snack sound and multiple sound cards
Author Message
 snack sound and multiple sound cards

Can snack play more than one sound at the same time?
I have two sound cards and want to play different sounds at the same time.

I use tcl8.4.1 under Linux.

Regards,
Christian

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:50:55 GMT
 snack sound and multiple sound cards
Yes and no, Snack can play two sounds at the same time by mixing them
on-the-fly and playing the result using one of your sound cards. Currently
all sound output has to be on one card at a time. I guess you could create
two Tcl processes one for each sound card and synchronize playback somehow.

Kare

Quote:

> Can snack play more than one sound at the same time?
> I have two sound cards and want to play different sounds at the same time.

> I use tcl8.4.1 under Linux.

> Regards,
> Christian

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:19:47 GMT
 snack sound and multiple sound cards

Quote:

> Yes and no, Snack can play two sounds at the same time by mixing them
> on-the-fly and playing the result using one of your sound cards. Currently
> all sound output has to be on one card at a time. I guess you could create
> two Tcl processes one for each sound card and synchronize playback somehow.

Ok, I'll try with 2 tcl process. Now I play a sound on my second
soundcard after setting snack::audio selectOutput /dev/dsp2
But how can I control the volume on the second card? I tried to set the
defaultMixer to /dev/mixer2 ...but I can only control the vulume on the
first card.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Christian

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:30:20 GMT
 snack sound and multiple sound cards

Quote:

>> Yes and no, Snack can play two sounds at the same time by mixing them
>> on-the-fly and playing the result using one of your sound cards.
>> Currently all sound output has to be on one card at a time.

> Ok, I'll try with 2 tcl process. Now I play a sound on my second
> soundcard after setting snack::audio selectOutput /dev/dsp2

I have a related problem: I want to record 4 channel audio (from a
soundcard with 4 input channels). On windows the drivers give me
two seperate audio devices for channels 1,2 and 3,4.

Currently if I start two sounds recording together with different input
devices I get the same data in each sound.

Kare, what changes might be necessary to make the audio input/output
devices non-global. It seems from the -device option and from a quick
look at the code that you've at least begun trying to do this.

I need to solve this and I will allocate some programmer time to it so
pointers would be appreciated.

Steve

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 06:49:38 GMT
 snack sound and multiple sound cards
I'll look into this and get back to you with an estimate of the changes
needed.

Kare

Quote:

> I have a related problem: I want to record 4 channel audio (from a
> soundcard with 4 input channels). On windows the drivers give me
> two seperate audio devices for channels 1,2 and 3,4.

> Currently if I start two sounds recording together with different input
> devices I get the same data in each sound.

> Kare, what changes might be necessary to make the audio input/output
> devices non-global. It seems from the -device option and from a quick
> look at the code that you've at least begun trying to do this.

> I need to solve this and I will allocate some programmer time to it so
> pointers would be appreciated.

> Steve

Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:10:49 GMT

1. clipper dos sound to windows sound card

2. Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?

3. How do you use your sound card and sound VI to get sound levels off a microphone.

4. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.4

5. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.3

6. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.1

7. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0

8. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.1b1

9. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.7

10. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.6

11. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.5

12. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.4