file select box with "new directory" button
Author Message
 file select box with "new directory" button

I'm looking for a file select box with a "new directory" button.
Anyone have one handy I could use?

I have a tck/tk app that helps a user choose files & directories, but
in 1 instance, a "make new directory" button would be very handy.

Much obliged, Bob
--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky |          ||||      We sure       ||||    <>

<>   Albuquerque, NM  USA    |      ||||       here!        ||||    <>

Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:53:16 GMT
 file select box with "new directory" button

Quote:

> I'm looking for a file select box with a "new directory" button.
> Anyone have one handy I could use?

> I have a tck/tk app that helps a user choose files & directories, but
> in 1 instance, a "make new directory" button would be very handy.

On Windows tk_getSaveFile has one, I take it you are on Unix since it does
not there.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |

Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:58:51 GMT
 file select box with "new directory" button

Quote:

> I have a tck/tk app that helps a user choose files & directories, but
> in 1 instance, a "make new directory" button would be very handy.

If anyone wants to contribute a small patch so that the Unix Tk file box
(in tkfbox.tcl inside Tk's library files; patching xmfbox.tcl as well is
a bonus!) has a "mkdir" button, that'd be great. It should be possible
to get the feature into both the next release of 8.4 and 8.5, and no TIP
will be necessary (assuming no script-level changes, which there
shouldn't be). Although there is no strict need for an "open" dialog to
include a mkdir button, it won't hurt either.

In short, look everyone! A chance to do an easy contribution. :-)

Donal.

Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:32:59 GMT
 file select box with "new directory" button

Quote:

> > I have a tck/tk app that helps a user choose files & directories, but
> > in 1 instance, a "make new directory" button would be very handy.

> a bonus!) has a "mkdir" button, that'd be great. It should be possible
> to get the feature into both the next release of 8.4 and 8.5, and no TIP
> will be necessary (assuming no script-level changes, which there
> shouldn't be). Although there is no strict need for an "open" dialog to
> include a mkdir button, it won't hurt either.

Note, that there is a set of file dialogs already usable for Tcl/Tk in
combination with Tile.
They were written by Schelte Bron and can be found via this wiki page:

http://mini.net/tcl/15897

It features not only a "new directory" button, but also a bit more than
that!

Torsten

Tue, 09 Dec 2008 18:15:05 GMT
 file select box with "new directory" button

 >> I have a tck/tk app that helps a user choose files & directories, but
 >> in 1 instance, a "make new directory" button would be very handy.

I should have mentioned Linux preference.

 >If anyone wants to contribute a small patch so that the Unix Tk file box
 >(in tkfbox.tcl inside Tk's library files; patching xmfbox.tcl as well is
 >a bonus!) has a "mkdir" button, that'd be great. It should be possible
 >to get the feature into both the next release of 8.4 and 8.5, and no TIP
 >will be necessary (assuming no script-level changes, which there
 >shouldn't be). Although there is no strict need for an "open" dialog to
 >include a mkdir button, it won't hurt either.

 >In short, look everyone! A chance to do an easy contribution. :-)

Ok, I started looking at tkfbox.tcl & did some haxxor.  But, I'm not
quite sure how to test it.  Ok, so I'm enough of a tcl/tk neophyte & I
don't quite get it.  How do I code up a test program that will use my
hack.

I have a test program using tk_getOpenFile - what do I add to it so it
will use the hack.

I don't have tcl or tk source on my box, just a typical Slackware
distro.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky |          ||||      We sure       ||||    <>

<>   Albuquerque, NM  USA    |      ||||       here!        ||||    <>

Fri, 12 Dec 2008 02:21:06 GMT
 file select box with "new directory" button

 > >> I have a tck/tk app that helps a user choose files & directories, but
 > >> in 1 instance, a "make new directory" button would be very handy.

 >I should have mentioned Linux preference.

 > >If anyone wants to contribute a small patch so that the Unix Tk file box
 > >(in tkfbox.tcl inside Tk's library files; patching xmfbox.tcl as well is
 > >a bonus!) has a "mkdir" button, that'd be great. It should be possible
 > >to get the feature into both the next release of 8.4 and 8.5, and no TIP
 > >will be necessary (assuming no script-level changes, which there
 > >shouldn't be). Although there is no strict need for an "open" dialog to
 > >include a mkdir button, it won't hurt either.

 > >In short, look everyone! A chance to do an easy contribution. :-)

 >Ok, I started looking at tkfbox.tcl & did some haxxor.  But, I'm not
 >quite sure how to test it.  Ok, so I'm enough of a tcl/tk neophyte & I
 >don't quite get it.  How do I code up a test program that will use my
 >hack.

 >I have a test program using tk_getOpenFile - what do I add to it so it
 >will use the hack.

After beating my head on it for a little more time, my test program
now sources my tkfbox.tcl hack, & it works to my liking (tho probably
not yours).

I've sent the code off to Donal - making an assumption based on the
inference that he's actually interested in it - & will provide it to
anyone who asks for it.

Much obliged, Bob

<>  Albuquerque, NM 87107      |  www.xmission.com/~bgeer  <>
<>  505-343-8894               |                           <>

Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:53:05 GMT
 file select box with "new directory" button

Quote:

> How do I code up a test program that will use my hack[ed tkfbox.tcl].

Assuming the code is in the right namespace, just source it and run
[tk_getSaveFile]. That's what I do when maintaining the code.

Donal.

Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:20:56 GMT

1. couldn't open "evaluation.data": no such file or directory

2. ANNOUNCE: new "plus"- and "dash"-patches available for Tcl7.5a2/Tk4.1a2

3. File Loaded Drop Box "None" Record

4. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

5. iwidgets::Checkbox::select calls "invoke" instead of "select"

6. Alternative to "select" clause

7. Problem with "SELECT"

8. Problem with "SELECT"

9. "Selected Component" problem with GNAT

10. TclSqlite and "SELECT * INTO" question

11. tkTable - selecting a row "event"

12. "select from" command