problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4
Author Message
 problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on
Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem, I add the
"#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from
" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;. After that, this program can be complied.
But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit
failed: window name "" already exists in parent".
Could anyone kindly tell me whether this error is caused by the version
problem or not? However other people install it on RedHat9 without such
a problem (RedHat9 has tcl8.3). If this error is not caused by the
version problem, is there any other cause? Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:41:37 GMT
 problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

Quote:

> I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on
> Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem, I add the
> "#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from
> "http://wiki.tcl.tk/3669". After that, this program can be complied.
> But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit
> failed: window name "" already exists in parent".
> Could anyone kindly tell me whether this error is caused by the version
> problem or not? However other people install it on RedHat9 without such
> a problem (RedHat9 has tcl8.3). If this error is not caused by the
> version problem, is there any other cause? Any help is welcome. Thanks.

No direct solution, but a workaround:
You can compile and install Tcl8.3 separately (to /usr/local/ or
whatever --prefix you like) and compile & run the program against this
version. In the end, you are not stuck to the Tcl version that comes
with your distribution - I always keep my own compiled Tcl/Tk versions
on Ubuntu and don't use the default at all...

Eckhard

Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:24:38 GMT
 problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

Quote:

> I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on
> Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem,

Um, the "const problem" only shows up if you recompile, right?
Why are you doing that?  libtcl8.4.so is certainly stub-compatible
with libtcl8.3.so and binary compatible to a large degree, I think.
What problem do you have that prompts you to attempt a recompile?

Quote:
> I add the
> "#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from
> "http://wiki.tcl.tk/3669". After that, this program can be complied.
> But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit
> failed: window name "" already exists in parent".

That doesn't sound const-related.  Does ::errorInfo tell you anything
more useful about what command or routine call fails with that error
message?

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |

| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:36:41 GMT
 problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4
Thank both of you for your replying.

For Don Porter:
However, there is no any warning / error message when I recompile the
program after "USE_NON_CONST" is defined. And there is only one error
message when I run the program as mentioned above. It is so strange.

For Eckhard Lehmann:
I also tried to install tcl/tk8.3 on Fedora5. But it did not
successful. Because:
(1) tcl/tk8.3 need use some package of XFree86;
(2) XFree86 conflict with xorg which is currently used by Fedora5;
I also tried to uninstall xorg and install XFree86, but it finally
caused the system crash. Could you give me your experience of how to
install tcl/tk8.3?

Thanks.

Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:00:02 GMT
 problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4
Thank both of you for your replying.

For Don Porter:
However, there is no any warning / error message when I recompile the
program after "USE_NON_CONST" is defined. And there is only one error
message when I run the program as mentioned above. It is so strange.

For Eckhard Lehmann:
I also tried to install tcl/tk8.3 on Fedora5. But it did not
successful. Because:
(1) tcl/tk8.3 need use some package of XFree86;
(2) XFree86 conflict with xorg which is currently used by Fedora5;
I tried to uninstall xorg and install XFree86, and finally cause the
system crash. Could you give me your experience of how to install
tcl/tk8.3?

Thanks.

Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:00:37 GMT
 problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4
Thanks. I finished my work finally. Thanks your reply. Before I
installed the tcl/tk 8.3 by using their rpm package. Today,  thanks the
advice, I installed it by using their source code. Now the problem is
solved.

Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:24:41 GMT

1. Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

2. CONST Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

3. Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4

4. Tcl 8.4 more DOSsy than 8.3 ?

5. trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

6. glob difference between 8.3 and 8.4

7. Tk 8.3 -> 8.4, surprisingly slow text widget

8. cross-version voodoo: handling 8.3 / 8.4 private structure changes

9. 8.4 vs 8.3

10. TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

11. Connect() problem-broadcast socket -w- tcludp,tcl 8.3, FreeBSD 4.9

12. problem of upgrading tcl/tk from 8.0 to 8.3