Pull down menus using Alt-Key
Author Message
 Pull down menus using Alt-Key

Under HPUX 10.10 I cannot seem to pull down a menu using the keyboard
eg Alt-f for a  File menu.  This doesn't seem to work in the Tk menu
demo either.

I suspect that this is due to xmodmap but am not sure how to fix
things... BTW xmodmap reveals definitions for Alt_L and Alt_R but not
just plain Alt.

Any takers ?
Julian H J Loaring
//////////////////

One more dried frog pill won't hurt, they're not at all {*filter*}ive

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Pull down menus using Alt-Key

Quote:
>Under HPUX 10.10 I cannot seem to pull down a menu using the keyboard
>eg Alt-f for a  File menu.  This doesn't seem to work in the Tk menu
>demo either.
>I suspect that this is due to xmodmap but am not sure how to fix
>things... BTW xmodmap reveals definitions for Alt_L and Alt_R but not
>just plain Alt.

I have the following reminder embedded in the Tcl source of a Tcl/Tk
application I helped develop:

----------8<----------CUT-HERE----------8<----------
NOTE: On some HP boxen, a strange X key mapping breaks keyboard
      accelerators for menu buttons (e.g. Alt-F for "File").
      Running the following command should modify the X key mapping
      and fix the problem:

      $ xmodmap -e "remove Mod1 = Mode_switch"
----------8<----------CUT-HERE----------8<----------

--

ASIC Software Engineering Services                      vox: (972) 480-1497
Texas Instruments, Inc.                                 fax: (972) 480-2356

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Pull down menus using Alt-Key

Quote:

>>Under HPUX 10.10 I cannot seem to pull down a menu using the keyboard
>>eg Alt-f for a  File menu.  This doesn't seem to work in the Tk menu
>>demo either.

>>I suspect that this is due to xmodmap but am not sure how to fix
>>things... BTW xmodmap reveals definitions for Alt_L and Alt_R but not
>>just plain Alt.

>I have the following reminder embedded in the Tcl source of a Tcl/Tk
>application I helped develop:

>----------8<----------CUT-HERE----------8<----------
>NOTE: On some HP boxen, a strange X key mapping breaks keyboard
>      accelerators for menu buttons (e.g. Alt-F for "File").
>      Running the following command should modify the X key mapping
>      and fix the problem:

>      $ xmodmap -e "remove Mod1 = Mode_switch"
>----------8<----------CUT-HERE----------8<----------

Many thanks - this worked fine.

But !

I have at least 3  Hewlett-Packard keyboards that have different
keymappings for Alt & Meta.  Has anyone Tcl strategy for handling
this.  Menus seem to work with Alt or Meta combinations but does one
really have to bind each short cut twice when adding short cuts to
non-menu widgets ?

Eg I have a push button to speed program exit

button .exitB -text Exit -command MyExitProc
bind .exitB <Alt-x> "MyExitProc"
bind .exitB <Meta-x> "MyExitProc"

or can I simply just use

bind .exitB <Mod1-x> "MyExitProc"
Julian H J Loaring
//////////////////

One more dried frog pill won't hurt, they're not at all {*filter*}ive

Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Pull down menus using Alt-Key

Quote:

>>Under HPUX 10.10 I cannot seem to pull down a menu using the keyboard
>>eg Alt-f for a  File menu.  This doesn't seem to work in the Tk menu
>>demo either.

>>I suspect that this is due to xmodmap but am not sure how to fix
>>things... BTW xmodmap reveals definitions for Alt_L and Alt_R but not
>>just plain Alt.

>I have the following reminder embedded in the Tcl source of a Tcl/Tk
>application I helped develop:

>----------8<----------CUT-HERE----------8<----------
>NOTE: On some HP boxen, a strange X key mapping breaks keyboard
>      accelerators for menu buttons (e.g. Alt-F for "File").
>      Running the following command should modify the X key mapping
>      and fix the problem:

>      $ xmodmap -e "remove Mod1 = Mode_switch"
>----------8<----------CUT-HERE----------8<----------

Many thanks - this worked fine.

But !

I have at least 3  Hewlett-Packard keyboards that have different
keymappings for Alt & Meta.  Has anyone Tcl strategy for handling
this.  Menus seem to work with Alt or Meta combinations but does one
really have to bind each short cut twice when adding short cuts to
non-menu widgets ?

Eg I have a push button to speed program exit

button .exitB -text Exit -command MyExitProc
bind .exitB <Alt-x> "MyExitProc"
bind .exitB <Meta-x> "MyExitProc"

or can I simply just use

bind .exitB <Mod1-x> "MyExitProc"
Julian H J Loaring
//////////////////

One more dried frog pill won't hurt, they're not at all {*filter*}ive

Tue, 27 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Activating Menu Entries with the Alt Modifier Key, Tear Off Menu Style, Naming Convention of Frames

2. pull down menus

3. pull-down menus in labview?

4. Dialog box lauched from a pull down menu?

5. how to create pull down menu

6. Pull Down Menu ASM code

7. Mouse and Pull down menu !!

8. Spindrift for pull-down menus

9. How to create a pull down menu?

10. Pull-down menu problem with tcl/tk 8.0a1

11. Need help to the pull-down menu

12. lurking death in pull down menus