Difference between tcl8.0 and tcl8.3 entry widget
Author Message
 Difference between tcl8.0 and tcl8.3 entry widget

I have a script that uses an entry widget for requesting data from the user.
I run the script with wish8.0 with no problems.  When I upgraded to wish8.3,
I noticed that if I leave the cursor in the entry field, the wish program
starts consumming all the cpu time as displayed by running top.  The does
not happen with the same  script running in wish8.0.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this or where I might begin to fix
this problem.

The section of code is listed below:

# Create a labeled entry for the Directory
        frame .dir -borderwidth 10
        pack .dir -side top -fill x
        label .dir.l -text Directory: -padx 0
        entry .dir.inp -width [expr [string length $dir] + 2]  -relief
sunken -textvariable dir
        pack .dir.l -side left
        pack .dir.inp -side top -fill x -expand true
        bind .dir.inp <Return> {cd $dir }
        bind .dir.inp <Leave> {cd $dir }

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:28:58 GMT
 Difference between tcl8.0 and tcl8.3 entry widget

Quote:

> I have a script that uses an entry widget for requesting data from the user.
> I run the script with wish8.0 with no problems.  When I upgraded to wish8.3,
> I noticed that if I leave the cursor in the entry field, the wish program
> starts consumming all the cpu time as displayed by running top.  The does
> not happen with the same  script running in wish8.0.

Well, you left a lot of pertinent information out, but from
your description, it's fairly easy to diagnose the problem.
You are on a Unix system where someone compiled wish8.3 with
--enable-threads, which the configure expressly warns against
doing.  This may work OK in 8.3.3, and likely will be OK for
8.4, but is something you shouldn't do for <=8.3.2.

--
  Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
  Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:58:02 GMT

1. behaves differently in Tcl8.5 than in Tcl8.4

2. Tcl8.0 vs. Tcl8.4 in WinXP

3. ANN: tcl8.4.2++.pdf, tcl8.4.2++.chm

4. Tnm 3.0.0 and tcl8.3 and tcl8.4

5. BUG: Tcl_AppendResult broken in tcl8.3.4 and tcl8.4

7. BUG in tcl8.0.5 and tcl8.1 with variable scope

8. Tcl8.1b1 regexp's are now 17 times slower than in Tcl8.0.4

9. regexp in Tcl8.1 is 7 times slower then Tcl8.0 in this simple example

10. Tcl8.0p2, Tcl8.1a1: BUG+PATCH: lsort -dictionary compares signed chars

11. differences label - enty width tcl8.4.3

12. tcl7.6p2 /tcl8.0b2 c Interface difference...