Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book
Author Message
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

My company is installing a new software package using TCL/TK 8.3.1
and have asked me to install / test / modify ....
There is one problem , I don't know it (at all) with the exception of my
brief exposure to it when I studied "Mastering Regular Expressions" chapters
3 and 6.

Anyway , I guess my problem is twofold because I'm not a programmer by
title (yet;) and my only real exposure to programming ( aside from it being
my favorite hobby ever) is writing regex programs in Perl5 for various
Departments in my company. I becoming known as the satellite guy who likes
hacking up big ugly UNIX text files.

MRE is my all time favorite book and I was particularly intrigued by Jeffrey
Friedl's depiction of Tcl.  In my  opinion , the author had nothing but
good things to say about Tcl's simplistic approach to regexes.  In fact in
Chapter 7 'Final  Comments' (about Perl5)  he actually praised Tcl at Perl's
(and Python's) expense, so I am really  anxious about this assignment
(ie , no Fear is here:) . and the new opportunity to study this language.

I run LInux at home , and on my desktop PC at work ( at first - without
permission  - of course;-) , and my workstation is Solaris 2.7 so I'll need a
UNIX flavor tutorial (if it even matters)

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

Quote:

> My company is installing a new software package using TCL/TK 8.3.1
> and have asked me to install / test / modify ....
> There is one problem , I don't know it (at all) with the exception of my
> brief exposure to it when I studied "Mastering Regular Expressions" chapters
> 3 and 6.

> Anyway , I guess my problem is twofold because I'm not a programmer by
> title (yet;) and my only real exposure to programming ( aside from it being
> my favorite hobby ever) is writing regex programs in Perl5 for various
> Departments in my company. I becoming known as the satellite guy who likes
> hacking up big ugly UNIX text files.

> MRE is my all time favorite book and I was particularly intrigued by Jeffrey
> Friedl's depiction of Tcl.  In my  opinion , the author had nothing but
> good things to say about Tcl's simplistic approach to regexes.  In fact in
> Chapter 7 'Final  Comments' (about Perl5)  he actually praised Tcl at Perl's
> (and Python's) expense, so I am really  anxious about this assignment
> (ie , no Fear is here:) . and the new opportunity to study this language.

> I run LInux at home , and on my desktop PC at work ( at first - without
> permission  - of course;-) , and my workstation is Solaris 2.7 so I'll need a
> UNIX flavor tutorial (if it even matters)

I would suggest Brent Welchs "Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk" Third edition.
It covers everything up through tcl 8.2 and is a good book (it is what I learned
from) to read, and will continue to be useful as a desktop reference after you
have already become more comfortable with the language.

at http://dev.scriptics.com under "Documentation" there is a list of books and
tutorials.

Also, follow the "Manual Pages" link.  If you click on the HTML link next to
tcl/tk 8.3.1 you will find the reference pages for all of the tcl/tk commands.

These are the same as the man pages that come with the installation, but if you
don't know what command you are looking for, usually this can be a good place
to start.

Also, the newgroup (comp.lang.tcl) which you have already found is a great resource.
Lots of good people here.

--Dan

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

Quote:

> My company is installing a new software package using TCL/TK 8.3.1
> and have asked me to install / test / modify ....
> There is one problem , I don't know it (at all) with the exception of my
> brief exposure to it when I studied "Mastering Regular Expressions" chapters
> 3 and 6.

> Anyway , I guess my problem is twofold because I'm not a programmer by
> title (yet;) and my only real exposure to programming ( aside from it being
> my favorite hobby ever) is writing regex programs in Perl5 for various
> Departments in my company. I becoming known as the satellite guy who likes
> hacking up big ugly UNIX text files.

> MRE is my all time favorite book and I was particularly intrigued by Jeffrey
> Friedl's depiction of Tcl.  In my  opinion , the author had nothing but
> good things to say about Tcl's simplistic approach to regexes.  In fact in
> Chapter 7 'Final  Comments' (about Perl5)  he actually praised Tcl at Perl's
> (and Python's) expense, so I am really  anxious about this assignment
> (ie , no Fear is here:) . and the new opportunity to study this language.

> I run LInux at home , and on my desktop PC at work ( at first - without
> permission  - of course;-) , and my workstation is Solaris 2.7 so I'll need a
> UNIX flavor tutorial (if it even matters)

I would suggest Brent Welchs "Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk" Third edition.
It covers everything up through tcl 8.2 and is a good book (it is what I learned
from) to read, and will continue to be useful as a desktop reference after you
have already become more comfortable with the language.

at http://dev.scriptics.com under "Documentation" there is a list of books and
tutorials.

Also, follow the "Manual Pages" link.  If you click on the HTML link next to
tcl/tk 8.3.1 you will find the reference pages for all of the tcl/tk commands.

These are the same as the man pages that come with the installation, but if you
don't know what command you are looking for, usually this can be a good place
to start.

Also, the newgroup (comp.lang.tcl) which you have already found is a great resource.
Lots of good people here.

--Dan

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book
Hello Jeff.

I have found that this tutorial works well:

    http://www.msen.com/~clif/TclTutor.html

My wife is using it to learn Tcl for a project of hers.  She's a
schoolteacher with no programming background.  She finds it interesting and
fun!  (I married well.)

