TCL Plugin - Policy, Packages, ...
Author Message
 TCL Plugin - Policy, Packages, ...

Hi,

First, i'm a french coder so excuse me for my bad english !

I've discovered the TCL Plugin yesterday and i was impressed, it was THE
solution for me, a very good and easy alternative at Java !

I'm creating a French IRC Network and i'd like to make an applet to let
users chat from the web ! My first problem: i can't use socket !

I've looked the documentation and i see that if i want to use outside
sockets, i need tu load the outside policy !

Second problem: i can't load it: permission denied !

What is the goal of make an outise policy if we can't load it ?

Second question is that i want to make a pretty applet, for end-users !
So i want to use BWidget ! How can i do ? How can i load image from my
Tclet ?

All this is very complicated... I'd liek to do this with Tcl/Tk becouse
if i success many users will install the TCL Plugin ! And others
developpers will -why not- learn TCL to make Tclet ?

--
Merwin, France

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:09:14 GMT
 TCL Plugin - Policy, Packages, ...

I have the feeling too, that the Tcl plugin is not very well documented
- too much details and no complete overview/tutorial which explains the
nuts and bolts.

However, there are some links in the wiki: http://wiki.tcl.tk/2?Q=plugin

Eckhard

Merwin schrieb:

Quote:
> Hi,

> First, i'm a french coder so excuse me for my bad english !

> I've discovered the TCL Plugin yesterday and i was impressed, it was THE
> solution for me, a very good and easy alternative at Java !

> I'm creating a French IRC Network and i'd like to make an applet to let
> users chat from the web ! My first problem: i can't use socket !

> I've looked the documentation and i see that if i want to use outside
> sockets, i need tu load the outside policy !

> Second problem: i can't load it: permission denied !

> What is the goal of make an outise policy if we can't load it ?

> Second question is that i want to make a pretty applet, for end-users !
> So i want to use BWidget ! How can i do ? How can i load image from my
> Tclet ?

> All this is very complicated... I'd liek to do this with Tcl/Tk becouse
> if i success many users will install the TCL Plugin ! And others
> developpers will -why not- learn TCL to make Tclet ?

> --
> Merwin, France

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 02:17:22 GMT
 TCL Plugin - Policy, Packages, ...

Quote:

> I've discovered the TCL Plugin yesterday and i was impressed, it was THE
> solution for me, a very good and easy alternative at Java !

> I'm creating a French IRC Network and i'd like to make an applet to let
> users chat from the web ! My first problem: i can't use socket !

> I've looked the documentation and i see that if i want to use outside
> sockets, i need tu load the outside policy !

> Second problem: i can't load it: permission denied !

> What is the goal of make an outise policy if we can't load it ?

The policy management stuff is pretty well documented at:
        http://www.tcl.tk/software/plugin/

However, with the current v3 plugin, it is actually a bit
harder to configure the special files.  In order to make it
easy to deploy, I am using stardlls, with everything embedded
into the dll.  You can crack these open just like any starkit,
but not modify it at runtime.

I may well have to move to a multi-file distribution again,
with the core in the stardll, and a tcl/ subdirectory in the
plugins/ folder that has the plugin3.0 package.  That way users
can more easily manage plugin policies and config files.

Quote:
> Second question is that i want to make a pretty applet, for end-users !
> So i want to use BWidget ! How can i do ? How can i load image from my
> Tclet ?

Let's take this discussion to the tclplugin-core mailing list.
It is possible, but the "best way" is not yet decided.

--
   Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
   http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:35:24 GMT
 TCL Plugin - Policy, Packages, ...
Jeff Hobbs a crit :

Quote:

>> I've discovered the TCL Plugin yesterday and i was impressed, it was
>> THE solution for me, a very good and easy alternative at Java !

>> I'm creating a French IRC Network and i'd like to make an applet to
>> let users chat from the web ! My first problem: i can't use socket !

>> I've looked the documentation and i see that if i want to use outside
>> sockets, i need tu load the outside policy !

>> Second problem: i can't load it: permission denied !

>> What is the goal of make an outise policy if we can't load it ?

> The policy management stuff is pretty well documented at:
>     http://www.tcl.tk/software/plugin/

> However, with the current v3 plugin, it is actually a bit
> harder to configure the special files.  In order to make it
> easy to deploy, I am using stardlls, with everything embedded
> into the dll.  You can crack these open just like any starkit,
> but not modify it at runtime.

> I may well have to move to a multi-file distribution again,
> with the core in the stardll, and a tcl/ subdirectory in the
> plugins/ folder that has the plugin3.0 package.  That way users
> can more easily manage plugin policies and config files.

>> Second question is that i want to make a pretty applet, for end-users !
>> So i want to use BWidget ! How can i do ? How can i load image from my
>> Tclet ?

> Let's take this discussion to the tclplugin-core mailing list.
> It is possible, but the "best way" is not yet decided.

I'm not familiar with starpack and i think my users are not too...
All this seems very complicated... when will be released the next
version ? It would be very good if a dialog box where showed to user
asking them "Do you want to execute this Tclet, it uses socket..." !

--
Merwin

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 01:24:15 GMT

1. Tcl Plugin and Policy trusted...

2. problem using policy with tcl-plugin

3. Creating new policies for the Tcl plugin

4. Tcl package not included after Tcl plugin installation

5. Can the Tcl Plugin load packages?

6. Another plugin question : Home policy and exec

7. plugin policy: javascript

8. Help Needed for TCL Plugin Browser Package

9. Packages and the TCL-Plugin?

10. Help with plugin Safe policy

11. Looking for the Tcl Plugin that is based on Tcl 8.3

12. Looking for experienced tcl prgrm to code tcl plugin prototype