Tnm 3.0.0 and tcl8.3 and tcl8.4
Author Message
 Tnm 3.0.0 and tcl8.3 and tcl8.4

Hi Tclers,

I compiled Scotty packge against tcl8.3 sucessfully under Sun Solaris
8.0 last year and use it without any problem.

I got the ActiveTcl 8.4; installed it and run it OK.
When I given "packge require Tnm" I got error:

Couldn't load file "/usr/local/lib/tnm3.0.0.so": ld.so.1: wish8.4:
fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/tnm3.0.0.so: symbol
TclpCreateDirectory: referenced symbol not found.

Question #1: what is relocation error; why a shared library compiled
against 8.3 cannot be used against 8.4.

Question #2: Why symbol TclpCreateDirectory: referenece symbol not
found? Scotty packge need TclpCreateDirectory and 8.4 no longer
support it?

Question #3: Any sources that you can suggest me to read so I can
understand more about this relocation error? I searched at Google but
find no luck.

Thanks,
tak

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:29:50 GMT
 Tnm 3.0.0 and tcl8.3 and tcl8.4

Quote:

> Question #1: what is relocation error; why a shared library compiled
> against 8.3 cannot be used against 8.4.

This is perfectly normal that non-stubs-enabled extension will not
necessarily function across Tcl versions, especially when private
Tcl functions are called.

Quote:
> Question #2: Why symbol TclpCreateDirectory: referenece symbol not
> found? Scotty packge need TclpCreateDirectory and 8.4 no longer
> support it?

Tclp* means Tcl private function - not part of the public API.
Tcl 8.4 has a completely new virtual file system (VFS) layer which
replaced most of the private file system related APIs.  There is
likely a public API that should be used instead.  This is a Tnm bug.

Quote:
> Question #3: Any sources that you can suggest me to read so I can
> understand more about this relocation error? I searched at Google but
> find no luck.

Just recompile with 8.4, or better yet fix the Tnm base sources.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:34:40 GMT

1. behaves differently in Tcl8.5 than in Tcl8.4

2. Tcl8.0 vs. Tcl8.4 in WinXP

3. ANN: tcl8.4.2++.pdf, tcl8.4.2++.chm

4. BUG: Tcl_AppendResult broken in tcl8.3.4 and tcl8.4

5. Difference between tcl8.0 and tcl8.3 entry widget

7. BUG in tcl8.0.5 and tcl8.1 with variable scope

8. Tcl8.1b1 regexp's are now 17 times slower than in Tcl8.0.4

9. regexp in Tcl8.1 is 7 times slower then Tcl8.0 in this simple example

10. Tcl8.0p2, Tcl8.1a1: BUG+PATCH: lsort -dictionary compares signed chars

11. Exception from Itcl_GetContext() with tcl8.4 - with tcl8.3 it works. Bug in tcl8.4?

12. tcl8.4 <--> tcl8.0 cnet-network-simulator, compilation problem --> got it