SpecTcl Development ?
Author Message
 SpecTcl Development ?

Now that Sun has released the source to SpecTcl to the Tcl community,
is there any group or any one working on developing or maintaining
SpecTcl? Searching with Altavista, I have seen very little mention of
it. Have people decided vtcl merits more effort? Or are most just
sticking with a text editor?

I think that SpecTcl already helps quite a bit on application
development and has potential for being a nice Tcl/Tk development
environment. Some directions that SpecTcl could be taken in are

 -- adding menu design into SpecTcl by integrating, e.g., menuedit by
    Ken Corey into SpecTcl.

 -- the ability to add composite widgets to the palette, e.g.,
    standard menu bars, tabbed preferences, etc.

 -- integration of a Tcl-aware editor, such as Emacs, with SpecTcl to
    ease the generation and maintainence of both GUI and non-GUI
    code.

 -- integration of a tcl de{*filter*} to test the application.

 -- creation of a project file to manage a multi-file, multi-window
    application.

 -- modifying the Java code generator to make way for Jacl and Tcl Blend.

 -- adding choice of packer and placer geometry managers to individual
    windows and frames.

Although some claim that the simplicity of the Tcl/Tk language renders
a GUI builder irrelevant, I disagree. Designing a good GUI requires a
good deal of experimentation with the various possible layouts and
bindings. Even for someone well-versed in Tcl/Tk, drag and drop
widgets are quicker and substantially lower the barrier to
experimentation. For those who are not as well-versed in Tcl/Tk, The
GUI-builder allows them to do what they would probably not do
otherwise and allows them to learn by reading the generated code.

What do you think?
                        -Mark

--
Mark Kvale, neurobiophysicist
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~kvale/

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SpecTcl Development ?

Quote:

>Now that Sun has released the source to SpecTcl to the Tcl community,
>is there any group or any one working on developing or maintaining
>SpecTcl?

At last summer's Tcl/Tk Workshop, John O. said that SpecTcl had not been
as much of a success as they'd hoped, and they were scaling back further
effort on it.  (Of course, many things have changed since then...)
--
Being the last man on the Moon                  |     Henry Spencer

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SpecTcl Development ?

Quote:

>Now that Sun has released the source to SpecTcl to the Tcl community,
>is there any group or any one working on developing or maintaining
>SpecTcl?

I have not heard of anyone stepping forward and picking up the mantle on
this product.

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SpecTcl Development ?

Quote:
Henry Spencer writes:
> At last summer's Tcl/Tk Workshop, John O. said that SpecTcl had not been
> as much of a success as they'd hoped, and they were scaling back further
> effort on it.  (Of course, many things have changed since then...)

This is what I had heard. They released SpecTcl 1.1 in November and it
was slated to be the last release. As I understand it, there may be
maintainence releases in the future, as time and interest permit. The
two main programmers on the project have left, however, so there will
most likely be little work done on SpecTcl at Sun. If the Tcl
community wants to keep SpecTcl current or improve it, the community
will probably need to do the job itself.

I maintain a smalll part of SpecTcl, the perl code generator that
allows SpecTcl to become specPerl, and was wondering if there were
others who were planning to hack on SpecTcl as well.

                                -Mark

--
Mark Kvale, neurobiophysicist
http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~kvale/

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. wxPython Article (in German) in new development magazin: sw-development

2. spectcl

3. SpecTcl GUI-builder version 1.2a2 (SpecRuby FYI)

4. SpecRuby tangent -- SpecTcl gets maintainer at long last.

5. using SpecTcl with Tkinter: "spectcl2py"

6. SpecTcl + Tkinter?

7. What happened to spectcl?

8. SpecTcl and/or Visual Tcl: who uses them?

9. SpecTcl on Windows with ActiveTcl

10. problem with SpecTcl?

11. SpecTcl: Seeking new maintainer

12. Tcl/Tk and SpecTcl Problem