tk/blt more books? 
Author Message
 tk/blt more books?

Dear tcl users

I need to have a comfortable level using tk and blt, I ordered
 Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) and thinking about
 the tk/blt side, do I need to also get Tcl/Tk in A Nutshell and/or
 Tcl/Tk Tools or what I ordered is good enough.

thanks



Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:17:15 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?
I would not get Tcl/Tk in a Nutshell for this purpose. I don't know
about Tcl/Tk Tools, but I think it wouldn't add a lot to Practical
Programming.

Practical Programming will cover Tk, and once you're comfortable with
it, learning the BLT library shouldn't be too hard. You can use BLT
widgets just like other widgets.

Although you should be fine with Practical Programming, another book
you might think of getting is "Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide", by Clif
Flynt.



Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:21:44 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?
I have only purchased "Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk" at this
point and while I am not heavily into Tcl at this moment it has served
me extremely well. That book + this newsgroup + the wiki is my formula
for getting things done in Tcl.

I would be interested in other book recommendation though.

Robert



Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:48:53 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?

Quote:

> I need to have a comfortable level using tk and blt, I ordered
>  Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) and thinking about
>  the tk/blt side, do I need to also get Tcl/Tk in A Nutshell and/or
>  Tcl/Tk Tools or what I ordered is good enough.

I find the BLT documentation problematic in what's missing.

I thought someone recently mentioned a book that has a chapter on BLT
with many examples, but I couldn't find it with Google groups.

--



Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:46:25 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?
Quote:


>>I need to have a comfortable level using tk and blt, I ordered
>> Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) and thinking about
>> the tk/blt side, do I need to also get Tcl/Tk in A Nutshell and/or
>> Tcl/Tk Tools or what I ordered is good enough.

> I find the BLT documentation problematic in what's missing.

> I thought someone recently mentioned a book that has a chapter on BLT
> with many examples, but I couldn't find it with Google groups.

Well there is the slides.pdf file:
 > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/blt/slides.pdf?download

referenced from here:
 > http://blt.sourceforge.net/

But afaik a lot of features have been added without mention in
the man pages.

going through the blt_demos will show more but not all.

uwe



Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:57:37 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?


                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>I thought someone recently mentioned a book that has a chapter on BLT
>with many examples, but I couldn't find it with Google groups.

                        .
                        .
                        .
http://wiki.tcl.tk/129
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tcltools/#top


Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:08:02 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?

Quote:


> > I need to have a comfortable level using tk and blt, I ordered
> >  Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) and thinking about
> >  the tk/blt side, do I need to also get Tcl/Tk in A Nutshell and/or
> >  Tcl/Tk Tools or what I ordered is good enough.

> I find the BLT documentation problematic in what's missing.

> I thought someone recently mentioned a book that has a chapter on BLT
> with many examples, but I couldn't find it with Google groups.

Speaking of BLT, I am wondering if the BLT graph or strip chart widgets
have a time axis option that is perhaps undocumented.

Given a time vector consisting of epcohal time values, it would be
great if the graph or strip chart widgets would plot the ticks
according to time...

For ex:

   10:00      12:00     02:00

Stuart



Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:24:50 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?

Quote:



>>> I need to have a comfortable level using tk and blt, I ordered
>>>  Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) and thinking about
>>>  the tk/blt side, do I need to also get Tcl/Tk in A Nutshell and/or
>>>  Tcl/Tk Tools or what I ordered is good enough.
>> I find the BLT documentation problematic in what's missing.

>> I thought someone recently mentioned a book that has a chapter on BLT
>> with many examples, but I couldn't find it with Google groups.

> Speaking of BLT, I am wondering if the BLT graph or strip chart widgets
> have a time axis option that is perhaps undocumented.

> Given a time vector consisting of epcohal time values, it would be
> great if the graph or strip chart widgets would plot the ticks
> according to time...

> For ex:

>    10:00      12:00     02:00

> Stuart

I have found that not to work - when trying to use epochal values I
received errors in tick calculations because values were too large or
something. The way I worked around it was to keep the time values
as "minutes from program start time" instead of "seconds since epoch"
and then supplied my custom label proc to convert to real time values \
to format the string as human readable time. If there is some additional
settings or somehting that support this diorectly I would also be
interested.

Bruce



Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:40:00 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?

Quote:




> >>> I need to have a comfortable level using tk and blt, I ordered
> >>>  Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) and thinking about
> >>>  the tk/blt side, do I need to also get Tcl/Tk in A Nutshell and/or
> >>>  Tcl/Tk Tools or what I ordered is good enough.
> >> I find the BLT documentation problematic in what's missing.

> >> I thought someone recently mentioned a book that has a chapter on BLT
> >> with many examples, but I couldn't find it with Google groups.

> > Speaking of BLT, I am wondering if the BLT graph or strip chart widgets
> > have a time axis option that is perhaps undocumented.

