ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

This message is to announce the general availability of TK-WIN, the
TCL/TK package ported to Microsoft Windows.    We consider this version
to be an Alpha release, so be patient with any bugs/problems you might
encounter.   We have specific applications that we run under this
port, so we know it successfully runs some pretty complicated pieces
of TCL/TK.   It does, however, have many restrictions due to the {*filter*}
DOS environment.

The TK-WIN package is based upon TCL7.3 and TK3.6a.   This port would
not have been possible if Professor Ousterhout had not written such
wonderfully clean code (Thanks!).    We are placing the code in the
following location:

        ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/unix/tkwin-bin-withtcp.tar.gz
        ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/unix/tkwin-bin-notcp.tar.gz
        ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/unix/tkwin-src.tar.gz

tkwin-bin-* are the binaries with and without an old WINSOCK library
linked in (along with tclTCP-2.0).   tkwin-src.tar.gz is the sources
that were compiled with Borland C++ 4.0.

The port was painfully performed solely by Professor Ken K. Kubota here at
the University of Kentucky.   If you enjoy this package, send Prof. Kubota

been through in the last couple months:-).

We have set up a users mailing list for discussion about this port

Eric

|                         University of Kentucky                             |

Sat, 21 Dec 1996 00:14:53 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1
I couldn't find the distribution (2:45pm. 7/4). Is there any problem?

Thanx.
Charles

Quote:

--
Charles QC Chan

Undergraduate Computer Engineering
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Sat, 21 Dec 1996 02:48:37 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1
I cannot find the source files, although in
ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win there are some zip files with executables.

Will the source become available soon?

regards,

Neal

Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:04:07 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

Quote:
>I cannot find the source files, although in
>ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win there are some zip files with executables.
>Will the source become available soon?
>regards,
>Neal

Sorry, it might take a day to straighten all this out.   The
stuff in ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win is an old TCP version.   There will
be source and executables in the next day or so in the locations
I previously named.

So, just look for it in the next day or so; if you want a preview, grab
the stuff in ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Eric

|                         University of Kentucky                             |

Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:25:04 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1
I apologize for the erroneous announcement yesterday.   Consider this
one the real thing.   There are currently two versions, sources
and binaries.   Both require WINSOCK (Prof. Kubota decided that
he has suffered enough without trying to make a WINSOCKless
version:-), but it is likely that someone can/will do it with the
given sources.

If you decide that you would like to subscribe to the mailing list

tk-win-users list is for bug fixes, discussion, questions and
announcements.

Thanks!

---------------  New (corrected) announcement ---------------

This message is to announce the general availability of TK-WIN, the
TCL/TK package ported to Microsoft Windows.    We consider this version
to be an Alpha release, so be patient with any bugs/problems you might
encounter.   We have specific applications that we run under this
port, so we know it successfully runs some pretty complicated pieces
of TCL/TK.   It does, however, have many restrictions due to the {*filter*}
DOS environment.

The TK-WIN package is based upon TCL7.3 and TK3.6a.   This port would
not have been possible if Professor Ousterhout had not written such
wonderfully clean code (Thanks!).    We are placing the code in the
following location:

        ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win/tkwinbin.zip (binaries only)
        ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win/tkwin.zip    (sources)

tkwinbin.zip is the binaries with an old WINSOCK library
linked in (along with tclTCP-2.0).   tkwin.zip is the sources
that were compiled with Borland C++ 4.0.

The port was painfully performed solely by Professor Ken K. Kubota here at
the University of Kentucky.   If you enjoy this package, send Prof. Kubota

been through in the last couple months:-).

We have set up a users mailing list for discussion about this port

Eric

|                         University of Kentucky                             |

Sun, 22 Dec 1996 01:34:24 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

: So, just look for it in the next day or so; if you want a preview, grab
: the stuff in ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win.

We grabbed a copy of this, but can't seem to make wish run scripts
automatically - all we get is an empty wish window.  Is there a
knack to this?! :-)

Cheers,

Martin

Sat, 21 Dec 1996 17:44:01 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

|> : So, just look for it in the next day or so; if you want a preview, grab
|> : the stuff in ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win.
|>
|> We grabbed a copy of this, but can't seem to make wish run scripts
|> automatically - all we get is an empty wish window.  Is there a
|> knack to this?! :-)

MS-DOS doesn't understand #!., i.e. you can't do it. Nor is it a shell
so I don't think that the other tricks will work either. You need to
write a batch file that runs wish.

