using windows icons in tk application
Author Message
 using windows icons in tk application

I am planning to add a toolbar to a Tk application that runs on UNIX and
windows.

On UNIX, I am fine using either Gnome or KDE new,  open, save, ... icons
but I am wondering if I can use windows icons when running on windows,
icons that I would copy from an existing standard microsoft application.

Are there any licensing issues or are those icons free to use?

Now that I think of it as I type, that would not fit with the GPL nature
of my application, would it?

--

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 05:55:53 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

> On UNIX, I am fine using either Gnome or KDE new,  open, save, ... icons
> but I am wondering if I can use windows icons when running on windows,
> icons that I would copy from an existing standard microsoft application.

> Are there any licensing issues or are those icons free to use?

I believe as a general rule, most of the newer icons are considered
part of the copyright of the application.  However, there are many,
many free icons out there.  Just google for it - there are whole
sites dedicated to icons for free use.

--
  Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
  Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:59:09 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:
>I am planning to add a toolbar to a Tk application that runs on UNIX and
>windows.

>On UNIX, I am fine using either Gnome or KDE new,  open, save, ... icons
>but I am wondering if I can use windows icons when running on windows,
>icons that I would copy from an existing standard microsoft application.

Have you found a way to get control of icons on the toolbar in KDE?
When I try:
wm iconwindow . winname
KDE seems to ignore it and just put that X icon in the toolbar.

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 06:25:56 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

> >I am planning to add a toolbar to a Tk application that runs on UNIX and
> >windows.

> >On UNIX, I am fine using either Gnome or KDE new,  open, save, ... icons
> >but I am wondering if I can use windows icons when running on windows,
> >icons that I would copy from an existing standard microsoft application.

> Have you found a way to get control of icons on the toolbar in KDE?
> When I try:
> wm iconwindow . winname
> KDE seems to ignore it and just put that X icon in the toolbar.

No, currently you cannot do that from tk :-)

George

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:56:06 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

>Have you found a way to get control of icons on the toolbar in KDE?
>When I try:
>wm iconwindow . winname
>KDE seems to ignore it and just put that X icon in the toolbar.

kwm apparently doesn't honor the icon window hint, only [wm iconbitmap].

To specify a color icon, I think you need to create a ".kdelnk"
file or some such thing and install it somewhere that the WM
can find it.  I have no idea how to go about doing this.

--Joe English

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:56:54 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

> >Have you found a way to get control of icons on the toolbar in KDE?
> >When I try:
> >wm iconwindow . winname
> >KDE seems to ignore it and just put that X icon in the toolbar.

> kwm apparently doesn't honor the icon window hint, only [wm iconbitmap].

> To specify a color icon, I think you need to create a ".kdelnk"
> file or some such thing and install it somewhere that the WM
> can find it.  I have no idea how to go about doing this.

Actually I think that both KDE and GNOME have a way to pass
colour data (png images?) in the same way icon bitmaps
are passed. But I still cannot figure out what exactly they
do...

George

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:01:41 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

> Actually I think that both KDE and GNOME have a way to pass
> colour data (png images?) in the same way icon bitmaps
> are passed. But I still cannot figure out what exactly they
> do...

IIRC, they just pass a pixmap of depth>1 (it probably has to use the default
colormap, but I don't know that bit for sure.)

Donal.
--

-- If somebody in a suit or a uniform can sit you down and have you believe
   every word he says, you've just surrendered your license to be a thinking

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:03:11 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

>> Actually I think that both KDE and GNOME have a way to pass
>> colour data (png images?) in the same way icon bitmaps
>> are passed. But I still cannot figure out what exactly they
>> do...

> IIRC, they just pass a pixmap of depth>1 (it probably has to use the default
> colormap, but I don't know that bit for sure.)

OK, having checked some old code I've got lying around, if the window manager,
instead of doing XCopyPlane() to actually draw the icon, does XCopyArea() with
the obvious parameters (when the pixmap depth is greater than 1), then the right
thing happens with coloured icons from many different applications (e.g.
Netscape, xfig, etc.)

Inferring from this, creating a colour icon under X is easy: just use a pixmap
with the same visual and colormap as the root window's default.

Donal.
--

-- I'm curious; where does this statistic come from? Does its home, perchance,

Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:04:22 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

> >> Actually I think that both KDE and GNOME have a way to pass
> >> colour data (png images?) in the same way icon bitmaps
> >> are passed. But I still cannot figure out what exactly they
> >> do...

> > IIRC, they just pass a pixmap of depth>1 (it probably has to use the default
> > colormap, but I don't know that bit for sure.)

> OK, having checked some old code I've got lying around, if the window manager,
> instead of doing XCopyPlane() to actually draw the icon, does XCopyArea() with
> the obvious parameters (when the pixmap depth is greater than 1), then the right
> thing happens with coloured icons from many different applications (e.g.
> Netscape, xfig, etc.)

> Inferring from this, creating a colour icon under X is easy: just use a pixmap
> with the same visual and colormap as the root window's default.

So should we add support for this in tk (wm icon ?-bitmap|-image|-icon?) and
let
the user decide what to use?

George

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:27 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

Quote:

>> Inferring from this, creating a colour icon under X is easy: just use a
>> pixmap with the same visual and colormap as the root window's default.

> So should we add support for this in tk (wm icon ?-bitmap|-image|-icon?) and
> let the user decide what to use?

I thought that's what I said...  :^)

Donal.
--

-- Prices aren't rising - discounts are falling! It's WalMart-in-reverse! I'm

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:49:10 GMT
 using windows icons in tk application

:>> Inferring from this, creating a colour icon under X is easy: just use a
:>> pixmap with the same visual and colormap as the root window's default.
:>
:> So should we add support for this in tk (wm icon ?-bitmap|-image|-icon?) and
:> let the user decide what to use?
:
:I thought that's what I said...  :^)

So who will be providing the code and TIP work for this?  Might as well get
someone started on this .
--
"I know of vanishingly few people ... who choose to use ksh." "I'm a minority!"

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:31:48 GMT

1. Change Application Icon in MS Windows TCL/Tk application

2. Removing the TK icon from application windows...

3. Tk on Windows uses different font than native Windows applications

4. Using tk/tcl to put a windows-based front to old console applications

5. Non-xbm icons for tcl/tk applications on unix/linux

6. color icon in Tk application?

7. color icons for tcl/tk applications

8. setting the icon in TK application

9. Embedding Tcl/Tk in MFC windows application with real Tk GUI and multithread support

10. Embedding Tcl/Tk im MFC windows application in a multithreaded manner with real Tk GUI support

11. Adding icons to Window's Application Manager

12. application icon on Windows