no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable -- ????
Author Message
 no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable -- ????

no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

This is the message I get when I try to invoke wish or
expectk. I'm a unix novice, and after searching around
in the expect and tcl/tk manuals, I can't find an
explanation of what to do about this. I don't see
in either manual any indication of how wish or
expectk depend on the $DISPLAY environment variable
or how it should be set (meaning to what, and how
to do it....the latter probably is setenv $DISPLAY ____)
and I'm stuck.

Any help or pointer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using OSF (I think) on a Dec 3000 with X-windows.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable -- ????
Hallo Jim,
wish (Tk) is based on the X-Window-system. In this system a connection
between a client and a server is made. The server is running locally
on your X-Terminal or workstation or PC with X-server-emulation. The
client may be running on your machine or somewhere else. The first thing
a client will do is making a connection with the X-server. To do this
he will fetch the contents of the environment variable DISPLAY.
If you are connected to the Internet it is something like
    setenv DISPLAY 111.222.333.444:0.0
or
    setenv DISPLAY aliasname:0.0
In the Decnet there is a different notation. I dont know this exactly,
but I think the character ":' is replaced by "::". But ask your local
X11-experts.

Eckhard Stein

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

2. Dumb Newbie Question: no $DISPLAY environment variable

3. icons displayed in browses not displaying

4. Display.TransferBlock not supported by display

5. Display RGB pixel data in a display window

6. DISPLAY statement and screen displays

7. changes fixed the Histogram display but spoilt the Geometry display

8. can't read env(DISPLAY) from regexp with $env(DISPLAY)

9. Display environments

10. wish: $DISPLAY environment ???

11. D5 Package changes and SmalltalkWorkspaceDocument display name oddness...

12. help:displaying user/login name