Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows
Author Message
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Is it possible to change the Tk icon of a toplevel window to any other
icon ?

Thanks a lot in advance

--carlos

Carlos Erik Baumann, Ph.D.
Computational Mechanics Company, Inc.

7800 Shoal Creek Blvd. Suite 290E
Austin, TX 78757
Fax: 512-467-1382
Home: 512-336-8364
Work: 512-467-0618 (x512)

  carlosb.vcf
< 1K Download

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows
Look for the "winico" extension.  Check out the Scriptics
Tcl Resource Center (http://www.scriptics.com).

-- Scott

Quote:

> Is it possible to change the Tk icon of a toplevel window to any other
> icon ?

> Thanks a lot in advance

> --carlos

> Carlos Erik Baumann, Ph.D.
> Computational Mechanics Company, Inc.

> 7800 Shoal Creek Blvd. Suite 290E
> Austin, TX 78757
> Fax: 512-467-1382
> Home: 512-336-8364
> Work: 512-467-0618 (x512)

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows
Would it be logical to take the code in winico that allows the icon to be
changed and add it to the Windows Tk core for the appropriate wm command (wm
iconbitmap?).  Is this on the to-do list?  Seems like this would be a fix
for wm iconbitmap?
Thanks!

Quote:
> Look for the "winico" extension.  Check out the Scriptics
> Tcl Resource Center (http://www.scriptics.com).

> -- Scott

> > Is it possible to change the Tk icon of a toplevel window to any other
> > icon ?

> > Thanks a lot in advance

> > --carlos

> > Carlos Erik Baumann, Ph.D.
> > Computational Mechanics Company, Inc.

> > 7800 Shoal Creek Blvd. Suite 290E
> > Austin, TX 78757
> > Fax: 512-467-1382
> > Home: 512-336-8364
> > Work: 512-467-0618 (x512)

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Quote:

> Would it be logical to take the code in winico that allows the icon to be
> changed and add it to the Windows Tk core for the appropriate wm command (wm
> iconbitmap?).  Is this on the to-do list?  Seems like this would be a fix
> for wm iconbitmap?

Yes, sort of.  The winico stuff does a lot more than just fits into
the current wm scheme, without an easy piecemeal scheme to just get
the basics in.  We want to do something useful, but 100% backwards
compatible for the people who've used this on Unix for a while.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                          The Tcl Guy
   jeffrey.hobbs at scriptics.com         Scriptics Corp.

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Yeah, all I was interested in is the stuff that changes the icon on windows
reliably.

Quote:

> > Would it be logical to take the code in winico that allows the icon to
be
> > changed and add it to the Windows Tk core for the appropriate wm command
(wm
> > iconbitmap?).  Is this on the to-do list?  Seems like this would be a
fix
> > for wm iconbitmap?

> Yes, sort of.  The winico stuff does a lot more than just fits into
> the current wm scheme, without an easy piecemeal scheme to just get
> the basics in.  We want to do something useful, but 100% backwards
> compatible for the people who've used this on Unix for a while.

> --
>    Jeffrey Hobbs                          The Tcl Guy
>    jeffrey.hobbs at scriptics.com         Scriptics Corp.

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Quote:

> Yeah, all I was interested in is the stuff that changes the icon on windows
> reliably.

> > Yes, sort of.  The winico stuff does a lot more than just fits into
> > the current wm scheme, without an easy piecemeal scheme to just get
> > the basics in.  We want to do something useful, but 100% backwards
> > compatible for the people who've used this on Unix for a while.

If someone takes the time to make a patch from the winico stuff to
something that fits logically into 'wm icon*', we'd sure like to see it.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                          The Tcl Guy
   jeffrey.hobbs at scriptics.com         Scriptics Corp.

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows
We're discussing that....or at least doing something
similar.

-- Scott

Quote:
> Would it be logical to take the code in winico that allows the icon to be
> changed and add it to the Windows Tk core for the appropriate wm command (wm
> iconbitmap?).  Is this on the to-do list?  Seems like this would be a fix
> for wm iconbitmap?
> Thanks!

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Quote:

>> Yeah, all I was interested in is the stuff that changes the icon on windows
>> reliably.

>> > Yes, sort of.  The winico stuff does a lot more than just fits into
>> > the current wm scheme, without an easy piecemeal scheme to just get
>> > the basics in.  We want to do something useful, but 100% backwards
>> > compatible for the people who've used this on Unix for a while.

>If someone takes the time to make a patch from the winico stuff to
>something that fits logically into 'wm icon*', we'd sure like to see it.

>--
>   Jeffrey Hobbs                          The Tcl Guy
>   jeffrey.hobbs at scriptics.com         Scriptics Corp.