If your are a more structured kind of person (are there any structured Perl
programmers?) I saw a packaged Tcl/Tk tutorial on sale in the bookstore.
Here's the URL:

    http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0130807567.html

This is a multimedia thing by Brent Welch (all hail!) not a book.

        Hope this helps.

                Rick

Quote:
> My company is installing a new software package using TCL/TK 8.3.1
> and have asked me to install / test / modify ....
> There is one problem , I don't know it (at all) with the exception of my
> brief exposure to it when I studied "Mastering Regular Expressions"
chapters
> 3 and 6.

> Anyway , I guess my problem is twofold because I'm not a programmer by
> title (yet;) and my only real exposure to programming ( aside from it
being
> my favorite hobby ever) is writing regex programs in Perl5 for various
> Departments in my company. I becoming known as the satellite guy who likes
> hacking up big ugly UNIX text files.

> MRE is my all time favorite book and I was particularly intrigued by
Jeffrey
> Friedl's depiction of Tcl.  In my  opinion , the author had nothing but
> good things to say about Tcl's simplistic approach to regexes.  In fact in
> Chapter 7 'Final  Comments' (about Perl5)  he actually praised Tcl at
Perl's
> (and Python's) expense, so I am really  anxious about this assignment
> (ie , no Fear is here:) . and the new opportunity to study this language.

> I run LInux at home , and on my desktop PC at work ( at first - without
> permission  - of course;-) , and my workstation is Solaris 2.7 so I'll
need a
> UNIX flavor tutorial (if it even matters)

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

:This is a multimedia thing by Brent Welch (all hail!) not a book.

Make sure that if you are buying one of Brent's books you get the 3rd edition
- this one covers Tcl 8.3.x ...

--

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

Quote:

> :This is a multimedia thing by Brent Welch (all hail!) not a book.

> Make sure that if you are buying one of Brent's books you get the 3rd edition
> - this one covers Tcl 8.3.x ...

Actually, it covers Tcl/Tk 8.2.x not Tcl/Tk 8.3.x

--Dan

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

Quote:

> :Actually, it covers Tcl/Tk 8.2.x not Tcl/Tk 8.3.x

> <blush>

> I apologize.  I forgot the time frame of the book.  So, do any of the books
> cover 8.3.x?

Not that I am aware of, but a book that covers up to 8.2 is pretty
good.  When you start from a release that is fairly close, and couple
that with the documentation (which is usually pretty good) you can find
what you are looking for.

--Dan

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

:Actually, it covers Tcl/Tk 8.2.x not Tcl/Tk 8.3.x

<blush>

I apologize.  I forgot the time frame of the book.  So, do any of the books
cover 8.3.x?

--

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

> > My company is installing a new software package using TCL/TK 8.3.1
> > and have asked me to install / test / modify ....
> > There is one problem , I don't know it (at all) with the exception of my
> > brief exposure to it when I studied "Mastering Regular Expressions" chapters
> > 3 and 6.

> > Anyway , I guess my problem is twofold because I'm not a programmer by
> > title (yet;) and my only real exposure to programming ( aside from it being
> > my favorite hobby ever) is writing regex programs in Perl5 for various
> > Departments in my company. I becoming known as the satellite guy who likes
> > hacking up big ugly UNIX text files.

> > MRE is my all time favorite book and I was particularly intrigued by Jeffrey
> > Friedl's depiction of Tcl.  In my  opinion , the author had nothing but
> > good things to say about Tcl's simplistic approach to regexes.  In fact in
> > Chapter 7 'Final  Comments' (about Perl5)  he actually praised Tcl at Perl's
> > (and Python's) expense, so I am really  anxious about this assignment
> > (ie , no Fear is here:) . and the new opportunity to study this language.

> > I run LInux at home , and on my desktop PC at work ( at first - without
> > permission  - of course;-) , and my workstation is Solaris 2.7 so I'll need a
> > UNIX flavor tutorial (if it even matters)

> I would suggest Brent Welchs "Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk" Third edition.
> It covers everything up through tcl 8.2 and is a good book (it is what I learned
> from) to read, and will continue to be useful as a desktop reference after you
> have already become more comfortable with the language.

> at http://dev.scriptics.com under "Documentation" there is a list of books and
> tutorials.

> Also, follow the "Manual Pages" link.  If you click on the HTML link next to
> tcl/tk 8.3.1 you will find the reference pages for all of the tcl/tk commands.

> These are the same as the man pages that come with the installation, but if you
> don't know what command you are looking for, usually this can be a good place
> to start.

> Also, the newgroup (comp.lang.tcl) which you have already found is a great resource.
> Lots of good people here.

> --Dan

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie needs a Tcl/Tk starting point.

2. Tcl/Tk Quick start

3. Quick-start Tcl/Tk training?

4. Newbie: Tcl/Tk - How do I start?

5. Need tcl/tk tutorial

6. TCL/Tk Widget programming tutorial needed

7. ECAD SW start-up near Boston needs tcl/tk GUI Eng, UNIX

8. Database application development - where to start., books, tutorials, etc

9. I need pointers for a quick start

10. TCL/TK newbie - Need coding info.

11. Newbie Got Problem and Need help quick.

12. PB32 Tutorial Books/Documentation needed