Tcl83.lib link problem
Author Message
 Tcl83.lib link problem

I have a DLL that my Tcl script do a load on. When I link my DLL and specify tcl83.lib as a link argument, I thought that I wasn't gonna need any other tcl lib or dll, except my DLL of course, to be able to run the program on a machine without Tcl installed.

But, when I run the program, I get a error message that says that the program can't find my DLL. I have the DLL in the same directory as the program. So, I check the manual and it says that it may be so that some other lib is missing. I then run dumpbin on my DLL and dumpbin tells me that it will need tcl83.dll. I copy over tcl83.dll from my development machine to my test machine, and then it works.

Now, why do I need the tcl83.dll to be able to run the script ? Shouldn't it be enough to include tcl83.lib in my link-operation ?
I do the same thing with BerkeleyDB lib. I include its lib in my link, and I don't need anything from Berkeley to run the program. It's all linked in my DLL.

Isn't tcl83.lib a static lib ? What have I missed ?

I use Visual Studio V6

Thanx in advance

/ZoombyWoof

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:26:52 GMT
 Tcl83.lib link problem

Quote:
> Now, why do I need the tcl83.dll to be able to run the script ? Shouldn't it be enough to include tcl83.lib in my link-operation ?
> I do the same thing with BerkeleyDB lib. I include its lib in my link, and I don't need anything from Berkeley to run the program. It's all linked in my DLL.

> Isn't tcl83.lib a static lib ? What have I missed ?

> I use Visual Studio V6

Yes, you definitely need tcl83.dll and - depending what you are doing -
also tk83.dll as well as some tcl scripts which you can find in the lib
folder. AFAIK it is vital that 'init.tcl' is accessable.
Freewrap uses a mechanism to incorporate these scripts files (and the
DLL's (?)).

-sacha

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 23:51:56 GMT
 Tcl83.lib link problem

Quote:

>Isn't tcl83.lib a static lib ?

Yes, that's the question.  tcl83.lib is an import library.  tcl83s.lib is
the static one.  makefile.vc from 8.3 won't build a static, but the TEA
makefile will.  8.4 has a makefile.vc that will build a static, though.
You can also get a static from TclPro, I think.  I think its in there...
not sure.
--

[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway,alpha sector]
Please be aware of the 7.5 year ping times when placing a call from alpha centari

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:14:58 GMT
 Tcl83.lib link problem
On Tue, 21 May 2002 18:14:58 GMT

Quote:

> >Isn't tcl83.lib a static lib ?

> Yes, that's the question.  tcl83.lib is an import library.  tcl83s.lib is
> the static one.  makefile.vc from 8.3 won't build a static, but the TEA
> makefile will.  8.4 has a makefile.vc that will build a static, though.
> You can also get a static from TclPro, I think.  I think its in there...
> not sure.
> --

> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway,alpha sector]
> Please be aware of the 7.5 year ping times when placing a call from alpha centari

Ok. Thanx for the info. Heading off searching for the tcl83s.lib static lib.... :-)

/ZW

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 06:20:46 GMT

1. Static vs Shared: Linking tcl83s.lib vs tcl83.lib

2. Linking sqldedev.lib, desktopenginedeploy.lib to my app: unsupported recordtype 21

3. Statically Linking tcl.lib and tk.lib into a standalone .exe file

4. Long File Names - problem linking dblfn.lib

5. Link Problems with ext.LIB (CW4/CW5EE)

6. strange Link problem (win32.lib)

7. problems linking .LIB

8. Asm and Windows ----Linking lib GP fault problem----

9. Alsys linking with metaware C and DVX socket lib problems

10. PROBLEM: MS FPS - ERROR - OLE32.LIB, KERNEL.LIB not found - sometimes

11. how to statically link against tcl84.lib, tk84.lib, tclx84.lib?

12. Errors trying to link in .obj or .lib from Visual C++