Good WEB tutorial or book recommendation.
Author Message
 Good WEB tutorial or book recommendation.

Other than the "sign up" tutorials on scriptics, can
anyone recommend a good web tutorial for tcl/tk?

How about a good (up-to-date) book/tutorial?

Thanks.

--
J. Mark Brooks

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jmbrooks

*                                         *
* "God works wonders now and then:        *
*  Behold, a lawyer, and an honest man."  *
*  --Benjamin Franklin                    *
*                                         *

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Good WEB tutorial or book recommendation.

Quote:
>Other than the "sign up" tutorials on scriptics, can
>anyone recommend a good web tutorial for tcl/tk?

                        .
                        .
                        .
<URL:http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/tcl_tutorials.html>
grows weekly.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Good WEB tutorial or book recommendation.

Quote:

> Other than the "sign up" tutorials on scriptics, can
> anyone recommend a good web tutorial for tcl/tk?

> How about a good (up-to-date) book/tutorial?

O'Reilly and Associates has a good book on CGI programming in general
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cgi/).  I understand that  "Developers
Resource, Web
Programming in Tcl and Perl" (Prentice Hall, 1997) is also a pretty good
reference
for CGI with TCL, but I have not read it myself.  I used to use
the cgi.tcl library for CGI scripting.  It was very good then and I
think it should have
improved even more in the last year and a half. You can find it at
http://expect.nist.gov/cgi.tcl/.
The documentation was pretty good too.

The current trend in the industry is toward scripting languages that are
embedded
in the web server.  These in-process mechanisms don't incur the overhead
of
starting a new process so they run faster.  This is important on high
volume sites.
I don't know of any books that deal with TCL in this mode.  I understand

AOL and tclhttpd both have the ability to use Tcl in this mode.  I am
pretty
sure that there is a module available for Apache that gives it this
capability.
Velocity Engine (http://www.binevolve.com/) adds this capability
to MS-IIS and Apache, but it is not free.  As for books or resources,
the
documentation that comes with the products is probably all that there
is.

Oracle DBA                        602 West University
Carle Clinic Association        Urbana, IL 61801

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Good WEB tutorial or book recommendation.

Quote:

> O'Reilly and Associates has a good book on CGI programming in general
> (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cgi/).  I understand that  "Developers
> Resource, Web
> Programming in Tcl and Perl" (Prentice Hall, 1997) is also a pretty good
> reference
> for CGI with TCL, but I have not read it myself.

I have read it, but then again, I had no choice, I wrote it. :-)

The book doesn't teach Tcl, but is uses both Tcl and Perl to teach about CGI
development. The key passage states that it isn't about languages, but it's about
understanding client-server programming and the browser as an interface.

It's availabale at better bookstores everywhere (if you ask them to order it) or
you can get it from amazon.com and increase my number on the bookshelf. :-)

jmi

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Good WEB tutorial or book recommendation.

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>The current trend in the industry is toward scripting languages that are
>embedded
>in the web server.  These in-process mechanisms don't incur the overhead
>of
>starting a new process so they run faster.  This is important on high
>volume sites.
>I don't know of any books that deal with TCL in this mode.  I understand

Philip Greenspun touches on--that is, he writes incisi-
vely about it, though with a minimum of the technical
goo we generally like in comp.lang.tcl--this in his new
book <URL://http:photo.net/wtr/thebook/index.html>.
Quote:

>AOL and tclhttpd both have the ability to use Tcl in this mode.  I am
>pretty
>sure that there is a module available for Apache that gives it this
>capability.
>Velocity Engine (http://www.binevolve.com/) adds this capability
>to MS-IIS and Apache, but it is not free.  As for books or resources,

See also <URL:http://
starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/server_side_tcl.html>.
                        .
                        .
                        .
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Recommendation of tutorials, books and tools

2. Any recommendations about a good Ada book?

3. Good recommendation for book on assembly language linux and windows

4. Recommendation for best Fortran book needed!

5. (FAQ?) Need recommendation for good Fortran intro book

6. Where can i find the best tutorial on VHDL (on the web)

7. Making use of your work [Was: Re: Web Tcl books/tutorials

8. Web Tcl books/tutorials

9. Good ST book and/or tutorials

10. Good Logo Tutorial/Reference Book

11. Search a good german Oberon Tutorial/Book

12. Finding a good Verilog tutorial book.