puts/gets to sockets?
Author Message
 puts/gets to sockets?

Are there any problems in using puts and gets with sockets opened
by dp_connect.  In particular, are there any shared buffers between
input and output that might be trashed by race conditions between reading
and writing?

Sat, 06 Sep 1997 07:22:19 GMT
 puts/gets to sockets?

|> Are there any problems in using puts and gets with sockets opened
|> by dp_connect.  In particular, are there any shared buffers between
|> input and output that might be trashed by race conditions between reading
|> and writing?

Not that I know of, unless the underlying TCP implementation has something
wrong (could happen in Solaris, for example :-).  The only "gotcha"
is you have to make sure you use the same protocol on a socket.  For
example, don't use gets/puts and dp_RPC over the same connection -- open
two connections.

-------

Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853    phone: (607)255-1180
Computer Science Department

Sat, 13 Sep 1997 05:11:02 GMT
 puts/gets to sockets?

Quote:

>|> Are there any problems in using puts and gets with sockets opened
>|> by dp_connect.  In particular, are there any shared buffers between
>|> input and output that might be trashed by race conditions between reading
>|> and writing?

>Not that I know of, unless the underlying TCP implementation has something
>wrong (could happen in Solaris, for example :-).  The only "gotcha"
>is you have to make sure you use the same protocol on a socket.  For
>example, don't use gets/puts and dp_RPC over the same connection -- open
>two connections.

>-------

>Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853    phone: (607)255-1180
>Computer Science Department

Sun, 28 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting awk (or sed or anything else) to put single quotes into file

2. Putting or Getting multiple files with RxFtp

3. puts and gets over IP

4. BUG?: HP-UX 10.20 and IO#gets followed by IO#puts

5. Socket stuck with puts over ADSL line

6. puts big amount of data to a Socket

7. problem with puts to a socket in Tcl 8.2

8. puts losing characters on socket write

9. Communication puts/gets

10. more socket junk: read/puts seems to be (way) more efficient than fcopy

11. Strange socket error on NT during puts command