Subject:      [Bug Tcl 8.1] tclsh core-dumps with the error:
"Tcl_ListObjAppendElement called with shared object"

Date:         1999/05/14

Newsgroups:   comp.lang.tcl
[Fewer Headers]

Tcl 8.1 Bug:  Generated by Scriptics' bug entry form at
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
------

Submitted by:  Richard Paynter
CVS:  5/12/99 - approximately 1530 PDT
OperatingSystem:  Other
OperatingSystemVersion:  UNICOS 10.0.0.2 and UNICOS 10.0.0.3
CustomShell:  In file tclUnixFCmd.c, on lines 373, 378, and 385, had to
insert explicit
type casts (char *) for src (373), dst (378 and 385).  A patch was
submitted two days ago for this.
Synopsis:  tclsh core-dumps with the error: "Tcl_ListObjAppendElement
called with shared object"

ReproducibleScript:
    1. Download CVS source tree.
    2. run autoconf against configure.in in the ./unix dir
    3. run configure --prefix=<destination path> --disable-shared
    --disable-load --enable-64bit (--enable-64bit appears not to work,
as
    the configure script
    disables 64bit mode near the end of its run)
    4. run make
    5. run ./tclsh; it core-dumps with the above error (see #5)

ObservedBehavior:
    tclsh core-dumps with the error:

    "Tcl_ListObjAppendElement called with shared object"
    Abort (core dumped)

DesiredBehavior:
    Need to get tcl (and tk, eventually) to compile and run successfully
on
    a UNICOS
    (Cray YMP) system, which does not support shared libraries.

Comments:
    UNICOS 10.* does not support shared libraries.  Need a statically
    compiled/linked binary for both tcl 8.* and tk 8.*

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:30:53 GMT
 Old problem...new user

Quote:

> Hi, I found a message concerning my problem (not here but on Yahoo), but
> can no longer find the posted message as it is too old. Could anyone
> help? I am attempting to make Tcl 8.2.3. While I am not getting the
> exact same error, the error is on the same C file and I am also running
> on a Cray running unicos 10.0.0.3. and I get the feeling that whatever
> solved this problem would fix mine too ( maybe...hopefully). Is there a
> patch or something I should download to fix this? Any comments are
> appreciated. Thanks in advance. The previous message I found on the
> internet (via a Yahoo search)  follows:

> Subject:      [Bug Tcl 8.1] tclsh core-dumps with the error:
> "Tcl_ListObjAppendElement called with shared object"

This is bug 2073 in the db.  Unfortunately it basically says to try
again with 8.3 since that had some casting fixes and such that might
affect 64bit machines.  I suspect that finding whoever uses Tcl on
Crays might be the best way to go.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 07:34:18 GMT

1. New 'old' forth user

2. Apple II Forth Users New and Old?

3. Error in tps file update - Old Problem - New Try

4. ****** NEW RELEASE SOLVES OLD PROBLEMS! ******

5. new problems with old .wrl

6. Problem: Old Code/Older Compiler

7. New User Problems

8. New User. Problems after initial installation

9. Xplore Problem - New User

10. New user............... (with problems)

11. New user.............(still having problems)

12. New eiffel user having problems with elif