Text widget --screen lines vs. text lines
Author Message
 Text widget --screen lines vs. text lines

The neverending story of screen lines and text lines in text widgets
continues... Since scrolling (and "scanning") is done in terms of text
lines, it is impossible to view the last portion of a paragraph (a
contiguous sequence of characters without a line delimiter), if that
paragraph should occupy more screen lines than the widget is able to
display at a time.

I can see that doing everything in terms of screen lines requires a
little bit more work, but it would be nice to have it, wouldn't it?

--Juergen

Fri, 25 Aug 1995 20:15:31 GMT
 Text widget --screen lines vs. text lines
|> The neverending story of screen lines and text lines in text widgets
|> continues... Since scrolling (and "scanning") is done in terms of text
|> lines, it is impossible to view the last portion of a paragraph (a
|> contiguous sequence of characters without a line delimiter), if that
|> paragraph should occupy more screen lines than the widget is able to
|> display at a time.
|>
|> I can see that doing everything in terms of screen lines requires a
|> little bit more work, but it would be nice to have it, wouldn't it?
|>
|> --Juergen

Yep.  It's on my list of things to do.  When I first implemented text
I didn't foresee people having text lines that were actually paragraphs
and spanned many (e.g. >> 2) screen lines.

Sat, 26 Aug 1995 01:32:18 GMT
 Text widget --screen lines vs. text lines

Quote:

>...  When I first implemented text
>I didn't foresee people having text lines that were actually paragraphs
>and spanned many (e.g. >> 2) screen lines.

Many word processing programs use this style, in which the newline
character indicates a paragraph break and the word processing program is
expected to do the filling and justification: with the increasing
popularity of tools like FrameMaker, you're seeing more of this on Unix as
well.  We're seeing increasing culture clashes as people with that kind of
background post their articles to Usenet, but it is a reasonable thing to
do, I think, so it should be handled.

--

Sat, 26 Aug 1995 03:19:55 GMT

1. text widget, how to get line number of first line displayed

2. Computing # of screen lines in text widget

3. Some questions on elided text in the text widget (and a few other text widget questions)

4. 33 Lines Text Screen Mode

5. Screen copied text onto command line means nothing

6. how to read text files line by line?

7. Read a text file line by line

8. How do I read lines of Text from Text File and add them to Array

9. Line Enumeration in the Text Widget

10. Text-widget line-editing with correct Up-Down?

11. Beginning of lines in text widget

12. Configure lines in text widget