Patching tclsh and wish upon installation
Author Message
 Patching tclsh and wish upon installation

I remember having read here about some way to patch tclsh and wish, so that I
can distribute the binaries with my application, without forcing my clients to
install them in the place I specified during compilation.

I know it's possible to specify them with env vars, though if there's another
way to do so (as I believe there is), I prefer to.

I think this item was addressed in a Tcl WorkShop, though I'm not sure.

Can anybody help me with this ? Email as well as post to c.l.t.
I'm working in a bunch of Unix platforms.

TIA.

--
?1997  Pablo Ariel Kohan | All opinions expressed herein are my own and

  http://www.*-*-*.com/   | stated. Permission is hereby granted for use
  Tel:  +972-3-6450052   | in follow-up articles, FAQ's and digests.

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Patching tclsh and wish upon installation

Quote:
>I remember having read here about some way to patch tclsh and wish, so that I
>can distribute the binaries with my application, without forcing my clients to
>install them in the place I specified during compilation.

It was noted at the workshop that the variables related to TCL_LIBRARY and
TK_LIBRARY (I think both) are stored with extra null space (like 80 bytes?)
so that you can just patch the binaries.  The Sun Tcl group uses such a
tool, but hasn't released it (for no particular reason I think).  You might
try popping tclsh into a hex editor with a search function, or just trying
to get the attention of someone at Sun.

--
    Jeffrey Hobbs               "I'm really just a Tcl-bot"
    jeff.hobbs at acm.org | Jeffrey.Hobbs at oen.siemens.de

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem loading .so into wish/tixwish (tclsh is OK) Problem loading .so into wish/tixwish (tclsh is OK)

2. Performance difference between tclsh.exe and wish.exe

3. Controlling a program via a pipe works with tclsh but not with wish (on Windows XP)

4. launching wish from tclsh

5. ANNOUNCE: Three WISHes for 2006 (WISH Supernotepad 2006, WISH Command Center 2006, WISH CD-Writer 2006)

6. "extended" tclsh / wish

7. Thread result is different in tclsh and wish ??

8. TIP #216: Handling Command-Line Options in Tclsh and Wish

9. tclpython output in tclsh, but not in wish

10. TIP #151: Remove -e: Command Line Option from tclsh and wish

11. need tclsh&wish for Reliant UNIX (SINIX-Y)

12. Fonts in wish console or tclsh?