Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?
Author Message
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

There are several 'unix-like' environments available for Windows that
sets one up to attempt to build Unix software to run on Windows.

One of the ones frequently discussed here on clt is Cygwin.  The big
problem with this one is that Tcl/Tk/etc. doesn't current compile using
the Cygwin compiler - you have to get an alternative compiler to get
it to work.

However, there are alternatives.  I know of at least one - UWIN - that
comes with a C compiler as well as other tools.  I suspect there are
others.

Has anyone examined these various options to see if Tcl will build under
them?  Just curious what works and doesn't work out of the box.
--
"I know of vanishingly few people ... who choose to use ksh." "I'm a minority!"

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:34:55 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?
I used mingw32 and this worked fine (tcl/tk version 8.4a2 I think).

Quote:

> There are several 'unix-like' environments available for Windows that
> sets one up to attempt to build Unix software to run on Windows.

> One of the ones frequently discussed here on clt is Cygwin.  The big
> problem with this one is that Tcl/Tk/etc. doesn't current compile using
> the Cygwin compiler - you have to get an alternative compiler to get
> it to work.

> However, there are alternatives.  I know of at least one - UWIN - that
> comes with a C compiler as well as other tools.  I suspect there are
> others.

> Has anyone examined these various options to see if Tcl will build under
> them?  Just curious what works and doesn't work out of the box.
> --
> "I know of vanishingly few people ... who choose to use ksh." "I'm a
minority!"

> Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting
> should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:23:42 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

Quote:

> There are several 'unix-like' environments available for Windows that
> sets one up to attempt to build Unix software to run on Windows.

> One of the ones frequently discussed here on clt is Cygwin.  The big
> problem with this one is that Tcl/Tk/etc. doesn't current compile using
> the Cygwin compiler - you have to get an alternative compiler to get
> it to work.

> However, there are alternatives.  I know of at least one - UWIN - that
> comes with a C compiler as well as other tools.  I suspect there are
> others.

> Has anyone examined these various options to see if Tcl will build under
> them?  Just curious what works and doesn't work out of the box.

I used Cygwin on Windows 2000 to compile Tcl and Tk 8.4a3.
I remember having to modify 2 files (maybe lib path) but I deleted my work.
For now you can get the resulting binaries at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/maurice.ulis/TclTk8a3-bin.zip
http://membres.tripod.fr/ulis/TclTk8a3-bin.zip

ulis

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:25:00 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

Quote:

>There are several 'unix-like' environments available for Windows that
>sets one up to attempt to build Unix software to run on Windows.

>One of the ones frequently discussed here on clt is Cygwin.  The big
>problem with this one is that Tcl/Tk/etc. doesn't current compile using
>the Cygwin compiler - you have to get an alternative compiler to get
>it to work.

>However, there are alternatives.  I know of at least one - UWIN - that
>comes with a C compiler as well as other tools.  I suspect there are
>others.

>Has anyone examined these various options to see if Tcl will build under
>them?  Just curious what works and doesn't work out of the box.

I use mingw-gcc and a handful of natively compiled GNU tools (sed
etc). Tcl and Tk can be built fine. Also many extensions. However,
'configure' script are no use (no /bin/sh).

--
Pat Thoyts          http://www.zsplat.freeserve.co.uk/resume.html
To reply, rot13 the return address or read the X-Address header.

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:49:27 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

Quote:

There is no problem using MINGW. Builds unmodified once you clean up the
makefiles generated with the configure script. I posted a distro for
8.3.4 and 8.4 something or other.

I would wager that cygwin would build just fine with the makefiles from
these builds, but I did not try that yet.
--
Iain B. Findleton
http://pages.infinit.net/cclients

(514)457-0744

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:29:13 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

:I use mingw-gcc and a handful of natively compiled GNU tools (sed
:etc). Tcl and Tk can be built fine. Also many extensions. However,
:'configure' script are no use (no /bin/sh).
:

It would be really useful if those of you using cygwin could populate
a web page (perhaps at <URL: http://purl.org/tcl/wiki/> ) with info
stepping someone through the tools that one has to download and build
to get things to work.

--
"I know of vanishingly few people ... who choose to use ksh." "I'm a minority!"

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:36:09 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

| It would be really useful if those of you using cygwin could
| populate a web page (perhaps at <URL: http://purl.org/tcl/wiki/> )
| with info stepping someone through the tools that one has to
| download and build to get things to work.

As an additional info I would find it interesting to know how the
different environments handle the `exec' problem on NT.

The native windows TCL build only counts .bat .exe and .com as
executables (cf. win/tclWinFile.c), but usually any sh script in these
environments are also `executables'.

Eg., the MKS Toolkit has the .ksh extension for its ksh-implementation
(typing `command' will execute `command.ksh' via $SHELL if in PATH),
but of course TCL does not know anything about that, so I have to roll
my own `exec' which will call `sh -c' if the plain `exec' fails.

It would be interesting to know if and how this is handled in the
other environments.

R'

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:18:33 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

Quote:

> The native windows TCL build only counts .bat .exe and .com as
> executables (cf. win/tclWinFile.c), but usually any sh script in these
> environments are also `executables'.

In theory, the full list of "executable" extensions is provided by the
PATHEXT environment variable, at least under the NT family.

--
Darren New
  To the user, everything works just as expected,

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 03:00:11 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

Quote:

> > The native windows TCL build only counts .bat .exe and .com as
> > executables (cf. win/tclWinFile.c), but usually any sh script in these
> > environments are also `executables'.

Simply add .TCL as an item in the PATHEXT may set security hole.

Chang

Quote:
> In theory, the full list of "executable" extensions is provided by the
> PATHEXT environment variable, at least under the NT family.

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:34:49 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

Quote:
> Simply add .TCL as an item in the PATHEXT may set security hole.

Most of the entries in PATHEXT are security holes. ;-)

--
Darren New
  To the user, everything works just as expected,
    assuming the user's expectations are correct.

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:48:17 GMT
 Any Windows users here use one of the 'Unix-like' environments on Windows ?

:I use mingw-gcc and a handful of natively compiled GNU tools (sed
:etc). Tcl and Tk can be built fine. Also many extensions. However,
:'configure' script are no use (no /bin/sh).

I use configure with cygwin. Just copy your bash executable
to /bin and rename it sh.

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:14:31 GMT

1. Wrapping 'Windows' Windows

2. HELP:Stacking windows with a 'olwm'-windows manager

3. (UNIX) Environment variables and 'system'

4. Windows NT : One station won't work...

5. Unix style font sizes on Windows don't work

6. Windows user TCL DLL's crash when loaded in 8.2

7. Using '*'in exec command on UNIX

8. Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

9. What's difference between Windows 3.1 dans Windows 95

10. Moscow ML 1.42 for Windows NT and Windows'95

11. On Windows, don't use a maximize box if the Windows is not resizable

12. Isn't anyone using Clarion for Windows?