ANNOUNCE: ftp.cs.berkeley.edu archive going away
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: ftp.cs.berkeley.edu archive going away

Quote:

>I mentioned several months ago that I plan to retire the Tcl/Tk
>distribution directory at ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/ucb/tcl once
>the Sun distribution directory is on-line.  That's been true for
>several months now, so I'm about to phase out the Berkeley
>distribution directory.  If anyone out there is managing a mirror
>of the Berkeley directory, please change over to use the Sun
>location instead: ftp://ftp.smli.com/pub/tcl.

>This will be the final warning;  within a few weeks, the only thing
>left in the Berkeley directory will be a README file pointing to the
>Sun directory.

I have a slight problem - ftp.smli.com will accept passive requests
from a socks-ified ftp client, but will not honour them:

Using SOCKS protocol ver. 4 to proxy server gateway.amdahl.com
Connected to rocky.smli.com.
220 rocky FTP server (Version 4.104 Tue Jun 20 17:34:41 PDT 1995) ready.
Name (ftp.smli.com:agc): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
Password:
230- Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
230- Local time is: Fri Nov 10 05:20:42 1995
230
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd pub/tcl
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls -al
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,153,12,45,167,234)
<<hangs for two minutes>>
425 Can't open data connection.
ftp>

Similarly, I'm having trouble getting through with Netscape (2.0b1,
FWIW) - it will get through, and download a file, but I wind up with a
short file.  Now I'm quite prepared to believe there are problems at
my end, but setting the debug level to 9 in ftp didn't show anything
different.

Alistair
--

Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.
[These are only my opinions, and certainly not those of Amdahl Corporation]

Tue, 28 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: ftp.cs.berkeley.edu archive going away

|> I have a slight problem - ftp.smli.com will accept passive requests
|> from a socks-ified ftp client, but will not honour them:
|>

|> Using SOCKS protocol ver. 4 to proxy server gateway.amdahl.com
|> Connected to rocky.smli.com.
|> 220 rocky FTP server (Version 4.104 Tue Jun 20 17:34:41 PDT 1995) ready.
|> Name (ftp.smli.com:agc): ftp
|> 331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
|> Password:
|> 230- Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
|> 230- Local time is: Fri Nov 10 05:20:42 1995
|> 230
|> Remote system type is UNIX.
|> Using binary mode to transfer files.
|> ftp> cd pub/tcl
|> 250 CWD command successful.
|> ftp> ls -al
|> 227 Entering Passive Mode (204,153,12,45,167,234)
|> <<hangs for two minutes>>
|> 425 Can't open data connection.
|> ftp>

I'm not sure what this means, but I'll pass it on to our system
administrators.

|> Similarly, I'm having trouble getting through with Netscape (2.0b1,
|> FWIW) - it will get through, and download a file, but I wind up with a
|> short file.  Now I'm quite prepared to believe there are problems at
|> my end, but setting the debug level to 9 in ftp didn't show anything
|> different.

There is a known protocol problem between Netscape and the Sun firewall.
The result is that you can't use Netscape to do FTP retrievals from
ftp.smli.com.  However, the ftp program should work OK.

Tue, 28 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: ftp.cs.berkeley.edu archive going away

Quote:

> I have a slight problem - ftp.smli.com will accept passive requests
> from a socks-ified ftp client, but will not honour them:

        We run socks 4.2 here and have no problems connecting:

gilligan:/home/naughton> rftp ftp.smli.com
spawn /usr/local/bin/rftp ftp.smli.com
Connected to ftp.smli.com.
220 rocky FTP server (Version 4.104 Tue Jun 20 17:34:41 PDT 1995) ready.
Name (ftp.smli.com:naughton): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.

230- Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
230- Local time is: Tue Nov 14 07:02:40 1995
230
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> prompt
Interactive mode off.
ftp> hash
Hash mark printing on (1024 bytes/hash mark).
ftp> lcd /home/naughton/source
Local directory now /home/naughton/source
ftp>

> Similarly, I'm having trouble getting through with Netscape (2.0b1,
> FWIW) - it will get through, and download a file, but I wind up with a
> short file.  Now I'm quite prepared to believe there are problems at
> my end, but setting the debug level to 9 in ftp didn't show anything
> different.

        Are you sure the problem is with socks?  It might be that
the system is trying to verify your identity with identd?
        It sounds like you may be having other problems.

--

         UNIX System and Network Administrator - Hull Trading Company
        Chicago | New York | Kansas City | Frankfurt | Hong Kong

Sat, 02 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. sprite.berkeley.edu and barkley.berkeley.edu are refusing connects

2. anarres.cs.berkeley.edu

3. How to connect to Smalltalk Archive (st-www.cs.uiuc.edu)

4. PATCHES: Patch Archive Updated http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tcl/patch/

5. Anon ftp to barkley.berkeley.edu

6. stupid question re:st.cs.uiuc.edu ftp

7. Oberon archive on ftp:wuarchive.wustl.edu

8. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

9. Announcing the Screamer Tool Repository: ftp.cis.upenn.edu

10. Announcing the Screamer Tool Repository: ftp.cis.upenn.edu

11. ANNOUNCE: Berkeley FTP site has moved

12. Help! ftp.cs.berkeley.edu DOWN!