ANNOUNCE: First Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: First Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0

[Apologies if you see this twice; the news posting I tried from Sun did
 not appear after 24 hours, so I am sending the announcement from this
 account. --JYL]

Please visit http://www.*-*-*.com/
first Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0!

These are some notes about this release:

*- This is an Alpha release: we are making this release widely available
   so that people can help us get the bugs out and find problems early.
   I would not at this time base a product on this release. Finding the
   bugs early is especially important with this release, since it includes
   a mechanism for relaxing security restrictions on what tclets can do.
*- The release includes versions for Solaris 2.x, SunOS 4.x and Linux.
   I will be adding a version for Win32 systems on Monday 12/30/96, if
   all goes well.
*- The single most important feature of the new release is that the
   plugin now allows Tclets to run with a security policy different
   from the default. A tclet requests to use a security policy by
   issuing a command 'package require <policyName>'. If the command
   succeeds, subsequent statements in the tclet are executed with the
   policy in effect. If the policy can not be used by this tclet, an
   error is raised by the 'package require' statement. A tclet can
   load only one security policy during its lifetime.
*- The release also includes the hidden command facility first released
   with Tcl 8.0a1.
*- We've included two example security policies (in the directory
   .../.tclplug/tcl7.7/policies):
   - Safesock:          allows the tclet to open sockets to a list of
                        hosts and ports, and to the host it was loaded
                        from (on any port). The list is maintained in
                        a separate file (safesock.data) for easy maintainence.
   - Unsafe:            restores the interpreter in which the tclet is
                        running to its original unsafe state, so that all
                        commands are accessible. The policy uses a very
                        simple access control mechanism based on the URL
                        from which the tclet was loaded to decide whether
                        the tclet is allowed to use the policy. This access
                        control list is maintained in a separate file,
                        unsafe.data, initially empty.
*- Define the environment variable TCL_PLUGIN_CONSOLE to get a console
   that allows you to type commands into the master interpreter. This
   is especially useful when debugging security policies, as it allows you
   to examine the state of the computation both inside the tclet and inside
   the master interpreter. The console is initially iconified, so it will
   show up either as an icon on your desktop or in the icon bar of your
   window manager (depending on the window manager in use).
*- Several manual pages, for the Safe Tcl policy management mechanism and
   for the security policies provided with this release, are installed as
   part of the release, in .../.tclplug/man.
*- The Tcl library provided with this release includes the HTTP library
   that was first released with Tcl 8.0a1. With the Safesock policy and
   this library, it is now possible to write tclets that fetch or post URLs
   and do other network related stuff. We've verified that things work
   well when you use Safesock and the HTTP library, on Solaris.
*- The release is not yet feature complete; we are planning a lot more
   features, visit http://www.*-*-*.com/
   overview. We'd also like to hear your suggestions and feature requests!

What we are asking from you:

*- Please write interesting tclets that use the new features. We will
   be starting a special page for 2.0 tclets and feature yours there.
*- Please write interesting security policies; we will review them for
   utility and security holes, and if they are generally applicable, we
   will ask your permission to include them.
*- Please try to find security holes in the new security policy mechanism.
   We can only gain more confidence in its ability to withstand attacks
   once it has withstood actual attacks..
*- Please let us know if you would like to see some feature implemented.
   While we cannot make promises as to which features will get implemented
   we are always open to suggestions.

Thanks for testing this release. I hope to spend January fixing all the
bugs you'll find and implementing new features, and perhaps we will have
another release in February 1997.

--JYL

Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

:
:Please visit http://www.sunlabs.com/tcl/plugin to get your copy of the
:first Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0!
:
:These are some notes about this release:
:
:*- This is an Alpha release: we are making this release widely available
:   so that people can help us get the bugs out and find problems early.
:   I would not at this time base a product on this release. Finding the
:   bugs early is especially important with this release, since it includes
:   a mechanism for relaxing security restrictions on what tclets can do.
:*- The release includes versions for Solaris 2.x, SunOS 4.x and Linux.
:   I will be adding a version for Win32 systems on Monday 12/30/96, if
:   all goes well.

:--JYL

What about a Mac release?

Tom

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: First Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0

We have not been able to keep the Mac version of the plugin up to date
with the other versions, I know.. We have only one full time Mac developer
and between the native look and feel, porting the compiler and a lot of
other things this guy (Ray Johnson) is mighty busy. Hopefully it'll
become possible for him to devote some more time to the plugin soon, but
I can't tell you when.

On another note, I have now posted the Win32 version of the 2.0 plugin.
Please test it by getting it from http://www.sunlabs.com/tcl/plugin.

--JYL

Quote:

>:[Apologies if you see this twice; the news posting I tried from Sun did
>: not appear after 24 hours, so I am sending the announcement from this
>: account. --JYL]
>:
>:Please visit http://www.sunlabs.com/tcl/plugin to get your copy of the
>:first Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0!
>:
>:These are some notes about this release:
>:
>:*- This is an Alpha release: we are making this release widely available
>:   so that people can help us get the bugs out and find problems early.
>:   I would not at this time base a product on this release. Finding the
>:   bugs early is especially important with this release, since it includes
>:   a mechanism for relaxing security restrictions on what tclets can do.
>:*- The release includes versions for Solaris 2.x, SunOS 4.x and Linux.
>:   I will be adding a version for Win32 systems on Monday 12/30/96, if
>:   all goes well.

>:--JYL

>What about a Mac release?

>Tom

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: First Alpha release of Tcl Plugin 2.0

I have downloaded the patches to tcl and tk. I have no idea what do do
now. I've not 'patched' before ;-( Is there a man page or such??

TIA

Dave Bashaw

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: First alpha of the Tcl Plugin v2.0 for the Mac

2. Tcl Plugin 2.0 first beta release

3. First alpha release of d2c CodeWarrior plugin available

4. Announce: PyLR first alpha release

5. Tcl Plugin 2.0 source release update

6. ANNOUNCE: Final release of Tcl Plugin 1.0

7. ANNOUNCE: Agent Tcl (alpha release 1.0)

8. ANNOUNCE: First beta release of Tcl-DP, Version 3.3

9. ANNOUNCE: ActiveState TclPro 2.0 Beta 1 release and Tcl Webcast

10. RegularExpression plugin (alpha) for DR2 released

11. Second alpha release of d2c CodeWarrior plugin available

12. First beta release of d2c CodeWarrior plugin available