X resource id wrap-around
Author Message
 X resource id wrap-around

I'm using tk-3.6 in a project because I get the feeling that tk-4.0 isn't
stable yet.  However the FAQ mentions the fact that one of the
improvements in 4.0 is a fix to a problem that affects long running
applications.  Can anybody tell me anything about this X resource id
wrap-around problem, what is the magic number ceiling and is there a way
I can ask my wish what value I've reach so far?  ie will I be 'crashing'
once a month or only every couple of years?
--
Loris Caren                  | I run Linux on my PC, it's the best
Hampshire, England           | thing since sliced bread.

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 X resource id wrap-around
:> I'm using tk-3.6 in a project because I get the feeling that tk-4.0 isn't
:> stable yet.  However the FAQ mentions the fact that one of the
:> improvements in 4.0 is a fix to a problem that affects long running
:> applications.  Can anybody tell me anything about this X resource id
:> wrap-around problem, what is the magic number ceiling and is there a way
:> I can ask my wish what value I've reach so far?  ie will I be 'crashing'
:> once a month or only every couple of years?

My application which is updating about a hundred label widgets each half a
second ( telemetry from satelite ) was crashing in about 10 hours ( Tk
library is allocating off-screen pixmap to update each widget what "eats up"
one XID in 3.6 ). I patched 3.6 looking on what was done in 4.0 about
this problem ( I have same feeling as you about 4.0 ), and now everything
is fine.

--
/-- Alexander V. Panasyuk    | Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics  --\

\-- FAX: 617-495-7455        | "No good deed shall remain unpunished."      --/

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 X resource id wrap-around
: I'm using tk-3.6 in a project because I get the feeling that tk-4.0 isn't
: stable yet.  However the FAQ mentions the fact that one of the
: improvements in 4.0 is a fix to a problem that affects long running
: applications.  Can anybody tell me anything about this X resource id
: wrap-around problem, what is the magic number ceiling and is there a way
: I can ask my wish what value I've reach so far?  ie will I be 'crashing'
: once a month or only every couple of years?
: --
: Loris Caren                  | I run Linux on my PC, it's the best
: Hampshire, England           | thing since sliced bread.

Once a month is very possible. It depends on what you application is doing
exactly. We had some things like wind sensor display's that updated a canvas
every 5 seconds and it would "crash" in less than a week.

GTE Weather Systems Group   31717 La Tienda Dr, Westlake Village CA. 91359

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. How Do You Wrap Around Text in a Text Pane

2. Wrap-Around Spin Boxes Tip

3. Wrapping a bitmap around a globe polygon - how ??

4. REP STOS segment wrap around?

5. wrapped around the axle on regexpressions and file searching

6. Wrapping TK around Graphical Word Perfect

7. Can you wrap Tk around a shell?

8. Wrap around Canvas??!?!

9. Wrapping TK around an existing X application

10. Resource ID: String vs number

11. fopen / preg_replace / newbie / Resource id #2

12. Python COM and bitmap Resource ID's