Possibility of other newsgroups?
Author Message
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

This group seems to have enough traffic to warrant splitting up in some
manner, perhaps by core tcl/tk vs extensions... Anyone have any thoughts
on the subject?

--
Will Coleda                         http://www.*-*-*.com/
I said I didn't know."                       -- Mark Twain

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

Quote:

> This group seems to have enough traffic to warrant splitting up in some
> manner, perhaps by core tcl/tk vs extensions... Anyone have any thoughts
> on the subject?

Works for me.  How about:

 comp.lang.tcl.core (Tcl, Tk, C APIs, etc. If it comes from Sun, it's
here)
 comp.lang.tcl.extensions (expect, Tix, SpecTcl, etc.)
 comp.lang.tcl.windows (like wintcl-l, I guess)
 comp.lang.tcl.unix
 comp.lang.tcl.mac (Not much mac traffic here. Don't know if we need
this)

                                   Chris
--
Chris Nelson                               As MIT is not "Massachusetts"

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

:This group seems to have enough traffic to warrant splitting up in some
:manner, perhaps by core tcl/tk vs extensions... Anyone have any thoughts
:on the subject?

My opinions on the topic appear in
<URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/part1.html> or the
version that should be appearing today at one's site as part 1 of
the comp.lang.tcl FAQ.

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

Quote:

> > This group seems to have enough traffic to warrant splitting up in some
> > manner, perhaps by core tcl/tk vs extensions... Anyone have any thoughts
> > on the subject?

> Works for me.  How about:

>  comp.lang.tcl.core (Tcl, Tk, C APIs, etc. If it comes from Sun, it's here)
>  comp.lang.tcl.extensions (expect, Tix, SpecTcl, etc.)
>  comp.lang.tcl.windows (like wintcl-l, I guess)
>  comp.lang.tcl.unix
>  comp.lang.tcl.mac (Not much mac traffic here. Don't know if we need this)

I don't see it.  As far as I can see the current traffic breaks down
into questions about why 08 doesn't work, and announcements.  I see
relatively little traffic that is platform specific - which is as
it should be.

We could always rename comp.lang.tcl to comp.lang.hobbs_and_laird_tcl_help_desk ;-)

John Ellson

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

:I don't see it.  As far as I can see the current traffic breaks down
:into questions about why 08 doesn't work, and announcements.  I see
:relatively little traffic that is platform specific - which is as
:it should be.
:

Not only that, but here's the breakdown I see in terms of articles posted
over the past 5 days.

  19 Sep 28
  40 Sep 29
  48 Sep 30
  30 Oct  1
  46 Oct  2

Of these, 53 Subject contents appeared only 1 time, 30 Subject contents
appeared twice, 14 appeared 3 times, and 4 appeared 4 times and 2 appeared 5
times.

The area of concern should be that of the 53 one time occurances, at least
14 had the word help or a question of some sort in them and 12 had the word
bug or problem in them.

3 appear to be postings of patches, 3 were announcements of some
sort, 1 was a job posting.

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

Quote:
>This group seems to have enough traffic to warrant splitting up in some
>manner, perhaps by core tcl/tk vs extensions... Anyone have any thoughts
>on the subject?

>--
>Will Coleda                         http://www.coleda.com/
>"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
>I said I didn't know."                       -- Mark Twain

A good thought, but people will surely quibble that the extensions do
not have enough in common (except for being Tcl/Tk extensions) to
group them together.

Harry

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

Consider the suggestion retracted. ^_^

--
Will Coleda                         http://www.coleda.com/
I said I didn't know."                       -- Mark Twain

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

Quote:

> > > This group seems to have enough traffic to warrant splitting up in some
> > > manner, perhaps by core tcl/tk vs extensions... Anyone have any thoughts
> > > on the subject?

> > Works for me.  How about:

> >  comp.lang.tcl.core (Tcl, Tk, C APIs, etc. If it comes from Sun, it's here)
> >  comp.lang.tcl.extensions (expect, Tix, SpecTcl, etc.)
> >  comp.lang.tcl.windows (like wintcl-l, I guess)
> >  comp.lang.tcl.unix
> >  comp.lang.tcl.mac (Not much mac traffic here. Don't know if we need this)

> I don't see it.  As far as I can see the current traffic breaks down
> into questions about why 08 doesn't work, and announcements.  I see
> relatively little traffic that is platform specific - which is as
> it should be.

