"Bad cursor spec" ???
Author Message
 "Bad cursor spec" ???

Hello,
I am trying to get the mouse pointer to change to a bitmap of mine when
certain conditions are true.  The technique used works fine in unix, but
now I'm trying to use it under Windows 95 (save us), and it won't work.
Here is an example of the faulty code:

% canvas .c
% pack .c

I've tried to use a backslash before "pics" instead of a forward-slash,
and an absolute pathname, _and_ changing dir's to the dir containing
"blank.xbm", all to no avail.  Here is a copy of the bitmap, if it
helps:

#define blank_width 1
#define blank_height 1
#define blank_x_hot 0
#define blank_y_hot 0
state unsigned char blank_bits[] = {
  0x01, };

Thank you in advance,
Eric Smith

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Bad cursor spec" ???

Quote:
>Hello,
>I am trying to get the mouse pointer to change to a bitmap of mine when
>certain conditions are true.  The technique used works fine in unix, but
>now I'm trying to use it under Windows 95 (save us), and it won't work.
>Here is an example of the faulty code:

From tk8.0/win/README [Note: while this says beta, I'm pretty sure this
was unpacked from the 8.0 final release - a quick look at the changes from
the two patches doesn't seem to indicate that this has changed]

5. Known Bugs
-------------

Here is the current list of known bugs/missing features for the
Windows beta version of Tk:

- There is no support for custom cursors/application icons.  The core
  set of X cursors is supported, although you cannot change their color.

HTH,
Ross
--

W.M. Keck Center for Computational Biology
Department of Biochemistry & Cell Biology

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Bad cursor spec" ???

Quote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to get the mouse pointer to change to a bitmap of mine when
> certain conditions are true.  The technique used works fine in unix, but
> now I'm trying to use it under Windows 95 (save us), and it won't work.
> Here is an example of the faulty code:

> % canvas .c
> % pack .c

I have the exact same problem as you (even down the the name of the
cursor file!!).  From reading the man pages I guess the Windows version
doesn't support using a file for the cursor bitmap so we are screwed!
You can only use the cursor names and there doesn't seem to be a named
cursor which is blank!

--
Brad Pepers
Linux Canada Inc.            Home of Linux products in Canada!

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Bad cursor spec" ???

> I am trying to get the mouse pointer to change to a bitmap of mine
>... under Windows 95 ...

From the Readme file that comes with Tcl/Tk 8.0 for Windows 95/NT:

6. Known Bugs/Missing Features
------------------------------
- There is no support for custom cursors/application icons.  The core
  set of X cursors is supported, although you cannot change their color.

* Gerald W. Lester                       | Voice:  +1 (504)-889-2784
*
* Computerized Processes Unlimited, Inc. | FAX:    +1 (504)-889-2799
*

*
* Metairie, LA 70001                     | Web:    http://www.cpu.com
*

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. iwidgets messagebox - bad cursor spec

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. Printing "bad" font

4. "ep": Bad News

5. "Bad Managers" website

6. "bad file descriptor" from tcp sockets

7. "bad synchronous description" in Xilinx WebPack

8. Checking strings for "bad" characters

9. What is "BAD ASSUMPTION"?

10. bad option "identify"

11. bad option "_scrollWidget" when Freewrapped

12. "Bad DLL calling convention" error