Problems with New Release of TixXf
Author Message
 Problems with New Release of TixXf

A new release of TixXf was recently announced on comp.lang.tcl.announce:

      http://www.*-*-*.com/

Don't know if others tried to run it, but when I did, I encountered a
few problems.

Config:
        RH7.2 w/ updates
        TclTk 8.3.3
        tix-8.2.0b1

        tixxf-1.4-linux-x86-029

I am able to build some simple GUIs (though occasionally I see a
message saying something like "not able to find image16"), but a more
serious message is produced when I "test" the application from within
/tixxf/:

         error while loading shared libraries: \
               libtix8.1.8.3.so: \
               cannot open shared object file: \
               No such file or directory

Two things to note:  as indicated above, an installed RPM provides a
newer version of /tix/;  also, the file,

        libtix8.1.8.3.so

is in the ../tixxf/idi-linux-x86/bin/linux-x86 directory along with /tixxf/.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?  Workarounds?

--

Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj
Appalachian State Univ

Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:40:41 GMT
 Problems with New Release of TixXf

Quote:
>A new release of TixXf was recently announced on comp.lang.tcl.announce:

>     http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/src/tixxf/Tixxf.html

>Don't know if others tried to run it, but when I did, I encountered a
>few problems.

>Config:
>        RH7.2 w/ updates
>        TclTk 8.3.3
>        tix-8.2.0b1

>        tixxf-1.4-linux-x86-029

>I am able to build some simple GUIs (though occasionally I see a
>message saying something like "not able to find image16"), but a more
>serious message is produced when I "test" the application from within
>/tixxf/:

>         error while loading shared libraries: \
>               libtix8.1.8.3.so: \
>               cannot open shared object file: \
>               No such file or directory

This may be a bug because of the way the packaging is done.
Make sure you are in the ../tixxf/idi-linux-x86/bin/linux-x86
directory  when you start tixxf.

Quote:
>Two things to note:  as indicated above, an installed RPM provides a
>newer version of /tix/;  also, the file,

>        libtix8.1.8.3.so

>is in the ../tixxf/idi-linux-x86/bin/linux-x86 directory along with /tixxf/.

Good - it should be.

Quote:
>Anyone else seeing this behavior?  Workarounds?

Add the full path for ../tixxf/idi-linux-x86/bin/linux-x86 directory
to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, then retry.

Mike.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:07:52 GMT

:
:         error while loading shared libraries: \
:               libtix8.1.8.3.so: \
:               cannot open shared object file: \
:               No such file or directory
:

ELF based Unix systems have a concept of runtime library path.  This is
a directory path built into executables and shared libraries, used by
the start up runtime of the operating system to go seeking shared libraries.

When you are building a shared library or linking an application, you need
to supply a "-R/path/" flag where /path/ is the path where .so files will
exist when the user is executing the application.

This works okay when the user is compiling the application.  However, it
presents a problem when the user is making use of a prebuilt binary.
In this case, the builder can and should provide to the link step a -R
for the directory where s/he expects the library to reside.  Users who
insist on installing things in places other than the expected then are faced
with setting one of the various environmental variables available.  There
are several, the most common of which is $LD_LIBRARY_PATH .

WARNING - because this variable is used by many different applications,
modifying it globally can cause unforseen problems (if a directory is added
containing incompatible libraries with inconsistent naming conventions).
Also, I believe that a number of systems will not use the value of this
variable if the application is running set-userid or set-groupid.
--
Support Internet Radio <URL: http://saveinternetradio.org/ >

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:24:53 GMT
 Problems with New Release of TixXf

Quote:

>: but a more
>:serious message is produced when I "test" the application from within
>:/tixxf/:
>:
>:         error while loading shared libraries: \
>:               libtix8.1.8.3.so: \
>:               cannot open shared object file: \
>:               No such file or directory
>:

>ELF based Unix systems have a concept of runtime library path.  This is
>a directory path built into executables and shared libraries, used by
>the start up runtime of the operating system to go seeking shared libraries.

>When you are building a shared library or linking an application, you need
>to supply a "-R/path/" flag where /path/ is the path where .so files will
>exist when the user is executing the application.

These executables are compiled -R. to deal with some of the nefarious
problems you mention in your posting. This is why under Unix they
have to be invoked from the directory which contains the executable,
but I'll have to check if this is also the CWD when Tixxf launches
a copy of itself to "test" an application.

As a work-around, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory
that contains the eexcutable and dynamic libraries should work.

Mike.

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 05:21:53 GMT

1. TixXf - Updated version of the XF GUI builder

2. ****** NEW RELEASE SOLVES OLD PROBLEMS! ******

3. New WinOb-Release Problem

4. New XF release problem...

5. Frequency of new releases, a problem?

6. New release of Linz Oberon V4 Release 2.2

7. NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

8. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

9. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

10. GReg-Plus new release and new competitive upgrade pricing

11. New release of the ASL components (new license!)

12. New release of `jstools' (new tool)