new to tcl/tk need prelim info
Author Message
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

Hi world out there,
ok, here's my predicament : I wish to develop a GUI around my math
applications which run under Unix / Linux and are developped in fortran.

I seem to understand that tcl/tk might be the answer to my problem, but
where do I start ?
* where do I find basic info about tcl/tk ?
*is it really what I am looking for ?
* I have some experience about using GUI tools under VB (windows) but so
far I gather this is somewhat different, how do you code tcl/tk
and how do you implement this code with an application ?

At first I am looking to install this under Linux, can anyone help out ?
The web is crawling with info but I cannot find anything newbie-oriented
:
I can program, that's not a problem, but I want to program tcl.

well there you are, my cry for help.

thanks a million for anyone with any ideas.

cheers
GT

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

Quote:
> Hi world out there,
> ok, here's my predicament : I wish to develop a GUI around my math
> applications which run under Unix / Linux and are developped in Fortran.

This sounds a lot like what I'm doing.  I'm building a click-em-up to
format and fire off batch jobs to OS/390, maybe do some JES2 queries,
and log results to a Sybase database.

Quote:
> I seem to understand that tcl/tk might be the answer to my problem, but
> where do I start ?

My question exactly.  I got here because a friend told me about Tcl/Tk
2-3 years ago.   I didn't have a need until a couple months ago.  I've
put up Mandrake Linux and have been twinkin' with Tcl/Tk.

Quote:
> * where do I find basic info about tcl/tk ?

This is a great question.  I bought a book, "Tcl/Tk for Real
Progammers" by Flynt.   It has a lot of enthusiasm but not enough
structure.

Quote:
> *is it really what I am looking for ?

I think so.  As I said, there's a lot of enthusiasm but the basic
cookbook is missing.

Quote:
> * I have some experience about using GUI tools under VB (windows) but so
> far I gather this is somewhat different, how do you code tcl/tk
> and how do you implement this code with an application ?

Take a look at SpecTcl.  It will get you started but I haven't figured
out how (or when) to splice in my application logic.  I've tentatively
inserted some external calls such as calling XEDIT (the X editor not
the VM/CMS editor).  These seem to work but I've also gotten the source
file torqued around to the point that SpecTcl won't open it again.

Quote:
> At first I am looking to install this under Linux, can anyone help out ?

It came with my Mandrake distribution, I think it's everywhere.

Quote:
> The web is crawling with info but I cannot find anything newbie-oriented
> :
> I can program, that's not a problem, but I want to program tcl.

Exactly the problem that I have.   What's missing is a clear, simple
set of starting instructions.  I don't want all the options and
parameters.

1. How do I assign values to a variable?

2. What is a loop like?

3.  Show me an IF statement.

4.  Show me all this in small program that I can run.

5.  How do I read a file (and detect end of file.)?

.. and how do I do this with SpecTcl and wish?

I know it's there, maybe even in Flynt's book but I need a 10 page
"Childs Garden of Tcl", not a 685 page manual.

Quote:
> well there you are, my cry for help.

> thanks a million for anyone with any ideas.

> cheers
> GT

Perhaps we can bat this back and forth.  Put up examples of our
twinking and the experts would help us out.    We could use "NQ"  Nubie
Question in the subject line.  If a couple of us learn Tcl this way, it
could be consolidated into a FAQ or manual for beginners who can
already program.

By the way, I work in S/390 assembly language, PL/I, Rexx, and C.  I've
taught VB and built large systems in Basic but don't put it on my
resume.  I also picked up an M.S. Computer Science so I know something
about an efete academic's view of computing.
--
cory hamasaki

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

Quote:
>Perhaps we can bat this back and forth.  Put up examples of our
>twinking and the experts would help us out.    We could use "NQ"  Nubie
>Question in the subject line.  If a couple of us learn Tcl this way, it
>could be consolidated into a FAQ or manual for beginners who can
>already program.

You could also visit:

http://mini.net/cgi-bin/wikit/526.html

Which is where a lot of interesting Tcl code snippets go on a
saturday night.

--

The LIGO Laboratory, MS 18-34         | http://www.ralphmag.org
California Institute of Technology    | http://www.yellow5.com

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>> * where do I find basic info about tcl/tk ?

>This is a great question.  I bought a book, "Tcl/Tk for Real
>Progammers" by Flynt.   It has a lot of enthusiasm but not enough
>structure.

1.  "ProNews/2 User", e-mail to you bounces.
2.  How are you finding the online tutorials whose
    URLs we've sent?
3.  Clif Flynt will want to hear from you about your
    experience with his book.  I expect he'll drop
    in before long.
Quote:
>1. How do I assign values to a variable?

>2. What is a loop like?

>3.  Show me an IF statement.

>4.  Show me all this in small program that I can run.

>5.  How do I read a file (and detect end of file.)?

                        .
                        .
                        .
  set filename /tmp/somefile
  for {set i 0} {$i < 10} {incr i} {
      puts $i
  }
  if [file exists $filename] {
      set fp [open $file]
      while {-1 != [gets $fp line]} {
          puts $line
      }
      puts "That was the whole file.  We can read no more."
  }
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal:  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

Quote:

> Exactly the problem that I have.   What's missing is a clear, simple
> set of starting instructions.  I don't want all the options and
> parameters.