> > Given a time vector consisting of epcohal time values, it would be
> > great if the graph or strip chart widgets would plot the ticks
> > according to time...

> > For ex:

> >    10:00      12:00     02:00

> > Stuart

> I have found that not to work - when trying to use epochal values I
> received errors in tick calculations because values were too large or
> something.

Ooops. I should've been more specific. I meant that given epochal
values, BLT would do internal calculations to convert them to human
readable time. And make Daily, hourly ticks.

 The way I worked around it was to keep the time values

Quote:
> as "minutes from program start time" instead of "seconds since epoch"
> and then supplied my custom label proc to convert to real time values \
> to format the string as human readable time.

Exactly. However, I'm working with a real-time datastream, where the
data are labeld with respect to time.

If there is some additional

Quote:
> settings or somehting that support this diorectly I would also be
> interested.

Your proc sounds like something I can use with perhaps some
modification. Could you post it or email to me.

Yours,

Stuart



Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:16:12 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?

Quote:

> Speaking of BLT, I am wondering if the BLT graph or strip chart widgets
> have a time axis option that is perhaps undocumented.
> For ex:

>    10:00      12:00     02:00

That part is easy, and documented, but not automatic...

.strip axis configure x -command format_time -title Time

proc format_time { w t } {
    return [clock format $t -format {%H:%M}]

Quote:
}

But...

When doing things this way, you may accidentally get a terrible choice
of tick positions, if you let that be automatic, because BLT may put
the tick marks where the seconds-from-epoch are round numbers.

That is to say that BLT has (or seems to have) no autoscaling mode
appropriate for time-in-minutes.  I have been explicitly setting the
time range and tick increment, like

      # Configure x (time) axis, whose units are seconds-of-the-epoch:
      set inc 60
      set s [expr {$clogv(Graph_Minutes)*0.3}]
      foreach i [list 1 2 3 5 10 20 30 60 120] {
          if { $i < $s } { set inc [expr {60*$i}] }
      }
      set tmax [expr { ($clogv(Graph_To_Sec)/$inc + 1)*$inc }]
      set ninc [expr { round(($clogv(Graph_Minutes)*60+.99)/$inc) }]
      set tmin [expr { $tmax - $ninc*$inc }]
      $logwin.lv_graph_sc axis configure x -min $tmin -max $tmax -stepsize $inc

--



Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:40:48 GMT  
 tk/blt more books?

Quote:


> > Speaking of BLT, I am wondering if the BLT graph or strip chart widgets
> > have a time axis option that is perhaps undocumented.

> > For ex:

> >    10:00      12:00     02:00

> That part is easy, and documented, but not automatic...

> .strip axis configure x -command format_time -title Time

> proc format_time { w t } {
>     return [clock format $t -format {%H:%M}]
> }

> But...

> When doing things this way, you may accidentally get a terrible choice
> of tick positions, if you let that be automatic, because BLT may put
> the tick marks where the seconds-from-epoch are round numbers.

> That is to say that BLT has (or seems to have) no autoscaling mode
> appropriate for time-in-minutes.  I have been explicitly setting the
> time range and tick increment, like

>       # Configure x (time) axis, whose units are seconds-of-the-epoch:
>       set inc 60
>       set s [expr {$clogv(Graph_Minutes)*0.3}]
>       foreach i [list 1 2 3 5 10 20 30 60 120] {
>           if { $i < $s } { set inc [expr {60*$i}] }
>       }
>       set tmax [expr { ($clogv(Graph_To_Sec)/$inc + 1)*$inc }]
>       set ninc [expr { round(($clogv(Graph_Minutes)*60+.99)/$inc) }]
>       set tmin [expr { $tmax - $ninc*$inc }]
>       $logwin.lv_graph_sc axis configure x -min $tmin -max $tmax -stepsize $inc

Thanks for the tips..

Stuart



Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:45:25 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. BLT: the instruction order is surprisingly relevant ( BLT 2.4 tk 8.0.5 windows NT)

2. ANNOUNCE: BLT busy for Windows, Tk 8.0, BLT 8.0 unofficial

3. How to create bitmaps files with TK/BLT ?

4. Compile BLT for recent Tcl/Tk on MacOS X (X11)

5. BLT with TCL/TK 8.4.9 and Python 2.4

6. BLT and Tk 8.5 test report

7. Newbie question about Tcl/Tk cross-platform and looking for BLT stripchart screenshot

8. need blt binaries for tcl/tk 8.4 ( and threads as well)

9. Tcl/Tk + BLT + mktclapp

10. Specify color as RGB values in TK / BLT

11. http://www.tcl.tk//blt/ == broken link.

12. Tcl/Tk porting problems to IBM AIX O/S / BLT Oratcl Tix Tree Widget tkTable

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software