ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)

WHAT:   Enhanced Tk Console for all Tk platforms

WHERE:   http://www.*-*-*.com/ (NEW LOCATION)

REQUIREMENTS: Tcl/Tk 8.0+ (tested through 8.4a2)
        TkCon is all Tcl/Tk code, no compiling required

WHY:    TkCon is a replacement for the standard console that comes with Tk
(on Windows/Mac, but also works on Unix).  TkCon provides many more features
than the standard console and works on all platforms where Tcl/Tk is
available.  It is meant primarily to aid one when working with the little
details inside tcl and tk and to give Unix users the GUI console provided by
default in the Mac and Windows Tk.

FEATURES:
    Command history
    Path (Unix style) / Proc / Variable name expansion
    Multiple consoles, each with its own state (via multiple interpreters)
    Captures stdout and stderr to console window (puts overridden)
    Electric character matching (a la emacs)
    Electric proc highlighting
    Enhanced history searching
    Configurable
    Cut / Copy / Paste between windows (interoperates with native platform)
    Communication between consoles and other Tk interpreters
        (including non-tcl ones)
    Works on all Tk platforms

NOTES:
        This isn't a real release announcement, just an announcement that
tkcon has a new physical home.  All previous links should now be considered
invalid (I'm going to try and clean them up), in favor of the SourceForge
link above.  Tkcon now has CVS, and I'd be willing to set up mailing lists
and a bug db if I get enough user feedback.
        Although this isn't a release announcement, I should note that the
tkcon that is in CVS is much newer than the last official release (v1.6 in
April 1999).  You can grab a copy of my latest checkin via this link:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~checkout~/tkcon/tkcon....

        New features include the ability to connect to Tk on other displays,
or connect directly to a socket.  v2.0+ also requires being run in an 8.0+
interpreter, although it will connect to any version with 'send' enabled.
Hmmm, I'm sure there's lots of changes since v1.6, but you'll have to
download them and find out for yourself.  I'm such a lazy bum for not
keeping my docs straight - but that's why it's in CVS now.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)

Quote:
> WHAT:      Enhanced Tk Console for all Tk platforms

> WHERE:     http://tkcon.sourceforge.net/ (NEW LOCATION)

> REQUIREMENTS: Tcl/Tk 8.0+ (tested through 8.4a2)
>         TkCon is all Tcl/Tk code, no compiling required

Jeffrey,
The new revision 1.20 is only working with Tcl /Tk > 8.3 as it uses
[info channels ] in proc ::tkcon::SocketMenu
Joseph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)

Quote:

> > WHAT: Enhanced Tk Console for all Tk platforms

> > WHERE:        http://tkcon.sourceforge.net/ (NEW LOCATION)

> > REQUIREMENTS: Tcl/Tk 8.0+ (tested through 8.4a2)
> >         TkCon is all Tcl/Tk code, no compiling required

> Jeffrey,
> The new revision 1.20 is only working with Tcl /Tk > 8.3 as it uses
> [info channels ] in proc ::tkcon::SocketMenu

Doh, that's what happens when I don't check all the new features with
older versions of Tcl.  Let's see here... OK, I've fixed it, but I
can't connect to SourceForge cvs at the moment (ouch!), so you'll have
to wait some time before I can commit the fix (basically disallowing
Attach to Socket in <8.3 because you can't reliably get the socket
names cross-platform).

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)

Quote:

>         New features include the ability to connect to Tk on other displays,
> or connect directly to a socket.

How would one use the direct socket connection?
Is there a simple usage case shown somewhere?

Thanks, Bruce.

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)

Quote:

> >         New features include the ability to connect to Tk on other displays,
> > or connect directly to a socket.

> How would one use the direct socket connection?
> Is there a simple usage case shown somewhere?

OK, here goes.  In one tkcon window (or any tclsh interpreter), eval
the following:

#################################
interp create -safe calc

proc accept {sock ip port} {
    fconfigure $sock -blocking 0
    fileevent $sock readable [list respond $sock]

Quote:
}

proc respond {sock} {
    if {[catch {read -nonewline $sock} data] || [eof $sock]} {
        catch {close $sock}
        return
    }
    if {0} {
        # dangerous regular evaluator
        catch $data result
    } else {
        # safe calculator style evaluator
        catch {interp eval calc [list expr $data]} result
    }
    puts $sock $result
    flush $sock
    puts "\"$data\" => $result"

Quote:
}

socket -server accept 7272
##################################

Then in Tkcon, you would do
        Console -> Attach To -> Socket -> Create Connection

Enter the name of the machine running the above, with port 7272.
No anything you enter at the command line will be run through the
socket-based calculator.  On the client side, you can see a sample:

Quote:
>sock136< () 15 % 5+5

sock136 5+5
10
Quote:
>sock136< () 16 % [exit]

sock136 {[exit]}
invalid command name "exit"
Quote:
>sock136< () 17 % ( 1 < 2 ) ? "yes" : "no"

sock136 {( 1 < 2 ) ? "yes" : "no"}
yes

Quote:
>sock136< () 18 %

and the server side shows this:

"5+5" => 10
"[exit]" => invalid command name "exit"
"( 1 < 2 ) ? "yes" : "no"" => yes

Note that in doing this I found a slight bug in proper handling,
so you'll actually want the absolute newest tkcon to really
simulate the above correctly (I also removed the extra puts on
the client side):

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/tkcon/tkcon....

Another more fun example is to just do Create Connection to any
www server port (ie www.ajubasolutions.com, port 80) and type:

        GET / HTTP/1.0\n

and you'll get the page output for you.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon (corrected)
This is a really nice addition. I have gobs of code I want to use this with. I
had setup a Tcl telnet type server to handle remote user connections, but this
is much better, as I can use tkcon on the client side rather than just a dumb
featureless telnet client.

Thank you Thank you!

-Bruce.

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: New home for TkCon

2. ANNOUNCE: The Scheme Repository moves to a new home

3. ANNOUNCE: new home for S4

4. ANNOUNCE: The Scheme Repository moves to a new home

5. Announce: Tcl Plugin new home

6. Announce: Tcl Plugin new home

7. ANNOUNCE: cgi.tcl: new version, home page, and examples on-line

8. MswLogo 4.0 is finally moved to it's correct home

9. Tkcon - not sourcing tkcon.cfg?

10. Q: TKCon and tkcon.cfg

11. A silly tkCon question for Jeffrey Hobbs (or other tkCon user)