I have a clear Todo I would like to do it.

wm iconbitmap take an xbitmap as argument, right ?
can xbitmaps contain colors ? (I'm a bit blind on that eye :-).
can xbitmaps have masks (as contained in .ICO files), otherwise
we have to define a default transparent color ( RGB(255,255,255) ).
The xbitmaps then have to be changed into a bmp format internally,
or are they converted to the internal Tk image format under UNIX ?
Reading in an xbitmap and map it to BMP sounds easy,
Reading in an xbitmap , map it to a Tk internal bitmap (should be in the
core), then convert it to BMP format (sniffing Jans Img sources) sounds a
bit more complex.
(the last sentence implies that i have no idea about the internal Tk
 bitmap format, is there any doc about it or is reading the source the best
 way ?)

Quote:
>something that fits logically into 'wm icon*', we'd sure like to see it.

The question is, if you have seen it, would you like it to integrate then :-?

Leo
--
Leo Schubert, Brueckner&Jarosch Ing.-GmbH Erfurt, Germany 99084

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Quote:
>I have a clear Todo I would like to do it.

wrong args # , should be : "If I have clear TODO"

Leo
--
Leo Schubert, Brueckner&Jarosch Ing.-GmbH Erfurt, Germany 99084

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Quote:

> >> Yeah, all I was interested in is the stuff that changes the icon on windows
> >> reliably.
> wm iconbitmap take an xbitmap as argument, right ?
> can xbitmaps contain colors ? (I'm a bit blind on that eye :-).
> can xbitmaps have masks (as contained in .ICO files), otherwise
> we have to define a default transparent color ( RGB(255,255,255) ).
> The xbitmaps then have to be changed into a bmp format internally,
> or are they converted to the internal Tk image format under UNIX ?
> Reading in an xbitmap and map it to BMP sounds easy,
> Reading in an xbitmap , map it to a Tk internal bitmap (should be in the
> core), then convert it to BMP format (sniffing Jans Img sources) sounds a
> bit more complex.
> (the last sentence implies that i have no idea about the internal Tk
>  bitmap format, is there any doc about it or is reading the source the best
>  way ?)

> >something that fits logically into 'wm icon*', we'd sure like to see it.

> The question is, if you have seen it, would you like it to integrate then :-?

Well, perhaps...  Seriously, if it is a working solution for Windows,
and doeesn't change anything about the Unix/Mac functionality, then
that would be a net positive.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                          The Tcl Guy
   jeffrey.hobbs at scriptics.com         Scriptics Corp.

Wed, 08 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

:wm iconbitmap take an xbitmap as argument, right ?
:can xbitmaps contain colors ? (I'm a bit blind on that eye :-).

No - xpixmaps contain colors - xbitmaps contain only on or off indicators.

--

<*> O- <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>  Windows is like that...

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

Quote:

> :wm iconbitmap take an xbitmap as argument, right ?
> :can xbitmaps contain colors ? (I'm a bit blind on that eye :-).

> No - xpixmaps contain colors - xbitmaps contain only on or off indicators.

However, I've used window managers (FVWM specifically) that handled
not just multicoloured icons, but non-rectangular ones too.  Since
icons under X are actually passed to the WM as Pixmaps (IIRC), it is
definitely easy enough to handle multiple colours there without great
effort.  Non-rectangular (i.e. with a mask) I know less about; I'd
probably need to read the FVWM sources to figure out how they do it...

Donal.
--

-- The small advantage of not having California being part of my country would
   be overweighed by having California as a heavily-armed rabid weasel on our

Sun, 12 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Toplevel Window's Icons under Microsoft Windows

:> :wm iconbitmap take an xbitmap as argument, right ?
:> :can xbitmaps contain colors ? (I'm a bit blind on that eye :-).

:However, I've used window managers (FVWM specifically) that handled
:not just multicoloured icons, but non-rectangular ones too.  Since

It would be neat to improve upon the wm command to include a
wm iconpixmap and add a mask option for both the pixmap and bitmap.

Anyone game to try?  Perhaps this is how to hook in the winico code!

--

<*> O- <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>  Windows is like that...

Sun, 12 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Positioning toplevel windows on MS-Windows without ghosting?

2. toplevel windows' stack order

3. 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.1, Windows 98 and Windows N

4. VRML PlugIn for Microsoft's Internet Explorer (Windows 3.x)

5. icon image in toplevel window

6. Wrapping 'Windows' Windows

7. HELP:Stacking windows with a 'olwm'-windows manager

8. Making the Tk toplevel window a child windows of my Win32 app

9. 'Always On Top' for toplevel window

10. Winico behaviour - Icon in tray but window never disappear from Windows taskbar

11. Changing root window icon in Python on Windows

12. Associating an icon with a window, VW 2.5.1, Windows NT 4.0