Help: Asynchronous process control in tk8.0/Win95
Author Message
 Help: Asynchronous process control in tk8.0/Win95

--------------F4AEB137F6D5448A2FEE4525

I have developed a special purpose MIDI "jukebox" that uses the
Microsoft "mplayer.exe" tool to play a sequence of MIDI files one by
one. Within the tk application, I invoke it using the "/play" and
"/close" options, which cause it to exit upon completion.

The problem I have is that, during the time it is playing, when not
executed in the background, I have no control of the tk window and it
does not get updated. Attempting to invoke "mplayer" in the background
does me no good because it does not return anything to provide an
indication of when it has terminated.

Is there some heuristic to follow in order to maintain control and
ascertain when such processes have completed?

Thanks!

Mike Brant
Value & Handheld Product Line (VHPL) Software Engineering
Design Service & Test Business Unit
Measurement Business Division
Tektronix, Inc.
P.O. Box 500 M/S 38-248
Beaverton, OR 97077

Telephone: (503) 627-6222
FAX: (503) 627-5610

--------------F4AEB137F6D5448A2FEE4525

<HTML>
I have developed a special purpose MIDI&nbsp;"jukebox"&nbsp;that uses the
Microsoft "mplayer.exe" tool to play a sequence of MIDI&nbsp;files one
by one. Within the tk application, I&nbsp;invoke it using the "/play"&nbsp;and
"/close"&nbsp;options, which cause it to exit upon completion.

<P>The problem I&nbsp;have is that, during the time it is playing, when
not executed in the background, I have no control of the tk window and
it does not get updated. Attempting to invoke "mplayer"&nbsp;in the background
does me no good because it does not return anything to provide an indication
of when it has terminated.

<P>Is there some heuristic to follow in order to maintain control and ascertain
when such processes have completed?

<P>Thanks!
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Mike Brant
Value &amp; Handheld Product Line (VHPL) Software Engineering
Design Service &amp; Test Business Unit
Measurement Business Division
Tektronix, Inc.
P.O. Box 500 M/S 38-248
Beaverton, OR 97077

Telephone: (503) 627-6222
FAX: (503) 627-5610
===========================================================</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------F4AEB137F6D5448A2FEE4525--

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Tk8.1a DDE to control Netscape under Win95

2. asynchronous processes

3. clocked and asynchronous process on same register!?

4. Asynchronous Inter Process Communication in a Prolog debugger

5. Problem trying to spawn (fork) asynchronous process from cgi

6. 2nd Try: Windows Asynchronous processes

7. ANNOUNCE: Pgtcl 1.4a2 released, now with support for asynchronous query processing

8. Asynchronous processes in TK...

9. Help w/ controlling 2 processes

10. Asynchronous Transfer of Control

11. BUG: Cannot select text in read-only text widget / tk8.0p2-Win95

12. Scrollbar weirdness in Tk8.0p2 for Win95