> 1. How do I assign values to a variable?

> 2. What is a loop like?

> 3.  Show me an IF statement.

> 4.  Show me all this in small program that I can run.

> 5.  How do I read a file (and detect end of file.)?

I am not very familiar with Cliff Flynts book, but the best book
I have read on tcl is "Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk" by
Brent Welch.  This gives a nice introduction to the language and
covers the commands along with examples of how to use them.  It also
covers the C library some, but not in as much depth as the tcl/tk
commands.

If you would like to get a feel for the book, there is a draft copy
of the first edition, source code for the samples, and some sample
chapters from the second edition at:

http://www.beedub.com/book/

I would suggest getting a copy of the third edition, if you can
afford to do so (and if you decide to use Tcl) as it is a valuable
resource.

--Dan

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

:I seem to understand that tcl/tk might be the answer to my problem, but
:where do I start ?

You probably should start by exploring some of the URLs that you should have
received after posting this msg.

:* where do I find basic info about tcl/tk ?

On many of the URLs in said message.

:*is it really what I am looking for ?

We've no idea what you are seeking so we really can't answer this one.

:* I have some experience about using GUI tools under VB (windows) but so
:far I gather this is somewhat different, how do you code tcl/tk
:and how do you implement this code with an application ?

Tcl programmers have, for whatever reason, never bothered writing apps
as heavy weight as the IDE that VB for windows has.

:At first I am looking to install this under Linux, can anyone help out ?

I suspect that the distribution you are using has a package for Tcl.

:The web is crawling with info but I cannot find anything newbie-oriented

That's generally true of most programming languages I have found.

:I can program, that's not a problem, but I want to program tcl.

Go to it!  After you've installed the tcl and tk packages, pick up the
TclTutor package and try it out.  It's one of the many tcl applications
listed at

:well there you are, my cry for help.
:
:thanks a million for anyone with any ideas.

I suggest you visit your local library and see if you can borrow
Brent Welch's book on Tcl.  It is one of the most comprehensive tomes
dealing with Tcl.

--

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

Quote:

> >This is a great question.  I bought a book, "Tcl/Tk for Real
> >Progammers" by Flynt.   It has a lot of enthusiasm but not enough
> >structure.
> 1.  "ProNews/2 User", e-mail to you bounces.

XOUT when emailing.

Quote:
> 2.  How are you finding the online tutorials whose
>     URLs we've sent?

I haven't had a chance to look at them.

Quote:
> 3.  Clif Flynt will want to hear from you about your
>     experience with his book.  I expect he'll drop
>     in before long.

Good.   I'm not saying that his book is bad, it covers a lot of ground.
I realize that the GUI and other toolkit stuff fills up the book.   As
I don't have the luxury of working in one language, I find myself
grabbing for cheatsheets to find out,

is it "for" in this language or is it "do"?

is -1 false or is 0 false?

is it "bin" or "int"?

Quote:
> >1. How do I assign values to a variable?

> >2. What is a loop like?

> >3.  Show me an IF statement.

> >4.  Show me all this in small program that I can run.

> >5.  How do I read a file (and detect end of file.)?
>                    .
>                    .
>                    .
>   set filename /tmp/somefile
>   for {set i 0} {$i < 10} {incr i} {
>       puts $i
>   }
>   if [file exists $filename] {
>       set fp [open $file]
>       while {-1 != [gets $fp line]} {

OK, I take it, -1 is the rc meaning eof.

Quote:
>      puts $line
>       }
>       puts "That was the whole file.  We can read no more."
>   }

This is exactly the kind of code snippit that I was referring to.   It
doesn't need  a longwinded tutorial.   It has a large percentage of the
language right there in front of you.    Even someone who has never
seen Tcl before can figure out the rules.

Whereas, if you say the rules, that the i and $i refer to the same
thing, but you use the $ to get the value, it seems *harder* to
understand.

Quote:
> --

> Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
> Personal:  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

--
cory

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 new to tcl/tk need prelim info

Quote:

> Hi world out there,
> ok, here's my predicament : I wish to develop a GUI around my math
> applications which run under Unix / Linux and are developped in
Fortran.

> I seem to understand that tcl/tk might be the answer to my problem,
but
> where do I start ?

Well, a tutorial might bee the right place.

I found one at
http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/topics/tcltk/tutorial-noplugin/index.html

Just about to read it myself.

See you around...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. $lib/tk/demos/mkFloor.tcl - new info.

2. New Tcl User - Need info

3. need info on embedding tcl interp in tk app

4. TCL/TK newbie - Need coding info.

5. Need info on GUI builder for TCL/TK

6. Need info on Tcl/Tk workshop '95

7. converting Java app to Tcl/Tk ( new thread for all the tcl/tk itcl gurus)

8. Tcl-DP with new tcl/tk question

9. random crashes on new PIII systems--need info

10. New Micros, Need Contact info please.

11. New convert needs info

12. i am new and need info