IMHO there are 4 kinds of postings:

1) Where can I get and/or how do I install  Tcl/Tk and/or package XY.
2) How can I do ... with Tcl/Tk and/or package XY.
3) I want to announce a programm/extension I wrote with/for Tcl/Tk.
4) I think ... is wrong in Tcl/Tk or why is ... not supported and/or part of Tcl/Tk.

So I would suggest 4 groups:

1) comp.lang.tcl.packages
2) comp.lang.tcl.coding
3) comp.lang.tcl.announce
4) comp.lang.tcl

Ciao,
    Joerg

--

IfI WWU Muenster, Einsteinstr. 62, 48727 Muenster
Tel. +49 251/83-33987

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

:IMHO there are 4 kinds of postings:
:
:1) Where can I get and/or how do I install  Tcl/Tk and/or package XY.

        Since in most cases the answer to this one is to read one of
the posted or webified FAQs, it doesn't seem necessary to have a group for
it.

:2) How can I do ... with Tcl/Tk and/or package XY.
:3) I want to announce a programm/extension I wrote with/for Tcl/Tk.

        And we have a newsgroup for this one.

:4) I think ... is wrong in Tcl/Tk or why is ... not supported and/or
:part of Tcl/Tk.

        If you mean debating over tcl vs other languages as well as
debating over ways of implementing particular features of tcl, that
seems more suitable to a comp.lang.tcl.advocacy newsgroup.

        However, unless all groups are moderated, there is little
to prevent folk from using the newsgroups however they want, making
the distinction less than useful.

:So I would suggest 4 groups:
:
:1) comp.lang.tcl.packages
:2) comp.lang.tcl.coding
:3) comp.lang.tcl.announce
:4) comp.lang.tcl

So I _might_ see

:1) comp.lang.tcl.announce
:2) comp.lang.tcl
:3) comp.lang.tcl.advocacy

if 2 and 3 were moderated.  However, so far, that's about the only
break down I've seen that makes a lot of sense.  For that matter, perhaps
something like the automoderation on the www and perl newsgroups would be
useful to put into place for comp.lang.tcl .  This is simply an automated
mechanism that sends a user an intro to comp.lang.tcl email msg, letting
them know where they can find tcl, tk, the extensions, the applications,
tutorials, etc.

I could see where in the future a comp.lang.tcl.extensions might become
useful, if the level of discussions over implementing extensions ever rose
to say 30-50% of the postings in the newsgroup.  However, until that happens,
I don't see the need, myself.

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Possibility of other newsgroups?

Quote:

> : IMHO there are 4 kinds of postings:
> :
> :1) Where can I get and/or how do I install  Tcl/Tk and/or package XY.

>         Since in most cases the answer to this one is to read one of
> the posted or webified FAQs, it doesn't seem necessary to have a group for
> it.

That's just what I think people should do, but in fact many of them seem topost
their messages first and are told in a reply (which is often written by
Larry ;-) ) to read one of the FAQs.

comp.lang.hobbs_and_laird_tcl_help_desk ;-)"
Unfortunately he's right with that. Many of the postings wouldn't be
necessary if the sender had first read a book about Tcl or the FAQ.

Larry's postings showed me, that we're still not right with the names for
the new clt groups, but splitting the newsgroup in a way, that postingscan be
better channalized with regard to their topics is desirable, I think.

Quote:
> However, unless all groups are moderated, there is little
> to prevent folk from using the newsgroups however they want, making
> the distinction less than useful.

Wouldn't you classify streets of a city in different "speed zones" like
"30 km/h" in living areas but let them all be motorways just because you
don't have a policeman who looks for cars driving to fast ;-)
I think the people in the "living areas" (that are we who participate in clt)
can tell people who do postings to the wrong group where to post,  just as
we do it with people submitting spam postings.

Ciao,
    Joerg

--

IfI WWU Muenster, Einsteinstr. 62, 48727 Muenster
Tel. +49 251/83-33987
http://www.uni-muenster.de/informatik/u/reiberg

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Purpose of newsgroups RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

2. X-Newsgroups and Newsgroups headers

3. Graphic Possibilities of APL

4. Fw: Graphic Possibilities of APL

5. Drag and Drop possibilities

6. Programming possibilities...

7. Any possibility to lock part of a diagram?

8. M language Unix Version/Migration Possibilities

9. GUI possibilities

10. Possibility of executing programs

11. Q: What are the possibilities of Scheme?

12. Possibility of shareware/freeware TS M2