text widget / scroll bar / automatic scrolling
Author Message
 text widget / scroll bar / automatic scrolling

I've got a simple tcl script which opens up a text widget with a vertical
scrollbar.  I pipe info to this widget using fileevent and a "tail -f
log-file".  The log-file is constantly being appended to by another process.
I would like to get my tcl interface to automatically scroll the text widget
downaward, showing the most recent data, as data is read from the pipe and
placed appended to the text widget.  Right now, the current test remains on
the screen, and one must manually adjust the scrollbar to see the most
recently added data.

Additionally, is there a limit on the amount of data that can be placed into a
text widget?  Basically, I'd like to be able to view any portion of the log
file through the text widget (the log file can easily be 10s of MBs).

Thanks
Brian

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 text widget / scroll bar / automatic scrolling

Quote:

>scrollbar.  I pipe info to this widget using fileevent and a "tail -f

Add a '.text see end' in the fileevent proc to automatically adjust the
view to the end every time stuff is piped in.

Quote:
>Additionally, is there a limit on the amount of data that can be placed into

You are only limited by your memory.
--
     Jeffrey Hobbs                           Office: 503/346-3998

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mouse wheel doesn't scroll text scroll bar

2. only add a scroll bar when the window is minimized and scroll bar is needed

3. scrolling text widgets inside a scrolling canvas

4. Q: Text widget - Automatic Scroll

5. Programming multiple text widgets with a scroll bar

6. one scroll bar for two text widgets

7. Text widget, word wrap, and scroll bars

8. Packing a text widget and a scroll bar in a frame

9. x-Scroll bars on text widgets, how??

10. scrolling widgets in a text widget?

11. scrolling widgets in a text widget?

12. How to scroll a text widget with embeded widgets per pixel