Tcl Bytecode
Author Message
 Tcl Bytecode

Quote:
>I have some questions about Tcl8.0 bytecode.

Your first three questions all have the same answer - At the moment
the byte codes are not "public" because the Tcl group feels they are
still being defined.  When they feel the byte codes are relatively
stable, they will provide better interfaces to them and the ability
to save out and reload byte code.  No announced schedule.

Quote:
>4) Any work on bytecode translators (eg Tcl -> Java) possible,
>   planned or in progress?

While therer was some discussion of this at the conference, I think
we'll have to wait until Tcl'98 to hear more about this.  The reason
that the Tcl group didn't go straight with Java bytee codes is that
the underlying nature of Tcl was too complex to model on Java byte
codes.  With the work on Tcl/Java integration occuring now, there is
sure to be more info on this next year.

--
    Jeffrey Hobbs               "I'm really just a Tcl-bot"
    jeff.hobbs at acm.org | Jeffrey.Hobbs at oen.siemens.de

Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl Bytecode

                        .
                [much correct
                and useful
                information]
                        .
                        .

Quote:
>While therer was some discussion of this at the conference, I think
>we'll have to wait until Tcl'98 to hear more about this.  The reason
>that the Tcl group didn't go straight with Java bytee codes is that
>the underlying nature of Tcl was too complex to model on Java byte
>codes.  With the work on Tcl/Java integration occuring now, there is

                        .
                        .
                        .
I'll give a slightly different emphasis for two of the many
points Jeffrey accurately reports:
1.  myself, I don't call Tcl "too complex to model
    on Java byte codes."  It's quite true that the
    computational (and especially security!) models
    of Tcl and Java are quite different, and this
    makes the modelling analysis complex.  The com-
    plexity of the languages themselves is a
    different matter.  I think Jeffrey and I agree
    on this, and I'm just out to fill in a few words
    he left implicit.
2.  If you're in a hurry for Java bytecode, I believe
    Wayne Christopher and/or Forest Rouse of ICEM CFD
    Engineering have a deal for you.  Write to them

--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl Bytecode

Quote:
> I have some questions about Tcl8.0 bytecode.

> 1) Is the specification for the bytecode, and the virtual machine
>    which runs it, published anywhere?

No.  Well, there is the C source, but I don't think that you meant
that...

Quote:
> 2) Can I use the C API to dump bytecode to file?

No.  Not at present.

Quote:
> 3) Can I get the VM to execute previously stored bytecode?

Obviously not, since they can't be stored ATM.

Quote:
> 4) Any work on bytecode translators (eg Tcl -> Java) possible,
>    planned or in progress?

Stored bytecodes are planned, but the bytecodes themselves are still
under development, and nobody wants to lock themselves in this early
in the game.  Tcl BCs and Java BCs don't match well - the semantics
are too different.  There are some cunning things going on with Tcl
and Java though - see http://sunscript.sun.com/

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows   http://r8h.cs.man.ac.uk:8000/    Boing!  Boing!  Boing!

--
I have a really good anti-spam mail filter in use.  Don't bother spamming me...

Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Tcl Bytecodes vs. Java Bytecodes

2. Tcl Bytecode and Forth / Tcl on the PalmPilot

3. Tcl ByteCode to C-Strings

4. tcl bytecode compiled script

5. TCL ByteCode Compiler

6. Tcl bytecode interpreter catches errors at inappropriate times

7. Tcl bytecode interpreter catches errors at inappropriate times

8. TCL bytecodes documentation

9. Q: TCL to bytecode & persistence

10. Q: Tcl on-the-fly bytecode compiler

11. Bytecode:Tcl-Script->Binary