parent-child's child process interaction
Author Message
 parent-child's child process interaction

Hi,
I have a scenario wherein a Tcl script uses on "open" command to
invoke a child process. I get the pid of this  child. Now this child
of mine decides to invoke another child of it's own and dies off
itself. I do not have control over this first child process..it is an
executable. Now is there any way to establish a command pipeline to
the dead child's child? I think I may be able to get the pid of the
child's child through tlist(although that is not a very clean way of
doing things).

regards,
nachiket.
P.s. this child is modelsim and the child's child is vsim. (if it
helps)

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:54:39 GMT
 parent-child's child process interaction

Quote:

> I have a scenario wherein a Tcl script uses on "open" command to
> invoke a child process. I get the pid of this  child. Now this child
> of mine decides to invoke another child of it's own and dies off
> itself. I do not have control over this first child process..it is an
> executable. Now is there any way to establish a command pipeline to
> the dead child's child? I think I may be able to get the pid of the

Not if you really don't have control of the middle process.  This
is a standard unix problem.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:23:33 GMT

1. Child process on crashing kills it parent process

2. How to Process Child Records Before the Parent is deleted -- ABC

3. inconsistency in shared state between parent/child processes

4. Method to pass data from a child to a parent process

5. Detecting finish of parent process from child

6. parent loses sync with child process

7. Copying grand parent, parent, and child records

8. CW4 Writing to a parent file from child file's update form

9. ipadx of a parent with -side left of it's child

10. How to disable spawnv's child process output messages

11. Obtain list of children process ID's

12. TCL/Tk script as child process of NT's cmd