Support      |Fax: +61 89 466630

Tue, 06 May 1997 15:25:44 GMT
 Using two displays

Quote:
>Hello,

>I have two X displays on my desktop, with two keyboards, mice, etc.

>I was looking at ways to integrate the two displays.  In particular
>cut-and-paste between the two would be a real boon.

>No problems, I thought.  Should be a simple job in tcl/tk.

>So I wrote a script that had two entry boxes with the same
>textvariable, one of which was the child of the root window, and the
>other was the child of a toplevel using -screen $otherdisplay.

>The problem is this - pasting into the second entry box does not work.
>I get:
>    Error: selection doesn't exist or form
>    "STRING" not defined

>It would see that tcl does not know about cut and paste on the second
>screen.

>The other problem would seem to do with focus - tk assumes that only
>one of its windows will be focused at once.  So when I type on the
>second window, after typing on the first I get:

>invalid command name "??"
>    while executing
>"?? insert insert d"
>    invoked from within
>"if {"d" != ""} {
>        ?? insert insert d
>        tk_entrySeeCaret ??
>    .b.entry insert insert d
>    tk_entrySeeCaret .b.entry
>    }"
>    (command bound to event)

>I could post my code if anyone is interested.

>How can I fix this?  I guess some c is needed, doing more
>initialization for the toplevel?

>I thought this would be easy - anyone have any ideas?

This is a known problem that John is aware of.  I don't know if the fix is
going to make it into Tk 4.0.  If my memory serves me correct, the fix requires
some C code modifications.

* Gerald W. Lester                        !   Voice:  (504)-889-2784     *
* Computerized Processes Unlimited        !   FAX:    (504)-889-2799     *

* Metairie, LA  70001                     !   Hours:  09:00-17:00 CDT    *

Thu, 08 May 1997 15:42:07 GMT

1. PC's with two displays

2. Displaying Data Two Dimensional Array Fields In A List Box

3. read two sets of data from two spread sheet files to two arrays problem

4. One application, two toplevel windows, different X displays????

5. Can _One_ Tcl/Tk script run _Two_ displays?

6. gsub over two lines using \n

7. using two files in awk

8. Using Two Browses on a Form

9. AI using two PCMCIA DAQ Cards

10. Measure time between two lines using MIO Card?

11. two-way communication using Data Socket

12. Two-Signal Edge-Separation Measurement using PCI-6602?