Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4
Author Message
 Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4

Hello,

why is the performence to open files over a network in Tcl 8.4 many more
slowly than with Tcl 8.3

If I open many files over a Windows Network it is very slow.
It is possible to activate the old open mechanism from Tcl 8.3? or
exists another solution for this problem?

Best regards,

   Falk

Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:29:14 GMT
 Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4

Quote:
> Hello,

> why is the performence to open files over a network in Tcl 8.4 many more
> slowly than with Tcl 8.3

> If I open many files over a Windows Network it is very slow.
> It is possible to activate the old open mechanism from Tcl 8.3? or
> exists another solution for this problem?

> Best regards,

>    Falk

We had the same problem. Using ntfilemon.exe from sysinternals.com
shows quite a lot
of file access. (source file -> 1 access for every directory part !)
It seems a result of calling "file normalize" in the C-Code of TCL.
After commenting out those calls in "source" and "open" ntfilemon
shows only some hundreds entries instead of some thousands !!! There
were no problems since now after commenting out this calls. Don't know
why they are in ...

Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:32:51 GMT
 Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4
Am 24 Apr 2004 04:32:51 -0700 schrieb Uwe Traum:

Quote:
> of file access. (source file -> 1 access for every directory part !)
> It seems a result of calling "file normalize" in the C-Code of TCL.

do you mean the call Tcl_FSGetNormalizedPath? I comment it out in
the Tcl_FSOpenFileChannel but this have no affect. Have I use the wrong
call?

Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:31:01 GMT

1. Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

2. CONST Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

3. 8.4 vs 8.3

4. problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

5. Tcl 8.4 more DOSsy than 8.3 ?

6. trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

7. glob difference between 8.3 and 8.4

8. Tk 8.3 -> 8.4, surprisingly slow text widget

9. cross-version voodoo: handling 8.3 / 8.4 private structure changes

10. Speed problem with Tcl 8.4 and file operations

11. Tcl/tk 8.0 vs. 8.4 Question

12. TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?