Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib
Author Message
 Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib

I'm compiling Tcl v8.3.4 with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP4 on a Windows NT
4.0 SP4 machine.

When I compile it with --enabled-shared, I can link other programs with the
resuling tcl83.lib.  However, if I compile it with --disabled-shared, I get
the following errors when linking against tcl83s.lib.  Is this to be
expected?

job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_ResetResult
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_SourceRCFile
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_CreateCommand
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_Eval
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_Init
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_SetVar
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_CreateInterp
job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_SetResult
WinRel/make.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:32:24 GMT
 Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib

Quote:

>I'm compiling Tcl v8.3.4 with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP4 on a Windows NT
>4.0 SP4 machine.

>When I compile it with --enabled-shared, I can link other programs with the
>resuling tcl83.lib.  However, if I compile it with --disabled-shared, I get
>the following errors when linking against tcl83s.lib.  Is this to be
>expected?

>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_ResetResult
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_SourceRCFile
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_CreateCommand
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_Eval
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_Init
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_SetVar
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_CreateInterp
>job.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__Tcl_SetResult
>WinRel/make.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals

The EXTERN macro in tcl.h is expanding and adding __declspec(dllimport) to
the function prototypes.  Compile with -DSTATIC_BUILD to suppress it.
--

[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway,alpha sector]
Please be aware of the 7.5 year ping times when placing a call from alpha centari

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:22:12 GMT
 Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib

Quote:

>>I'm compiling Tcl v8.3.4 with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP4 on a Windows
>>NT 4.0 SP4 machine.

>>When I compile it with --enabled-shared, I can link other programs with
>>the resuling tcl83.lib.  However, if I compile it with
>>--disabled-shared, I get the following errors when linking against
>>tcl83s.lib.  Is this to be expected?

> The EXTERN macro in tcl.h is expanding and adding __declspec(dllimport)
> to the function prototypes.  Compile with -DSTATIC_BUILD to suppress it.

You da man!  Thanks!

Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:55:04 GMT
 Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib

Quote:

>>>I'm compiling Tcl v8.3.4 with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP4 on a Windows
>>>NT 4.0 SP4 machine.

>>>When I compile it with --enabled-shared, I can link other programs with
>>>the resuling tcl83.lib.  However, if I compile it with
>>>--disabled-shared, I get the following errors when linking against
>>>tcl83s.lib.  Is this to be expected?

>> The EXTERN macro in tcl.h is expanding and adding __declspec(dllimport)
>> to the function prototypes.  Compile with -DSTATIC_BUILD to suppress it.

>You da man!  Thanks!

Thankfully, 8.4 has this already working :)  Yeah, it's somewhat complex.
--

[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway,alpha sector]
Please be aware of the 7.5 year ping times when placing a call from alpha centari

Tue, 02 Nov 2004 02:56:13 GMT

1. : Linking w/ Static or Shared lib's

2. Tcl83.lib link problem

3. Shared vs static link performance hit --and Windows?

4. avoiding .lib .exp when building with shared lib with ifort 8.1 under windows

5. Linking sqldedev.lib, desktopenginedeploy.lib to my app: unsupported recordtype 21

6. Statically Linking tcl.lib and tk.lib into a standalone .exe file

7. linking .Net C++ exe with CVS 6.1 static lib

8. NETTO.LIB vs. NT workstations

9. Faxual.lib vs Faxual II

10. lib vs. dll

11. ASM Lib vs Borland C 3.1