PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK
Author Message
 PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK

I'm working on a tk/tcl script to provide a front end for PGP 5.0 in
Linux.  FWIW, I'm running Red Hat 5.2.

I've come upon a major hitch.  While I can pass the passphrase to the
encoding program (pgpe) using the environment variable PGPPASSFD, I
cannot get the decoding program (pgpv) to pull the passphrase from the
environment.  Pgpv simply pauses and waits for keyboard input.

What gives?  If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them

Cheers,

Andreas

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK

Quote:

> I'm working on a tk/tcl script to provide a front end for PGP 5.0 in
> Linux.  FWIW, I'm running Red Hat 5.2.

> I've come upon a major hitch.  While I can pass the passphrase to the
> encoding program (pgpe) using the environment variable PGPPASSFD, I
> cannot get the decoding program (pgpv) to pull the passphrase from the
> environment.  Pgpv simply pauses and waits for keyboard input.

> What gives?  If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them

I normally set the env. var. PGPPASS (for command line use).  Just tested, both
pgpe and pgpv work w/o user input, except for overwrite confirmation.

Steve McAndrewSmith                             Drummer / Hacker / Minor Deity
The most terrible thing about death is that a life-time's reading is laid
to waste.

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK

Quote:

> I'm working on a tk/tcl script to provide a front end for PGP 5.0 in
> Linux.  FWIW, I'm running Red Hat 5.2.

> I've come upon a major hitch.  While I can pass the passphrase to the
> encoding program (pgpe) using the environment variable PGPPASSFD, I
> cannot get the decoding program (pgpv) to pull the passphrase from the
> environment.  Pgpv simply pauses and waits for keyboard input.

> What gives?  If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them

Did you try Expect ? It is a tcl extension written with the goal of
automating applications who want to have a real user.

As a side note: Do you know GnuPG ? [*] I have not tried it yet, but
maybe it is more friendly to your demands (Passphrase passing to
commandline tools).

I am interested in hearing about your success and/or problems as I am
thinking about a signing my extensions.

[*] GNU Privacy Guard, GPL'd implementation of the OpenPGP standards,
    PGP 5 compatible. See
        http://www.gnupg.org/
        http://www.d.shuttle.de/isil/gnupg/

--
Sincerely,

                        <http://www.westend.com/~kupries/>

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK
Anyone done tcl-ssleay yet?

--
    Mike Gahan
    Education and Information Support Division

    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaamrg/

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK
Yes, it's been done.

  SSLtcl can be found at

  ftp://ftp.mc.hik.se/pub/users/mia95anp/ssl/SSLtcl-0.42.tar.gz

  http://www.abc.se/~m9339/prog/ssl/SSLtcl-0.42.tar.gz

Dave LeBlanc

Quote:
>Anyone done tcl-ssleay yet?

>--
>    Mike Gahan
>    Education and Information Support Division
>    University College London

>    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaamrg/

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PGP 5.0 and TCL/TK

Quote:

> Yes, it's been done.

>   SSLtcl can be found at

>   ftp://ftp.mc.hik.se/pub/users/mia95anp/ssl/SSLtcl-0.42.tar.gz

>   http://www.abc.se/~m9339/prog/ssl/SSLtcl-0.42.tar.gz

I  know of someone made who made this work under windows. he has not
gotten
around to the details of donating the work back  if  there is interest,
let me know..

-mike

Quote:

> Dave LeBlanc

> >Anyone done tcl-ssleay yet?

> >--
> >    Mike Gahan
> >    Education and Information Support Division
> >    University College London

> >    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaamrg/

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. tcl/tk as a front end for PGP ?

2. tcl/tk PGP interface

3. TCL/TK - Port to pgp

4. Clarion calling PGP 6.5 or PGP 8.0

5. Compiling Tcl/Tk with Borland C++ 5.0

6. Compiling tcl/tk with VC++ 5.0 on Win98

7. Compiling tcl/tk using Visual C++ 5.0

8. TCL/TK 8.0b1 under Visual C++ 5.0 problem

9. PGP related tcl extensions?

10. Running a Tcl/Tk applet within a Tcl/Tk program

11. converting Java app to Tcl/Tk ( new thread for all the tcl/tk itcl gurus)

12. Tcl/Tk 8.2.3 and Tcl/Tk 8.3.0 under windows