Statically Linking tcl.lib and tk.lib into a standalone .exe file
Author Message
 Statically Linking tcl.lib and tk.lib into a standalone .exe file

Hello,

I'm working in Windows 95, and I've compiled tcl and tk into static
libraries using VC++ 4.2.  Everything seems to work fine until I actually
run the program, which simply tries to execute an embedded .tcl script (I've
embedded it as a resource... kinda fun).

At this point, the TclEval() returns TCL_OK, but the main window on screen
doesn't paint correctly, as it's contents are painted at 0,0 on the display,
instead of at 500,500, where the window frame is.  Needless to say, nothing
on the window works, even the windows close button and system menu don't
function properly.

I'm guessing that there is some initialization code that is being skipped by
linking the TCL and TK libraries statically into my .exe file.

If anyone has any ideas about where I might look for a solution, I'd be much
obliged.

Thanks,

Steve Wolf

Sat, 17 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Statically Linking tcl.lib and tk.lib into a standalone .exe file

Quote:

>Hello,

>I'm working in Windows 95, and I've compiled tcl and tk into static
>libraries using VC++ 4.2.  Everything seems to work fine until I actually
>run the program, which simply tries to execute an embedded .tcl script (I've
>embedded it as a resource... kinda fun).

>At this point, the TclEval() returns TCL_OK, but the main window on screen
>doesn't paint correctly, as it's contents are painted at 0,0 on the display,
>instead of at 500,500, where the window frame is.  Needless to say, nothing
>on the window works, even the windows close button and system menu don't
>function properly.

>I'm guessing that there is some initialization code that is being skipped by
>linking the TCL and TK libraries statically into my .exe file.

>If anyone has any ideas about where I might look for a solution, I'd be much
>obliged.

Heck, the tcl8 and tk8 import libraries are over 1.5 megabytes in size. Do
you mean that your static libraries are part of your program?  If I were in
your position, I'd recompile using dlls and imports to see if there is any
improvement.

Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Statically linking a Fortran .lib into a C++ .dll

2. How to link statically with python15.lib....

3. how to statically link against tcl84.lib, tk84.lib, tclx84.lib?

4. Editing LIB Files to Change Functions Within LIB Files

5. How to link tcl/tk lib to binary code

6. Linking sqldedev.lib, desktopenginedeploy.lib to my app: unsupported recordtype 21

7. Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib

8. Only broken links to LIB.EXE

9. linking .Net C++ exe with CVS 6.1 static lib

10. ANNOUNCE: Visual C++ .LIB files for Tcl 7.5 and Tk 4.1

11. Need old lib file - expand.lib

12. calling winapi without lib or source for winapi lib files