Using TCL/tk/Expect for Automated GUI Testing
Author Message
 Using TCL/tk/Expect for Automated GUI Testing

Quote:

> This is a newbie question :-) (ie: I am an accomplished Java programmer
> but I am completely new to TCL/Tk)

> I have developed a Java (Swing-based) GUI application. I have to provide
> an automated (hands-off) GUI testing suite as part of my deliverable.
> The GUI consists of text fields, buttons etc and can be controlled either
> keyboard or via mouse.

> I understand that TCL/Tk and/or Expect are ideal tools for what I need
> to deliver.

Not as is.  You need android:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> The TCL-based test code will have to send mouse and keyboard events
> to simulate movement of mouse (and mouse buttons for button selection)
> as well as keyboard shortcuts etc.

That's what android does for you.

--
.-.    .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-<  >  / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-'  |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000| http://www.*-*-*.com/ :8000/books/list.html

Tue, 01 May 2007 02:44:20 GMT
 Using TCL/tk/Expect for Automated GUI Testing

Quote:

> > Not as is.  You need android:

> > http://www.wildopensource.com/activities/larry-projects/android.php
> > > The TCL-based test code will have to send mouse and keyboard events
> > > to simulate movement of mouse (and mouse buttons for button selection)
> > > as well as keyboard shortcuts etc.
> > That's what android does for you.
> Unless you develop on/for Windows in which case you're SOL.

Not completely.  You can always send Windows events.

It's _really_ ugly, and you'll need to know what windows, buttons, etc.
to send the events to [1], but, have a look at sendev:

   http://www.geocities.com/m_schrumpf/c/index.html#sendev

[1] And for identifying windows, buttons, etc., see winlist and
getwindow on the same page.

--
MKS

Tue, 01 May 2007 09:51:14 GMT
 Using TCL/tk/Expect for Automated GUI Testing

Quote:

>> > Not as is.  You need android:

>> > http://www.wildopensource.com/activities/larry-projects/android.php

>> > That's what android does for you.

>> Unless you develop on/for Windows in which case you're SOL.

>Not completely.  You can always send Windows events.

>It's _really_ ugly, and you'll need to know what windows, buttons, etc.
>to send the events to [1], but, have a look at sendev:

>   http://www.geocities.com/m_schrumpf/c/index.html#sendev

>[1] And for identifying windows, buttons, etc., see winlist and
>getwindow on the same page.

                        .
                        .
                        .
Oh, there are far more alternatives than just that.  Larry's
had good success driving Windows applications with Android
through VNC, AutoIt is a hit with many, ...  Well, I'll sum-
marize this way:  not even <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/8813 >
exhausts all the possibilities.

Tue, 01 May 2007 23:08:34 GMT
 Using TCL/tk/Expect for Automated GUI Testing

Quote:

>>Not as is.  You need android:

>>http://www.wildopensource.com/activities/larry-projects/android.php

>>>The TCL-based test code will have to send mouse and keyboard events
>>>to simulate movement of mouse (and mouse buttons for button selection)
>>>as well as keyboard shortcuts etc.

>>That's what android does for you.

> Unless you develop on/for Windows in which case you're SOL.

One could argue that anyone on/for Windows is SOL no matter
what the context, however, when it comes to android, that's
not entirely true.  One can run android on a linux box and
use vncviewer as a client.  With vncviewer set to display
the windows desktop of your choice, android will cheerfully
drive your Windows anywhere you want...

--
.-.    .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-<  >  / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-'  |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000|http://www.smith-house.org:8000/books/list.html

Wed, 02 May 2007 05:43:40 GMT

1. GUI Tests via TCL / TK /Expect

2. automated Tk GUI regression testing

3. Automated testing of Tk-based GUIs

4. HELP: automating tests on tk guis?

5. Tcl and Expect Questions for Automated Network Testing

6. Automating Tcl/Tk GUI application

7. automated tests of tcl/tk interface

8. Automated Testing for TCL/TK

9. Automated testing tools for tcl/tk

10. Automated Testing Tools for Tcl/Tk

11. Automated testing of Tcl/Tk applications

12. Automated testing methods of Tcl/Tk programs?