tcl/tk man pages use .HS, not .TH for title, so man -k does not work
Author Message
 tcl/tk man pages use .HS, not .TH for title, so man -k does not work

At least on the SunOS 4 and 5 systems that I've install tcl on this is
true.

On SunOS, makewhatis assumes that the title of a man page can be found
in the .TH macro. The makewhatis script calls /usr/lib/getNAME. It
seems as though the only thing getNAME dones (it's a binary) is to
spit out the .TH line. One could replace getNAME with a program that
spit out the .TH line and/or the .HS line (changing .HS to .TH on the
way).

Another alternative is to use the perl man page package, but it has
troubles with some of the openwin man page formats, so I'd just as
soon leave the man command alone for now.

Has anyone tried this, or have another suggestion?

Regards,

Larry

Wed, 25 Dec 1996 03:18:31 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: tcltk-man-html9, 9th edition of hypertext Tcl/Tk man pages

2. ANNOUNCE: tcltk-man-html6, 6th edition of hypertext Tcl/Tk man pages

3. WANTED: Tcl/Tk man pages in HTML - comp.lang.tcl #8861

4. Elided text not mentioned in text man page

5. ondering why not to convert all those tons of man pages to user-friendly

6. tkman - man page not installed properly, probably.

7. iwidgets 3.0.0 man pages require man.macros

8. Tcl/Tk Man Page Viewer - Update?

9. tcl/tk man pages

10. bugs in Tcl / Tk / etc. man page patches

11. tcl/tk man pages

12. How to use man pages on a SGI for Tcl/Tk