configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables
Author Message
 configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

Hi,
   I've tried configuring TCL by following the 'How to compile TCL'
instructions at http://www.*-*-*.com/
occured when I type ./configure. The output at the shell is like this
:

checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables

Please advise what to do.

Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:31:54 GMT
 configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

Quote:

>    I've tried configuring TCL by following the 'How to compile TCL'
> instructions at http://www.tcl.tk/doc/howto/compile.html. Problem
> occured when I type ./configure. The output at the shell is like this
> :

> checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
> checking for gcc... (cached) cc
> checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables

> Please advise what to do.

Since it says "cached", my guess is that you are building from
sources that aren't "clean", that they have been used to build
on another system.  Don't do that.

The best way to build is to build outside the source dirs, with
different directories for each build-type and platform.  You
just call
        /path/to/tcl/unix/configure --with-options ...
        make
alternatively you can try a 'make distclean' where you tried
before and then do 'make'.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:59:22 GMT

1. Compiling TK : configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

2. configure error: cannot find a cracklib header file

3. Cannot regenerate configure from configure.in

4. g95: installation problem, cannot exec 'f951': No such file or directory

5. configuration problem in a fortran compiler

6. Compiler error when link to the library created by Compaq Visual Fortran

7. cannot configure tclhttpd3.3

8. Compiler error (or maybe compiler problem?!)

9. debugger problem with DVF 5.0 watching variables : CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated

10. Problem with installation -- error in readline.c

11. Creating Selector (CS / DS) in WinXP

12. Can't configure pygtk+ or pygimp for installation