Bizarre problems on Tcl 8.3.2/AIX 4.3
Author Message
 Bizarre problems on Tcl 8.3.2/AIX 4.3

We've been having some bizarre problems on AIX recently.  Things like
perfectly good "array set" commands producing garbled arrays, "puts" to
stdout causing Tcl to exit, the loop variable in a "foreach" loop being
undefined inside the loop ...

This problem goes away in Tcl 8.4a2, but we'd quite like to apply the
fix to Tcl 8.3.2 so that we can use it in production code ... but we
can't find an obvious candidate change between 8.3.2. and 8.4a2.

Does any one know of a fix that went in that would rectify this kind of
problem?   I'd be grateful if you'd e-mail me as well as responding to
the newgroup.

jch

  jch.vcf
< 1K Download

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:15:04 GMT
 Bizarre problems on Tcl 8.3.2/AIX 4.3

Quote:

> We've been having some bizarre problems on AIX recently.  Things like
> perfectly good "array set" commands producing garbled arrays, "puts" to
> stdout causing Tcl to exit, the loop variable in a "foreach" loop being
> undefined inside the loop ...

> This problem goes away in Tcl 8.4a2, but we'd quite like to apply the
> fix to Tcl 8.3.2 so that we can use it in production code ... but we
> can't find an obvious candidate change between 8.3.2. and 8.4a2.

I've not heard of such behavior before.  I would suggest a clean
recompile of Tcl, doing a make and make test, following the same
config flags that worked for 8.4a2.  I can't think of anything
aside from corrupted sources/compile that would cause such erratic
behavior.

Jeff

Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:54:22 GMT
 Bizarre problems on Tcl 8.3.2/AIX 4.3

Quote:
> We've been having some bizarre problems on AIX recently.  Things like
> perfectly good "array set" commands producing garbled arrays, "puts"
> to stdout causing Tcl to exit, the loop variable in a "foreach" loop
> being undefined inside the loop ...

I use Tcl 8.3.0 under AIX 4.3.2.0, compiled with gcc-2.95.0, with
the -O3 optimization level, and it works perfectly well.

Jo?l Saunier

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:02:51 GMT
 Bizarre problems on Tcl 8.3.2/AIX 4.3

Quote:

> > We've been having some bizarre problems on AIX recently.  Things like
> > perfectly good "array set" commands producing garbled arrays, "puts" to
> > stdout causing Tcl to exit, the loop variable in a "foreach" loop being
> > undefined inside the loop ...

> I've not heard of such behavior before.  I would suggest a clean
> recompile of Tcl, doing a make and make test, following the same
> config flags that worked for 8.4a2.  I can't think of anything
> aside from corrupted sources/compile that would cause such erratic
> behavior.

Thanks Jeff.   This got me pointed in the right direction at least.

It turned out that the code wasn't corrupted, but the way we were building
it was somewhat suspect.  (We use Tcl in quite a few places in OpenMail,
especially in the up-coming release.)

For no good reason, someone had decided to build Tcl twice, once with
--enable-shared and once with --disable-shared.   The libtcl8.3.a was kept
for some unknown purpose and the tclsh and libtcl8.3.so were used in the
product.   We then have a couple of extensions that link against the shared
library (you need to do this on AIX).

Unfortunately, it turned out that the version of tclsh we installed was the
one from the --disable-shared build and when we loaded an extension, we had
two copies of the Tcl library: the one implicitly included in tclsh and
libtcl8.3.so.    This seems to have caused some serious confusion in the Tcl
run time so we got all kinds of bizarre failures.

So, if anyone else has problems with extensions causing Tcl to go bananas
under AIX, make sure that you the version of tclsh you're using uses the Tcl
shared library!  (I guess the same would apply to an extension linked
against a different version of the Tcl shared library.)

jch

  jch.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:32:34 GMT
 Bizarre problems on Tcl 8.3.2/AIX 4.3

                        .
                        .
                        .
John, there's an e-mail transfer agent on your side
that appears to be seriously unhappy.  Can you get
me a telephone number or alternate e-mail address?
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal:  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:31:49 GMT

1. Need help with executables compiled on AIX 4.3 but being run on AIX 3.2

2. Precompiled Expect for AIX 4.3 (Tcl 8.4)

3. 64 bit Ruby successfully compiled under AIX 4.3

4. 64-bit Ruby under AIX 4.3

5. 64 bit ruby under aix 4.3

6. IDLE Tooltips malfunction on AIX 4.3

7. AIX 4.3 and shared libraries linkage

8. compile on aix 4.3

9. 5.24.1 on AIX 4.3

10. wish doesn't bind on AIX 4.3

11. Problem with Tcl 8.0 load on AIX 3.2.5, AIX 4.1

12. tcl 6.7, tk3.2 and TclX6.5c on Ultrix 4.3