TKCon: How to prompt user?
Author Message
 TKCon: How to prompt user?

Hello out there,
mostly by accident I stumbled over TKCon. It's great, it's
unbelievable.
Working with the normal TclShell I learned to prompt the user for
input like
  puts -nonewline stdout "Enter something: "; flush stdout
  gets stdin input
This doesn't work with TKCon. Can someone tell me how to do it here ?

Thanks
Helmut

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TKCon: How to prompt user?

Quote:

> Hello out there,
> mostly by accident I stumbled over TKCon. It's great, it's
> unbelievable.
> Working with the normal TclShell I learned to prompt the user for
> input like
>   puts -nonewline stdout "Enter something: "; flush stdout
>   gets stdin input
> This doesn't work with TKCon. Can someone tell me how to do it here ?

Jeff will probably answer this later..

In the version of tkcon that I am using, the stdin and stdout
(puts/gets) happen in the xterm that tkcon was started from.

There is a command tkcon_puts that does a puts inside of the
console, but I am not sure what the 'gets' equivalent of that
is.

I think there are some docs available from

http://www.purl.com/net/hobbs/

--Dan

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TKCon: How to prompt user?

Hello out there,
sorry, I forgot to mention
- I am working under Windows 95
- my version of TKCon is 1.6

The about box lists a web site where I would probably find the answer
but all day long I was unable to connect.

Helmut

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TKCon: How to prompt user?

> Working with the normal TclShell I learned to prompt the user for
> input like
>   puts -nonewline stdout "Enter something: "; flush stdout
>   gets stdin input
> This doesn't work with TKCon. Can someone tell me how to do it here ?

There is a [tkcon gets] which pops up a window that the user can type
in, which then returns whatever the user types.  It's a text window
instead of an entry, so simply hitting return doesn't return the data.

I'm open for better suggestions, but most people don't really use
that CLI-based design when they have the GUI available to them.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TKCon: How to prompt user?
Thanks Jeffrey,

Quote:
>There is a [tkcon gets] which pops up a window that the user can type
>in, which then returns whatever the user types.  It's a text window
>instead of an entry, so simply hitting return doesn't return the data.

one moe question: How would the script find out if it runs under a
plain Tcl shell or nder TKCon ?

Best regards
Helmut

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TKCon: How to prompt user?

> >There is a [tkcon gets] which pops up a window that the user can type
> >in, which then returns whatever the user types.  It's a text window
> >instead of an entry, so simply hitting return doesn't return the data.

> one moe question: How would the script find out if it runs under a
> plain Tcl shell or nder TKCon ?

Check to see if the [tkcon] command exists would be the easiest.

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TKCon: How to prompt user?
Hi Jeffrey,
you see by my questions that I am all new to Tcl.

Quote:

>Check to see if the [tkcon] command exists would be the easiest.

Thanks for your patience
Helmut

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. A silly tkCon question for Jeffrey Hobbs (or other tkCon user)

2. Tkcon - not sourcing tkcon.cfg?

3. Q: TKCon and tkcon.cfg

4. POLL: TkCon Users: feature use and future features

5. getline/user prompt question

6. prompting a user

7. newbie Q: how do you re prompt user?

8. User prompted Block creation.

9. VisualAge users VisualAge users VisualAge users.

10. Q: J. Hobbs Tkcon for Python

11. starting RamDebugger under tkcon

12. Tkcon + gets stdin