A simple OpenGL 3D modeling extension for Tcl/Tk
Author Message
 A simple OpenGL 3D modeling extension for Tcl/Tk

TkSM 1.2 is now available.  TkSM is a simple OpenGL-based 3D modeling
extension for Tcl7.4/Tk4.0 (p3) and Tcl7.5/Tk4.1 (b3).  This primarily a
maintenance release.  This version fixes many bugs in the vrml parser, and
provides a mechanism for more precise control over viewport refresh rates that
may be useful in animation-oriented applications.

For more information, please see the introduction below and visit the web
page at

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ihsu/tksm.html

-Irving Hsu

BTW:
I've been extremely busy the past month, and I know I've forgotten to
respond to several emails related to TkSM.  If you're one of the people that
I've failed to respond to I apologize, and please email me again if necessary
since I don't have your emails anymore.

--

                                TkSM v1.2

                     Copyright (c) 1995-1996 Irving Hsu

Introduction
============
TkSM is an OpenGL based 3D modeling extension for Tcl/Tk.  My goal in writing
TkSM is to provide a simple and relatively light-weight tool for displaying
polygon-based 3D models from within Tcl/Tk applications.  TkSM allows a user
to define hierarchical models, place groups of models into individual cells,
and associate each cell with one or more independent viewports through which
the models may be viewed and manipulated.

Two types of viewports are available: viewport widgets, and canvas viewport
items.  While canvas viewport items are generally slower in terms of rendering
speed (due to their use of off-screen pixmaps), they give the user the ability
to super-impose text and other canvas elements on top of rendered images, and
offer faster screen refreshes of static scenes.  On the other hand, viewport
widgets draw directly into OpenGL windows and will therefore render much faster
on systems with hardware OpenGL acceleration.

TkSM provides no direct access to OpenGL routines; if you are looking for an
OpenGL widget with binding for each OpenGL routine, or a 3D graphics widget
with control over the low level rendering details, TkSM may not be for you.
However, if you are interested in adding elementary 3D viewing/modeling
capabilities to your Tcl/Tk application, you may find TkSM to be of use.

Currently TkSM has native support for VRML only; a 3DMF parser is in the plans,
but probably won't materialize anytime soon.

--

  The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.aud.alcatel.com/tcl/]]

Sun, 13 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. An OpenGL based 3D modeling extension for Tcl/Tk

2. TkSM 1.3 - An OpenGL based 3D modeling extension

3. TkSM1.1 - an OpenGL-based 3D modeling extension

4. TkSM 1.0b - A simple OpenGL based modeling extension

5. 3D simulation with TCL/TK, and OpenGL?

6. 3D-Extension for Tcl/Tk

7. theObjects-2.3 -- a simple object-oriented extension for Tcl/Tk

8. Need 3D modeling/rendering code for simple objects

9. Tk extension to OpenGl

10. Is there an OpenGL extension to Tk?

11. a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed