Embedding Tcl Interpreter in an embedded system
Author Message
 Embedding Tcl Interpreter in an embedded system

From the documentation I have read, Tcl/Tk appears to be an ideal scripting
language for embedding into other applications.  With the advent of the www and
scripting languages becoming so popular in just about every application, I want
my products to be as extensible.

That's where Tcl comes in.  How big is the Tcl 8.0 (plus patches) interpreter?
Or another way of stating it:  How small can I get the base Tcl interpreter?
Nothing special, nothing fancy.  Just the base interpreter so that I can invoke
shell scripts.

Next, what are the ram requirements?  Can I execute the interpreter in 1 - 2
Megs?

Thanks,
        Matt

Measurement Business Division       Phone: (503) 627-6512
Tektronix, Inc.                     Fax:   (503) 627-5610

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Embedding Tcl Interpreter in an embedded system

Hi Matt,
I'm working on a TCL8.0p1 port. The compiled image for tcltest, which is something
more than just the interpreter is about 1,5 MB with debugging information compiled
for 68040.
I have 8MB RAM on my developement system (MVME162) and I do not have any memory
problems. The Tornado Browser says:

Name        test      .data    .bss
tcltest.o    319816  8976      88

I'm using a stacksize of 32k.

Memory usage
after reboot:                                     544120 bytes
after downloading tcltest.o:                 874036 bytes
after starting special tcltelnet daemon:  879796 bytes
after starting tclsh                          :  924148 bytes
after init.tcl                                   : 1292040 bytes
after running all tests                      : 2573932 bytes  (the test suite
crashs at env.test. I'm working on that.)

So this was also very interesting for me. I would guess that just running the base
interpreter and not doing any memory consuming stuff 2MB would be possible. I
proposed for our system that we would need about 4MB.

-martin

Quote:

> From the documentation I have read, Tcl/Tk appears to be an ideal scripting
> language for embedding into other applications.  With the advent of the www and
> scripting languages becoming so popular in just about every application, I want
> my products to be as extensible.

> That's where Tcl comes in.  How big is the Tcl 8.0 (plus patches) interpreter?
> Or another way of stating it:  How small can I get the base Tcl interpreter?
> Nothing special, nothing fancy.  Just the base interpreter so that I can invoke
> shell scripts.

> Next, what are the ram requirements?  Can I execute the interpreter in 1 - 2
> Megs?

> Thanks,
>         Matt

> --

> Measurement Business Division       Phone: (503) 627-6512
> Tektronix, Inc.                     Fax:   (503) 627-5610

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. porting tcl interpreter onto Embedded system

2. pd interpreter for embedded system

3. embedding tcl interpreter, how to run os exec ?

4. question about character encodings with Tcl interpreter embedded in C++

5. question about character encodings with Tcl interpreter embedded in C++

6. ANNOUNCE: Rtcl: embedding an R interpreter in Tcl

7. Embedded TCL Interpreter in C++ Program under NT not generating message in Dr. Watson log

8. Using a starkit with an embedded Tcl interpreter

9. Embed my TCL interpreter

10. embedded Tcl interpreter, tclhttpd and non english locale

11. Embedding a Tcl interpreter into an application