--

Michael Salmon

#include        <standard.disclaimer>
#include        <witty.saying>
#include        <fancy.pseudo.graphics>

Ericsson Telecom AB
Stockholm

Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:48:31 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

Quote:

> |> : So, just look for it in the next day or so; if you want a preview, grab
> |> : the stuff in ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win.
> |>
> |> We grabbed a copy of this, but can't seem to make wish run scripts
> |> automatically - all we get is an empty wish window.  Is there a
> |> knack to this?! :-)

> MS-DOS doesn't understand #!., i.e. you can't do it. Nor is it a shell
> so I don't think that the other tricks will work either. You need to
> write a batch file that runs wish.

> --

> Michael Salmon

> #include   <standard.disclaimer>
> #include   <witty.saying>
> #include   <fancy.pseudo.graphics>

> Ericsson Telecom AB
> Stockholm

I used the Program Manager to make a new icon to launch wish -f <tcl script> and
I used \fedloc\locator\locator as the tcl script but all I got was a blank window
with \fedloc\locator\locator as the title. Maybe I could get a little help from
the author?

Ted

Sun, 22 Dec 1996 21:45:27 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

Quote:

>|> : So, just look for it in the next day or so; if you want a preview, grab
>|> : the stuff in ftp.ms.uky.edu:/pub/tk-win.
>|>
>|> We grabbed a copy of this, but can't seem to make wish run scripts
>|> automatically - all we get is an empty wish window.  Is there a
>|> knack to this?! :-)
>MS-DOS doesn't understand #!., i.e. you can't do it. Nor is it a shell
>so I don't think that the other tricks will work either. You need to
>write a batch file that runs wish.

Well, at least he's getting a window... All I'm getting is missing
library file: pctcpapi.dll...
(archie says: zebra.cns.udel.edu:/pub/Gopher/pctcpapi.dll.22  is this
allright ?)

JW

Sun, 22 Dec 1996 22:53:31 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

: MS-DOS doesn't understand #!., i.e. you can't do it. Nor is it a shell
: so I don't think that the other tricks will work either. You need to
: write a batch file that runs wish.

Yep - perhaps a little more detail would have helped...

Associating wish.exe with *.tcl seemed like the obvious thing to do,
and sure enough it brought up a wish window, but wouldn't load the
script up

Anyway, this was with the old release - now the proper one has come
out I'll take a look at the source!! :-))

Cheers,

Martin

Sun, 22 Dec 1996 20:43:36 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

: This message is to announce the general availability of TK-WIN, the
: TCL/TK package ported to Microsoft Windows.    We consider this version

thank you for making it available

: to be an Alpha release, so be patient with any bugs/problems you might
: encounter.   We have specific applications that we run under this
: port, so we know it successfully runs some pretty complicated pieces
: of TCL/TK.   It does, however, have many restrictions due to the {*filter*}
: DOS environment.

perhaps the nastiest is that the code is GPL'd
is this likely to change?1
--
Simon Kenyon (My opinion, not that of ICL :-)
ICL - Information Technology Centre, Dublin, IRELAND

Mon, 23 Dec 1996 03:23:51 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

I've found that a good way to get error messages is to start up
wish and the use "source" to load my tcl code. This has given me
information that "wish -f" has not.

-reed
---------

Mon, 23 Dec 1996 09:26:32 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1

Quote:

>I've found that a good way to get error messages is to start up
>wish and the use "source" to load my tcl code. This has given me
>information that "wish -f" has not.

Try out the -c option "wish -c -f filename."   It will bring up
a console window along with the application.

Eric

|                         University of Kentucky                             |

Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:04:49 GMT

 [ 26 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Tcl/TK for MS-Windows (3.1/95)

2. Tcl/Tk and MS-Windows 3.1

3. TK for MS Windows 3.1

4. TCL/TK for Windows 3.1 (or MS-DOS) ?

5. REXX for MS Windows 3.1 or MS WfWG 3.11

6. Problems with tiled Windows under MS-Windows 3.1

7. Forth for MS Windows 3.1

8. Oberon for MS-Windows 3.1?????

9. Problem with installing MIT Scheme under MS Windows 3.1

10. A86 and MS Windows 3.1

11. Missing errors to standard output from wish under MS-Windows 3.1 with Win32S

12. st80 and MS Windows 3.1