HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL
Author Message
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL

hiii friends..

well i'am a new bee in TCL scripting. i have a doubt. i have to capture
the output of a VHDL file and store it in a text file.
say for example, i have to capture the output "Q" of the D FLIP-FLOP
and store this in a text file. How do i capture. i have to take the
inputs of the D F-F from a text file again which i can take it very
easily. But the output Q has to be captured, so can any one out here
help me. i'am in a fix..

i have used a F-F as an example. in general i have to capture the
output of any DUT.

thanks a lot
bye

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 15:25:23 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL
comon guys... help me get this..

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:58:40 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL
Quote:

> comon guys... help me get this..

Sounds like homework.

But seriously, if you do not tell us anything about the environment your
using Tcl in, no one can help you. Tcl is used in a lot of places and
software products and only some of them have to do with VHDL.

This sounds like quite fundamental stuff (never did VHDL), so you should
probably find something in the manuals for your environment.

Michael

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:16:33 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL
hi.
well, i'am working in TCL to verify designs made in VHDL. for which i
have to capture the output line of the VHDL design and store it in a
text file. storing the data on text i know but to capture the output is
way i'am stuck right now. i'am using modelsim PE.
is it enough.. or want more info

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:50:43 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL

Quote:
>  hi.
>  well, i'am working in TCL to verify designs made in VHDL. for which i
>  have to capture the output line of the VHDL design and store it in a
>  text file. storing the data on text i know but to capture the output is
>  way i'am stuck right now. i'am using modelsim PE.
>  is it enough.. or want more info

Are you invoking modelsim in Tcl with the [exec] command?  Or is
modelsim a GUI that you somehow have to automate?  Or does it have a
scriptable interface?

--
Glenn Jackman
Ulterior Designer

Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:33:57 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL

Quote:

>hiii friends..

>well i'am a new bee in TCL scripting. i have a doubt. i have to capture
>the output of a VHDL file and store it in a text file.
>say for example, i have to capture the output "Q" of the D FLIP-FLOP
>and store this in a text file. How do i capture. i have to take the
>inputs of the D F-F from a text file again which i can take it very
>easily. But the output Q has to be captured, so can any one out here
>help me. i'am in a fix..

>i have used a F-F as an example. in general i have to capture the
>output of any DUT.

>thanks a lot
>bye

Ok, so how are you getting the output?

vhdlsim dut > dut.out

Then you want to parse dut.out?

Is this a question about text-file parsing?

Can you give us some sample output and tell us which parts you want?

Mattias

Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:59:35 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL
hi well..
looks as if m getting real help out here..
ok sir, suppose i have to stimulate a vhdl file using TCL script.
in the vhdl file, i have to tap the output and then store it in a text
file.
suppose the input is 'D' and output to the DUT is 'Q'. the input is
also provided from a text file which i have completed, but i need to
capture/tap this output 'Q' using TCL. have i made this post clear. all
i need to do is tap the output line of a VHDL file.

when i use this simple command : "set a $Q"
this is what i get : "# ** Error: can't read "Q": no such variable"
as this signal "Q" is a VHDL output signal.
to give input i'am using the command force. so please help me get this
part so i can proceed with the coding.

thanks
byee

Sun, 06 Jul 2008 13:06:55 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL

Quote:

>hi well..
>looks as if m getting real help out here..
>ok sir, suppose i have to stimulate a vhdl file using TCL script.
>in the vhdl file, i have to tap the output and then store it in a text
>file.
>suppose the input is 'D' and output to the DUT is 'Q'. the input is
>also provided from a text file which i have completed, but i need to
>capture/tap this output 'Q' using TCL. have i made this post clear. all
>i need to do is tap the output line of a VHDL file.

>when i use this simple command : "set a $Q"
>this is what i get : "# ** Error: can't read "Q": no such variable"
>as this signal "Q" is a VHDL output signal.
>to give input i'am using the command force. so please help me get this
>part so i can proceed with the coding.

Ok.. So, if I understand correctly, you're running a VHDL simulator, with a
TCL scripting interface, and you just want to dump the output of a signal to
a file?

My GUESS is that Q is either named something like: ::DUT::TOP::FF:Q or
DUT.TOP.FF.Q (or maybe dut.top.ff.q).

Try:
info vars
or
info globals

and see if there's anything related to your DUT shown there..

MH

Mon, 07 Jul 2008 07:03:20 GMT
 HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL
Try

   set q [examine /MyTestBench/MyDUT/MyFF/Q]
   puts $q

This question is best sent to comp.lang.vhdl.

Steven

Quote:

> hi well..
> looks as if m getting real help out here..
> ok sir, suppose i have to stimulate a vhdl file using TCL script.
> in the vhdl file, i have to tap the output and then store it in a text
> file.
> suppose the input is 'D' and output to the DUT is 'Q'. the input is
> also provided from a text file which i have completed, but i need to
> capture/tap this output 'Q' using TCL. have i made this post clear. all
> i need to do is tap the output line of a VHDL file.

> when i use this simple command : "set a $Q"
> this is what i get : "# ** Error: can't read "Q": no such variable"
> as this signal "Q" is a VHDL output signal.
> to give input i'am using the command force. so please help me get this
> part so i can proceed with the coding.

> thanks
> byee

Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:06:17 GMT

1. capturing output of expect send from a tcl script

2. How do I execute a shell command and capture the standard output

3. Capture of cmd output in ESA

4. capturing the output from a called program

5. Capturing Printer OutPut to a printer Port

6. capture printer output without novell.

7. Capture Output from Clipper/Rtlink

8. Capturing graphical output?

9. Capturing output from Command

10. Capturing full screen output

11. Window Command Output Capture

12. Capturing Trace output ( OS/2 REXX )