Bug with interpreter names on multiple screens in Tk (8.0 and earlier)
Author Message
 Bug with interpreter names on multiple screens in Tk (8.0 and earlier)

Starting situation: I have a wish running on screen A (say, foo:0.0)
and another wish running on screen B (say, bar:0.0) and they both have
the same application name (that can happen very easily)

Problem 1: I get the wish on A to connect to B so that I can use send
to communicate between the two.  Now I can successfully use send to
let wishA pass commands to wishB and get the results back, but I
cannot use send to let wishB talk to wishA, as wishA has not completed
the registration of itself on B.

Problem 2: After doing the above, I decide that the problem is that
the two wishes have matching interpreter names.  To fix this, I
perform a [tk appname someUniqueApplicationName] command in wishA, but
this only has an effect on screen A.  Nothing happens at all on screen
B (it doesn't try to reregister itself).

Problem 3: Now, after killing off both wishA and wishB, I start a wish
running on A and connect to B (using [toplevel .t -screen bar:0.0]).
Then I issue a [winfo interps -displayof .t], but this returns an
empty list, indicating that there are no (send-able) interpreters
running on that screen, despite the fact that I'm using an
appropriately enabled wish to probe this information!

My X sessions are secure.  I'm running 8.0 final on SunOs 4.1.4 (but
I've noticed this on previous versions as well) and this makes
inter-application drag-and-drop in multi-screen environments
impossible (amongst other things).  Transcript of session in wishA
included below (I didn't type anything into wishB)

    foo:fellowsd $ wish8.0
[ and the same to create wishB running on bar:0.0 ]
    % toplevel .t -screen bar:0
    .t
    % winfo interps
    wish8.0
    % winfo interps -displayof .t
    wish8.0
    % send -displayof .t wish8.0 . conf -bg white
[ wishB's window goes white here ]
    % send -displayof .t wish8.0 winfo interps
    wish8.0
    % tk appname foo
    foo
    % winfo interps
    foo
    % winfo interps -displayof .t
    wish8.0
    % send -displayof .t wish8.0 winfo children .
    % exit
[ now I killed off wishB as well ]
    foo:fellowsd $ wish8.0
    % toplevel .t -screen bar:0
    .t
    % winfo interps -displayof .t
    % winfo interps
    wish8.0
    % exit

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows   http://www.*-*-*.com/ :8000/  (SAY NO TO COMMERCIAL SPAMS!)

   The at symbol in my email address may have been shifted one word right
     to deter spam-bots.  Sorry for any inconvenience this causes you.

Sun, 13 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Bug Found in Tcl 8.0/Tk 8.0

2. Sharing a name space among multiple interpreters

3. Tkinter diffs for images in multiple Tk interpreters

4. Bug: Tk 8.0 infinite loop in pack/grid combo

5. Tcl/Tk 8.0 Oddities (Bugs ?)

6. Bug in tcl/tk/tix 8.0

7. Tk 8.0/8.0p1 Menu Bug on Macintosh

8. Simple IO Bug in Tk 8.0 on Win NT4